Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp in talks to Play The Thin Man

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
One thing I KNOW will bug us all right off the bat- When the media says that Johnny Depp is playing the Thin Man. I can see those lousy entertainment shows teasing the story with "Johnny Depp is ready to lose some weight so he can be the next Thin Man." LOL!!!!

Effingham

A-List Customer
The story title "thin man" does not refer to the Nick Charles character.

I've been wondering if anyone actually knew that.

The "thin man" of the title was eccentric inventor Prof. Wynant.

I love the series. My favorite line in the whole thing is in the second movie, when Nick and Nora go to visit her family, and the scary matriarch greets Nick at the door with "Hello, Nick, Ole Ass."

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I think it should be left alone too. However, I think if they are going to do it, Robert Downy Jr. would be a much better choice for Nick than Johnny Depp.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about Anne Hathaway for Nora........

anne-hathaway-natural-breast-implants.jpg

.....of course Johnny will need some lifts........

WH1

Practically Family
always kind of pictured George Clooney as the only one who could pull this off. Depp is too intense.
Female wise wow, socialite type, is Nicole Kidman too old?
I just hope they stay true to the era, keep the dialogue light and quick like the originals and keep the modern profanity to a minimum. Hopefully they will work on keeping the eccentric characters Nick associated with. The small time hoodlums and shady pals he had were sometimes the best part of the story.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget that Ol' Johnny is 48...

And William Powell was 42 when he first played Nick Charles.
I still think that Christina Ricci would make a great Nora. Besides Myrna Loy was 29 when she played Nora. Not that far off really.
They have filmed together twice before in completely different types of films and they have a great screen chemistry together like Powell & Loy did.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
This just in from the Internet Movie Database..."Rob Marshall is on board to direct the Warner Bros. remake of the comedy-crime movie "The Thin Man," starring Johnny Depp, they confirmed Monday. Marshall directed Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," which hits theaters May 20. He will also produce, along with John DeLuca. Depp gets the part of Nick Charles, a former detective who, with his wealthy wife, Nora, solves a murder mystery. The part of Nora hasn't been cast, but is sure to be sought-after. William Powell played Nick in the 1934 original, and Myrna Loy played Nora."

I have mixed feelings on this. The orginal film is a classic and perfect and IMHO and can not be topped. But having said that, I will see the new one if it does indeed get remade.

Regards

Kirk H.

RBH

Bartender
I have to say I look forward to it.
A whole lot of the films we love from back in the day were remakes themselves.
Anyway.. I watch The Thin Man films everytime they are shown.
It would be nice to see a fresh take on the subject of Mr and Mrs Charles.
If we are lucky [and I believe Depp can pull it off] this film will be great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21