Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for a lifetime: A2, or some alternative?

CBI

One Too Many
yes, just helping, of course up to the choice of the buyer. In re Langlitz, if I were to buy a bicker jacket, I would hands down go with Good Wear's moto offerings as I find the leather character MUCH nicer than L's cowhide and goat. Or, I would purchase a vintage original horse hide moto jacket. There are many on eBay.

pipvh

Practically Family
pipvh - the used jacket I tried on in the shop is basically that one you posted with cargo pockets and hand-warmers. Does that bounce it back into the "rough copy" territory? I'll try to post a pic when I have more time.

Yes, just the hand-warmers alone do that.

A thought: if you like the idea of the M-422a/G-1, you'll probably want a 'real' one at some point, so why not get it now? The Eastman Leather repro is excellent, and by all accounts the Good Wear is indistinguishable from a box-fresh jacket from 1942. Do a search on VLJ - tons of info there.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Silver Dollar said:
I guess this is what happens when you ask for comments on what you want.[huh] . The biggest problem is that everyone is making the decision for you on the basis of their personal preferences. If I were you, I would definitely go with what makes you happy and not what makes everyone else happy. You're the one that has to wear it and like how it looks on you. I used to think that when people saw me wearing the different A2's I own with the patches and nose art on the back, they knew what they were looking at. I found out that most folks out there never even cared what I was wearing. They didn't recognize the correctness of color or which contract my jacket was. I even went to a militaria show in my city where no one there even noticed what my jacket looked like. Nobody even gave me a glance. What does this all have to do with your choice? Just go with what you like. You're the only one that you have to make happy. That's all that really matters. Sorry guys, I have to tell it like I see it.

Hey guys, I just want to make sure no one mistook my intentions here with my post. I'm not and never will criticize anyone for wanting super accuracy in a jacket. I was just pointing out that everyone has a different preference and I respect that. To be honest, I would never wear an A2 with the wrong color, wrong leather, hand warmer pockets or any glaring mod. For the record, I really like the Goodwear A2. Off the record, ---the same thing.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I have a couple of Langlitz jackets and I find them to be great, but I would also look elsewhere for an A2. As others have suggested Goodwear here in Seattle does beautiful work. Aero and Eastman are also quite nice. If you don't want a strict repro, Aero will work with you to customize your jacket.

I would disagree with CBI in terms of the Langlitz leather quality. It's some of the nicest leather I've seen and if you want a biker jacket, they are one of the best. The same reason I would go with Goodwear for an A2, is the same reason I would go with Langlitz for a moto style jacket- it's in the details. As far as I know, Goodwear doesn't offer any motorcycle style jackets.

In terms of alternatives, take a look around! There are so many different styles and leather types. Personally, the A2 is one style of jacket that I don't have. Just has never done it for me, but is still a great style. If I was going for an A2, I think I would get one like Diego's http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=49760.

leonardg

New in Town
Next week I'll make a day trip up to Good Wear. You folks are a persuasive bunch.

Also, I'll probably end up with a USN style jacket in any event, for many of the reasons CBI described.

On my phone, so I'm keeping this short. Thanks again!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HighandDry said:
Nice jacket no doubt, but not what I would consider a motorcycle jacket. Like I said above, I believe that the difference is in the details.

Really? So what do you consider to be a motor cycle jacket? There were many different styles as there were for flying jackets. Perhaps it is any leather jacket you wear whilst riding a bike.;) lol lol lol

Peacoat

Bartender
aswatland said:
Several of us on this thread post regularly on VLJ and they would simply point you in the right direction to Good Wear if you want a great A2. There's no head ripping off there!;)

Andrew is right, as usual.

Once you get a flight jacket and start studying the A2, you will wish you had gone with the John's version to begin with. Even though no one else will notice the details, you will.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
Really? So what do you consider to be a motor cycle jacket? There were many different styles as there were for flying jackets. Perhaps it is any leather jacket you wear whilst riding a bike.;) lol lol lol
For some that might be true... leather = moto jacket. For me, the Cali is nice casual wear but falls short in some respects if it's to be used as moto gear.

1. non zippered hand warmers
2. sleeves too short
3. no wind flap
4. no button on collar

I could live w/o the last two but the sleeve length and lack of pocket zippers are deal killers.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
aswatland said:

It's a beautiful vintage styled jacket, but not really that functional for riding (the wind blowing up my back and up the sleeves would drive me crazy) . That being said, if you like the style- great!

CBI

One Too Many
John offers 4 or 5 moto jackets. They are reproductions of VINTAGE moto jackets w/o some of the ergonomic modern additions. The Langlitz leather is nice for cowhide but I hands down prefer horse hence my comments.

FYI, I just purchased a mint AN-6552 navy flight jacket - original, made in1943 - looking forward to this one!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Style is important

Aside from quality, which you will find with any of the fine makes, you should make sure to pick a style that will stand the test of time. While leather is always in style, some designs are not. A-2 design will remain classic, as will other basic designs like the cafe racer style. Aviator style bombers come in many variations so its a matter of personal taste IMO. Classical jacket styles abound, but if you choose something trendy, the look may not be very favorable as fashion changes.

My daily use favorite is a bomber style calf leather driving jacket with discreet matching color piping on sleeves commissioned by Baldessarini, the former highline of Hugo Boss. Its totally classic, finely tailored, and will last as long as it is regularly maintained.

Bomber style is perfect for driving while biker styles are often form fitting and less comfortable in a varied driving positions, geared more for protection than comfort. Suggest you try on various makes and styles before deciding on a heirloom choice.

Regarding size, you can always size up a little to allow for aging growth, one size up perhaps. Other than that you may use it as motivation to keep in shape. Its healthier for you anyways.

Have fun with it..

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
P5640blouson said:
Regarding size, you can always size up a little to allow for aging growth, one size up perhaps. Other than that you may use it as motivation to keep in shape. Its healthier for you anyways.

Have fun with it..
That last bit is a topic that's been beat to death in other threads. I'll kick the horse one more time by recommending you get a jacket that fits you here and now. I've maintained the same suit jacket size for the past 10 years and, if all goes well, will stay a 42 for the next 10 too.lol

Yup, one more motivator to do cardio and hit the weights.

CBI

One Too Many
one thing about function and it. The vintage jackets are not as ergonomic as the new ones but I think they look a million times better. With quality horse hide, one can get the jacket wet, wear it wet and it molds quite well to one's body shape - done this a million times. This helps the fit, sleeve length, ride up, etc.

This is making things complicated and a little off topic but I think Good Wear moto jacket options are still extremely viable even from a practicality standpoint.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Don't R/O a Gibson & Barnes (Flightsuits) jacket . G&B is in the San Diego metroplex. If you are in San Diego, you can go grom the downtown area their light rail, called The Trolley, which stops 1-2 blocks from the G&B store. I did same when I was in SD last fall and left their store with an Expedition (Indiana Jones) and an A-2. Great people, service, store, and product! You will not be disappointed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany