Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My customer experience with Aero Leather: What's happening?

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
@Sloan, Glasgow accent? That's like Rab C. Nesbitt right? I can't understand anything that guy says. Put that's all put on for TV though, isn't it?
Real Scots sound more like Robbie Coltrane, don't they?
Now this is seriously funny...please tell me your joking though..Im nearly 61,Glasgow born & bred..been complimented on my accent all around the globe & never been told I sound like either rab c or god forbid robbie Coltrane :),,

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Wow Mikel -

thanks for sharing your difficult and hard-earned experience and reminding us that Inbox and Spam Folder are a recipe for falling out with others!

It's been sometime since I ordered my Aero jacket - thought I'd share this since it was shocking for me. After numerous to and fro' emails with Aero confirming custom sizes, with me (frankly) getting irritated wondering how difficult my body shape could possibly be to have to check so many times), one day I had phone call from some guy in a foreign language.

I thought it was a cold caller on a premium charge, but the number was a UK number and there was a real human being, not an autobot machine. The guy mumbled something and the only bit I could understand was my name "Ben".

Then I realised he was talking English in a Scottish accent - he was from Aero's factory checking that my measurements were right.
Wow Mikel -

thanks for sharing your difficult and hard-earned experience and reminding us that Inbox and Spam Folder are a recipe for falling out with others!

It's been sometime since I ordered my Aero jacket - thought I'd share this since it was shocking for me. After numerous to and fro' emails with Aero confirming custom sizes, with me (frankly) getting irritated wondering how difficult my body shape could possibly be to have to check so many times), one day I had phone call from some guy in a foreign language.

I thought it was a cold caller on a premium charge, but the number was a UK number and there was a real human being, not an autobot machine. The guy mumbled something and the only bit I could understand was my name "Ben".

Then I realised he was talking English in a Scottish accent - he was from Aero's factory checking that my measurements were right. That caught me completely off-guard and I could've hung up already lol.
Aye that would have been a surprise right enough...a Scottish guy from a Scottish firm .based in the Scottish borders speaking with a Scottish accent..what next..they will be putting tartan linining in their jackets next..

Graemsay

Practically Family
Please let us know what the outcome is. I am thinking about getting a cafe racer but I guess I will have the same problem as you- the size that will fit me well on chest and shoulders would be too tight around the belly.

You could look at the Board Racer instead. It's a less tapered fit than the Café Racer, and might be a bit more forgiving in the belly.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Off topic now I know , but I've been in Australia 22 years , originally west coast Scottish ( sorta/kinda like a Glaswegian accent , but "cultured" , like Robbie Coltrane haha...)

I've travelled the world and never had my accent confused as being anything other than Scottish , until an Australian said "Are you Irish" ?? ( I did have an Irish granny , long departed !)

And for the record , these days Tossers only get one chance "not to understand me" , they sharpen up quicksmart after that !

It has always been mooted that the most perfect , AKA "accent free" English spoken in the UK is from around the Elgin area in Scotland's northeast !

Edward

Bartender
Unless you come from deepest Glasgow, a Scottish accent is by far one of the clearest, most attractive accents in the UK. It's why so many call centres base themselves up here!

I don't get it either. Mind you, down here the Sassenachs occasionally either think I'm Scottish, or if they get it right that I'm Irish, they then do this weird, leprechaun accent that vaguely approximates Cork. Which is like confusing Cockney and Geordie..... (ETA for American readers: it's like asking Sly Stallone if he's from Dallas.....).

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Funny, in an off-licence (liquor store for non-Europeans) near me there's an Irish guy who puts on a fake Scottish accent, kind of an Edinburgh accent, I think it helps if he's asked by customers to recommend a whiskey.

Edward

Bartender
Funny, in an off-licence (liquor store for non-Europeans) near me there's an Irish guy who puts on a fake Scottish accent, kind of an Edinburgh accent, I think it helps if he's asked by customers to recommend a whiskey.

Of course, the irony there is that we were distilling long before them..... Bushmills is the oldest legal distillery in the world. They've had a licence since 1608, but they've long been rumoured to have been no newbies before that.... ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The hilarious thing is that the Borders accent is as soft and clear as you’re going to get - it’s 20 mins from England, so the inflexions are very unalarming.
Glasgow for the most part is a lovely lilt, but when you get to deepest Govam nowadays it gets a little ‘chewy’.

Edward

Bartender
The hilarious thing is that the Borders accent is as soft and clear as you’re going to get - it’s 20 mins from England, so the inflexions are very unalarming.
Glasgow for the most part is a lovely lilt, but when you get to deepest Govam nowadays it gets a little ‘chewy’.

Aye, well.... tha's Nesbitt country, eh?

Mikel64

New in Town
Hello to all.
Thanks to everyone who replied in relation with the main topic. I have returned the jacket to Denny and a new jacket should be planned. I must admit the CR is not for me due to my body shape, and height...
The next choice will certainly be a Board Racer. It didn't impress me it because it was too flared and too long. But with the help of pictures from your website, I think it can be solved.
Now I am thinking about the hide. I originally chose the Cordovan HH, but I was waiting for something really dark, and the one I had was too clear in my taste and I have to accept it. I'll eventually go for a black HH.
I also have an Aero Sheene in Black Vicenza. The leather is marvellous and far different from the Cordovan HH. I have read most of your threads and I have learned a lot about their differences and pros and cons. However I can't hardly distinguish the nuance between the Dark and Dark Seal Vicenza but mainly, the way Vicenza changes with age and weather (rain). I'll wear the jacket as a casual jacket eventually used it when riding with my scooter...

I'll be greatful if anyone could give me his advise about these 2 last points.

Thanks to all!

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Hello to all.
Thanks to everyone who replied in relation with the main topic. I have returned the jacket to Denny and a new jacket should be planned. I must admit the CR is not for me due to my body shape, and height...
The next choice will certainly be a Board Racer. It didn't impress me it because it was too flared and too long. But with the help of pictures from your website, I think it can be solved.
Now I am thinking about the hide. I originally chose the Cordovan HH, but I was waiting for something really dark, and the one I had was too clear in my taste and I have to accept it. I'll eventually go for a black HH.
I also have an Aero Sheene in Black Vicenza. The leather is marvellous and far different from the Cordovan HH. I have read most of your threads and I have learned a lot about their differences and pros and cons. However I can't hardly distinguish the nuance between the Dark and Dark Seal Vicenza but mainly, the way Vicenza changes with age and weather (rain). I'll wear the jacket as a casual jacket eventually used it when riding with my scooter...

I'll be greatful if anyone could give me his advise about these 2 last points.

Thanks to all!

This post might help.I have an Original Hercules in Dark Seal Vicenza and the rain just bounces off.The colour is similar to a dark chocolate tho' I cant specify which brand.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-midweight-leather-samples.86261/#post-2092121

Mikel64

New in Town
This post might help.I have an Original Hercules in Dark Seal Vicenza and the rain just bounces off.The colour is similar to a dark chocolate tho' I cant specify which brand.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-midweight-leather-samples.86261/#post-2092121

Hello,
Thank you for your reply, I had missed your link... I understand Vicenza is as reliable as the FQHH. About the color I still can't make the difference between Dark and Dark Seal, which seem very close. I remember the 2nd one is closer to dark brown

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, I had missed your link... I understand Vicenza is as reliable as the FQHH. About the color I still can't make the difference between Dark and Dark Seal, which seem very close. I remember the 2nd one is closer to dark brown
I think that seal is close to dark brown and that dark seal is nearly black in the examples that I have seen.I cant comment on its durability.As far as I know,Vicenza is a fairly recent addition to premier garment manufacturers stock and most jackets take a long time to really get worn in.Personally,I love the character that cxl fqhh takes on over time and I think its worth the process of wearing-in.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Unless you come from deepest Glasgow, a Scottish accent is by far one of the clearest, most attractive accents in the UK. It's why so many call centres base themselves up here!

Not sure what gave you that idea, but that's just not right!

English isn't my first language, and although i have lived 13 years in London and would say i have decent english, i struggle with Scottish accent more than i do with any other UK accent.
Drop me in the middle of a bunch of geordies or scousers and i am fine, but Scottish isn't that easy!
I have spoken to people at Aero that i struggled to understand, and i have spoken to call center people in Scotland (BT) that i literally could not understand at all!
I have had to tell one of them that i could not understand him and ask to speak to someone else, it was super embarrassing, but i literally had no idea what he was saying.

Maybe you being Scottish is a help as far as understanding the Scottish accent, but it isn't easy to every one.

Dav

One Too Many
Afraid I have to agree with Carlos, I too struggle with a Scottish accent sometimes and I've lived here all my life. Even had a call centre hang up on me when I said sorry I can't understand you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy