Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My G-1 Lineup (Others Invited)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well, since there was an invitation...
I've posted these before, but I'll post again.
My LW G-1 (Blackburn's Raiders). I know, not the most historically correct repro, but such high quality (and for the record, LW were very easy to deal with).

10513334_10152543556275747_5434525018113930893_n.jpg
10457920_10152543556580747_9035166382942280230_n.jpg

Also my issue G-1 from the 70's, with Chargers Vietnam tribute artwork (what can I say, I'm a patriot). This jacket is terrible quality, fake fur collar, nylon (?) knits, hell, maybe not even real goat, but it's got character, and that's enough for me.

10527842_10152543555875747_4214717373935303073_n.jpg
10395813_10152543556045747_8236372601717537261_n.jpg

I'm waiting on an Aero USN jacket, I'll post pics when it arrives.
Also, I was thinking about ordering a G&B G-1 for a VF-96 tribute jacket (gotta love Showtime 100). I've heard G&B G-1's are pretty good quality (better than late 60's/early 70's issue jackets), does anyone have any experience to prove/disprove this?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
G&B has nearly perfect machine-like construction and attractive and robust goatskin, but their sizes are all over the place. In the past you could size down one or two sizes, but in the last year or so I'm convinced they reworked their patterns for their base models making them more bulky in the shoulders-and less attractive. I could be wrong, but at least one other member here has noticed the same change.
They may not have reworked their higher end models (historical M-422a) though.
I think you'll find the Aero a better fit.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I was the other guy who noticed the expanding waistline of the G+B G-1.

On the first page, is a pic of my m-422a hybrid from G+B. It fit beautifully though it's getting a bit tight on me these days.

The one I ordered last fall was really loose in the waist and even the arms seemed more varsity jacket than flight jacket. Sizing down was somewhat better but the proportions were still not right (i.e. I got to the point in a 44 where the shoulders were getting snug, but the waist was still kind of baggy).

You might want to maybe hunt around for some G-1 measurements and ask G+B for theirs so you can compare the two.

Beyond that though, I thought G+Bs were really nicely made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I was the other guy who noticed the expanding waistline of the G+B G-1.

On the first page, is a pic of my m-422a hybrid from G+B. It fit beautifully though it's getting a bit tight on me these days.

The one I ordered last fall was really loose in the waist and even the arms seemed more varsity jacket than flight jacket. Sizing down was somewhat better but the proportions were still not right (i.e. I got to the point in a 44 where the shoulders were getting snug, but the waist was still kind of baggy).

You might want to maybe hunt around for some G-1 measurements and ask G+B for theirs so you can compare the two.

Beyond that though, I thought G+Bs were really nicely made.

Thanks Deacon. I think I'll have to order a G&B in my normal size, and one size smaller, try them both on, and maybe send them both back if the fit is not good.

Deacon211

One Too Many
They are very good about that!

You also might want to ask if the M-422a is cut the same as the G-1...I had heard speculation that the historical jackets might not be quite so baggy. Of course, you have to like the 422's style. I actually preferred the rounder G-1 collar at the time and had them alter mine. I'm not sure they will do that anymore though.

What size are BTW?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I heard a while back that G&B stopped doing alterations and even attaching thier own patches.

I'm waiting on an Aero M-422a, but I have a neat grouping of vintage hand-made in Japan patches for USS Constellation, so I really want to find a good G-1 replica.

I would love to be able to pick up one of the many G-1's that can be found on eBay and such, but I take a size 48/50 depending on the cut, so I was really lucky just to find the Chargers G-1 posted earlier. I can't imagine what that guy flew.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I don't have any new photos of any of my G-1s, but here's some older ones.

This first jacket is a 1972 Star Sportswear. Its a bit of a rare bird because its from the very first of the E-series G-1s, and it has a black tag. This is one of my two favorite G-1s.

DSCN3630.jpg

Second, is another of my favorites, a 1992 Cooper. Not a beautiful jacket and not very collectable, but its made from very nice goatskin and it has a generous cut...for when I go through my phat phases. Since this photo was taken, I've removed the velcro receiver and shoulder patches. When it comes to leather jackets, I prefer a clean look.

airportphotos037-1.jpg

Last is my least favorite G-1...a 1976 Imperial Leather. This jacket is made from rank cowhide, is stiff and squeaky, weighs a ton and has a clown collar. IMO, it is from the darkest days of G-1 production.

DSCN0507-1.jpg

I also have a C-series Star Sportswear, a D-series Brill Brothers, a modern Branded Leather and a tagless G-1 that someone gave to me. From the outline of where the tag was, and the quality of the hide, I'm pretty sure its another 1970s E-series jacket...possibly a Ralph Edwards.

AF

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Big J,

I was hoping you were in the 44 size range. I was considering selling my G+B (though I would need to remove my patches). It's just gotten broken in so it breaks my heart to pass it on.

AF,

Great jackets! I wish I remembered what jacket I had in the 90's...that Cooper looks great.

robrinay

One Too Many
I'm curious about how the ww2 and later the Korean War patches on USN jackets were constructed. It's hard to tell from the pics especially the black and white ones in the archive photos. Were they painted on, embroidered felt, painted canvas, painted leather layered leather or something else?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm curious about how the ww2 and later the Korean War patches on USN jackets were constructed. It's hard to tell from the pics especially the black and white ones in the archive photos. Were they painted on, embroidered felt, painted canvas, painted leather layered leather or something else?

I'm not an expert on the earlier Navy jackets, but my guess is there were examples of all the materials you've mentioned.

AF

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Big J,

I was hoping you were in the 44 size range. I was considering selling my G+B (though I would need to remove my patches). It's just gotten broken in so it breaks my heart to pass it on.

AF,

Great jackets! I wish I remembered what jacket I had in the 90's...that Cooper looks great.

That's very kind of you Deacon.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm not an expert on the earlier Navy jackets, but my guess is there were examples of all the materials you've mentioned.

AF

Yes, lots of painted patches made on board ship during WW2, on canvas and leather, but after WW2 lots of USN patches are hand sewn (hand-embroidered) in the Philippines and Japan. Sometimes you can still find them in Japan, sometimes see some on eBay.

Deacon211

One Too Many
NP Big J, I just wanted to find a good home for it as the cut and quality is great on those old G+Bs.

What's interesting about the overseas patches is how patch creep took over some designs.

I was in VMA-211. The original pre-war patch was a "plunging lion"

e83f24583c3c159fbc6d9715e4b0da49.jpg

After the Battle of Wake Island, the remainder of the squadron altered the patch to reflect the squadron's new name and history.

bea9a6904e201ab55cf85d42c53aafc0.jpg

Shown very nicely in this late/post war Chinese made patch.

427b89ef59494cbb48874959008da472.jpg

But in the 50s through the 70s, the patches, which were usually bought overseas began to morph the squadrons lion into something like a dog.

99a0b3c015664f66078a408c4449f372.jpg

So much so that, when the squadron painted it's "hero paint" jets in the 70s, the lion/fox/dog theme was carried on even though the quality of the artist and the medium would have allowed for a creditable lion to have been made.

a9441ddabca393bd65d16577dcd1f379.jpg

Finally, somewhere in the 80s (and probably coincident with the devaluing of the dollar compared to the Yen) squadrons often had their patches made in the states (though Tiger Embroidery in Okinawa remains a popular and excellent choice) and the lion once again looked like a lion...though Wake no longer looks much like,Wake.

806eb19ea0242e6058228cfa7049fba7.jpg

I often wonder if the famous "Pukin' Dogs" would have still been the Pukin' Dogs if the patches had been of the same quality as those crafted in the European theater in WWII.

Deacon

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
Big J said:
Yes, lots of painted patches made on board ship during WW2, on canvas and leather, but after WW2 lots of USN patches are hand sewn (hand-embroidered) in the Philippines and Japan. Sometimes you can still find them in Japan, sometimes see some on eBay.
I'm sure the second question aircrew and pilots were asked, when they went to buy patches, was "how much do you want to pay?" Hence the huge variety of materials used and differing quality.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yeah, I still don't think there are regs as such for the type or material of squadron insignia though, in the Navy/Marines at least, the designs need to be approved before they are accepted/changed.

Hence the fate of the VMAQ-2 Playboy Bunny.

I do think that there is now a general restriction on them being a certain size...no more oversize patches. But in WWII I think that all bets were off.

There still is that "cruise patch" effect to a certain degree. Squadron patches are generally so common nowadays that they are very standard. But, if you want a cruise patch (a special deployment patch or mission patch, usually at least mildly irreverent) you may still get them from a liberty port vendor where the quality will vary wildly.

I imagine during the war, true liberty ports were pretty few and far between with the possible exception of the occasional trip through Pearl or Sydney. As such, parariggers made patches out of what they had, leather scraps, canvas, cloth and the same sewing machine they used to sew parachute harnesses or good old Navy lead based paint.

There's also still a bit of that in flight helmets. For those squadrons that still tape them, the quality is directly in proportion to the talent of the seat shop riggers.

Generally no money in the squadron's budget to send 20 odd helmets to G+B for a nice Top Gun quality tape job!

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Received an email today from Gibson & Barnes. 40% off their clearance page. I'm not sure what they have left but it's worth a look.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Just received my Aero M422a.
Very nice. Quality of the goat is good; heavy and thick, but not stiff. The color is very nice- it looks black at first glance, like a good seal brown should, but when viewed in direct sunlight, a really nice tone of brown. Lining is gorgeous. The fit is very military- I need a diet to get my spare tire under control.
photo-162.jpg

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Very Nice Jacket Big J.
Instantly came to my mind an AN6552 that I'm watchin a long time in ebay.
Only $9,399.95 :tongue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131261939682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. Can't wait to wear it for a couple of years and get some patina on it. Maybe I can sleep in it?

The eBay jacket is really nice (and priced accordingly!). Reminds me of another recent thread about the over-priced ELC jacket with no lining. But this jacket you linked is actually a nice jacket! If I was 10 sizes smaller (and rich) I'd think about it.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket J!

I really like the scalloped pocket flaps on that one. I can tell you that I bought my G+B when I was back in the service and treated it none too gently (in fact I think I washed it when I first got it, long before I had heard of the HWT) and it still took awhile to settle in.

So, I'd venture to say that there is no adventure too rough to take it on to break it in! :)

Always loved the Felix the Cat patch too.

Deacon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy