Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Weight Motorcycle Jackets

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
We hit 113 in the Mojave today, which is a bit hot for leather. Any suggestions for a lightweight vintage-esque jacket that is suitable for summer riding in the desert? My cotton A-2 is like putting up a sail, and I think I lose about ten miles an hour every time the wind catches it, so I'm looking for something like the cafe jackets but in canvas or something a bit lighter. I know I will sacrifice some protection not going with leather, but when I wear my A-2 I can't get it off when I stop because it is stuck to me!

Here's my bike, a 2006 Triumph Scrambler.

Scrambler.jpg

fraazierjo

New in Town
Mojave

The Wolverine jacket is the first actually rugged and solid looking modern leather jacket I've seen in a long time. I'd recommend something like that for down there where you are. The alternative - ride up here to Big Bear where it's usually cool enough to enjoy wearing a real leather jacket almost all year!
It's the weight and feel of a good, heavy HH jacket that makes them feel so great to wear.!

ron521

One of the Regulars
Fox Creek Leather has ventilated leather jackets, some in the famous "Schott/Brando" style, others slightly more contemporary (which would look good on the 60's styled Triumph in your picture).

I ride my Sportster wearing a Firstgear Mesh-tex jacket, the entire synthetic fabric shell is ventilated, with armor at the elbows and shoulders....I cannot adequately describe how comfortable this jacket is in warm weather...its like sitting in the shade with a cool breeze...nothing flaps in the breeze. I purchased mine from New Enough Motorcycle Apparal, a Texas company with excellent customer service. There is a review of this jacket on Webbikeworld.

It's not really "vintage" looking, but for the fabulous functionality, I'm willing to look "modern". This is one instance of "form following function".

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't know that you will find a leather jacket that is comfortable for summer riding, much less comfortable for the extreme temperatures you describe.

I have a ventilated Fox Creek, which I like a lot, but I certainly don't think of it as a summer jacket. During the summer when I wear protection, it will be a mesh jacket with armor in the usual places. It is cool and comfortable on long rides. Anything more than that is just too much for me in temps above 85.

Several years ago I saw a perforated leather jacket for motorcycle use. That may be as close as you will get, if you are looking for leather. For me the major problem would be that it is black, and black leather is really hot in the sun.

Your best bet, if you want to wear leather, may be to join fraazierjo in Big Bear country.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
fraazierjo, funny you should mention Big Bear! I've got three trips planned for up there! My buddy and I are planning to take the Burns Canyon route sometime soon, and I have a cabin rented for the last weekend in September. A friend and I be riding up for that but on the street, probably via Camp Rock Road (she'll be on her Sporty 883). The last trip is in the CJ, also probably on the Burns Canyon route, though that one is up in the air as to when and who.

Leather is too much, in just about any form, I think. I've been looking at the Shift Racing Backdraft Mesh Jacket, because it has all the protection I'd like, with something akin to the '60s racing type jackets. It's still pretty modern looking, though. I like that Firstgear Mesh, too, Ron, because it is a little less busy than the Shift. The Shift fits so well, though, and I haven't seen any of the Firstgears to try on. I'll look harder.

2009_Shift_Racing_Backdraft_Mesh_Jacket.jpg

Johnny, I really like the cotton Frankenstein from Soul Revolver! Now if I could just combine the features and protection of the Shift or the Firstgear with the classic styling of the Frankenstein, it would be ideal.

Once it cools off a bit, probably for the ride up to Big Bear, I'll break out the A-2. I've been trying it, but in the full sun and sitting at a stop light I just about pass out. Then I get home and can't get the jacket off until I sit in the air conditioning for a while! lol I think even the vented cafe jackets in leather would be the same way.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm currently in California (LA), and it is a wee bit hot.

If you want to stick with leather then kangaroo might be the way to go. It's thinner than cowhide, but has a similar sort of strength. It gets used by a lot of the racers as a consequence.

You could also get the jacket perforated to increase airflow.

This is a picture of a kangaroo suit that's been heavily perforated. It's made by BKS (who are great), but you need to get over to the UK to be measured up for one.

2778979180098624247S500x500Q85.jpg

(I recently got a set of BKS's finest, and will post a review when I get back to the UK.)

There was talk of Goodwear Leather making a kangaroo A1 a while back. It might be worth asking them, but you'd need to get all the seams double stitched so that they don't burst in a crash.

If you want to go for a canvas jacket then the Belstaff Mojave might be your best bet. They're still heavy, but include all the armour. And are very, very cool.

Belstaff-Brooklands-Jacket.jpg

Both Draggin' Jeans and Hood Jeans make Kevlar lined denim jackets and jeans. I don't know if Hood ship internationally, but as you're buying direct then you can probably ask them.

Lastly, if you just want plain denim then take a look at Iron Heart Jeans, which are available from Self Edge in SF. I haven't seen them, but they're made out of 24 oz. denim, whereas most really heavy jeans come in at 12 to 14 oz. Apparently they were designed by Japanese bikers.

Edited to add: The Scrambler is very cool. :)

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Beautiful scrambler. My brother wears a Schott textile Easy Rider that he loves for summer riding. It has armor where needed. I wear my Langlitz and although it's heavy and hot I know I'm protected (but at least I don't have to worry about 100+ temps).

Riding without proper protection equals lots of bandages...

BikeWreck002.jpg

Tommer

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Jack, I love the bike! Triumph's are great!

Your toy collection is getting very impressive.

-Can't really help with the jacket. I ride a scooter for heaven's sakes.
Thanks, Hem! It's great out here, though the wind plays havoc at times. Now that I am a single man, I can buy all the toys that I've wanted but the ex never wanted me to get. Well, she chose to leave so that's that!

Tommer, your pic is exactly why I want that protection. Looking cool on my bike would be nice, but I'd like that protection! I like the sound of that textile Easy Rider, but can't seem to find one. Would you happen to have a link to it?

Graemsey, that Belstaff is exactly the sort of jacket I am looking for! (that awesome name notwithstanding, of course, Jerekson! lol ) Modern protection, but with the classic styling. But that price...Wow! I will have to start saving up for that! The Draggin' Jacket is a pretty good options, too. Classic looks with better than average protection. The price is great, too.

Graemsay

Practically Family
That Schott is far cooler in the lived in condition than it would be new. :)

The Belstaff jacket actually has a quilted lining, and I really don't think that you'd want that in California.

Barbour do similar jackets, such as the International. There's even a shorter one, the Flyer, which Orvis have on special offer. Though that's a lighter weight material...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Jack, now that I think about it I remember hearing that Schott might discontinue the textile version of the Easy Rider. Maybe they have already? If you are really interested my Victory shop had some left over last time I was there.. you can phone them up. Google "Rollin Fast Cycle Sports" in Lebanon, NJ.

Here's my brother wearing his down in Daytona. It came with armor and a zip out liner.

ChrisBikes.jpg

Tommer

Edward

Bartender
Some great ideas there. My favourite is unoubtedly the belstaff, though as you're well aware, no doubt, since they were bought out by an Italian fashion label they have been repositioned as a "luxury brand", with pricing to match.

Depending on what look you're after, this has a sort of vintagey outlaw-biker look to it, IMO:

184__orig.jpg

That's the Hardas Jeanswear Juel Jacket - see www.giali.com - from the UK, GBP49.99. Denim reinforced with kevlar armour plating. They also do jeans to match that look just like regular jeans, but again with kevlar plating built in.

I wear a perforated leather jacket, cafe racer style, in the Georgia heat. It is much more humid here but only in upper 90s temp wise. It is black & gets a little intense when you are not moving. Once you are tho, it is nice. I wear a wicking t-shirt underneath. My son has a First Gear armored mesh that he likes.

Barchetta52

New in Town
Here in Texas it's just plain HOT for about 4 months. (100-105) I wear a mesh MotoGP jacket over a T or Polo shirt and it's still hot! Once the temperture moderates to a high of about 85-90 I wear the Barbour International. Much more comfortable than you'd think but then I'm getting old and have lost about 90 pounds in the past couple of years so I don't retain heat like I did.

Not sure what I'm going to do in the Winter. All of my heavy jackets are about 2 sizes too big even with sweaters underneath. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to buy something. Sounds like fun.

Going vintage in the Summer has eluded me. I'm always open to suggestsions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy