Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero A-2

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have always found LW A-2 jackets to have ideal armhole placement (at least for me). No worries about high or low armholes that may affect wearing comfort or overall fit.
I've had quite afew Aero A-2's of various contracts and leather types and the fit was always hit or miss. My size 46 LW A-2 fits absolutely perfect....and the horsehide is a dream!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have always found LW A-2 jackets to have ideal armhole placement (at least for me). No worries about high or low armholes that may affect wearing comfort or overall fit.
I've had quite afew Aero A-2's of various contracts and leather types and the fit was always hit or miss. My size 46 LW A-2 fits absolutely perfect....and the horsehide is a dream!

Thor, not a great deal is written on the FL about LW's A-2's. What more can you tell us about your size 46 LW A-2 jacket measurements and your measurements? What was the break-in period? I have only seen one LW jacket at a friend's house, which jacket was essentially for motorcycle use. The construction appeared to be top notch. My experience with A-2's has also been hit or miss, mostly miss.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thor, not a great deal is written on the FL about LW's A-2's. What more can you tell us about your size 46 LW A-2 jacket measurements and your measurements? What was the break-in period? I have only seen one LW jacket at a friend's house, which jacket was essentially for motorcycle use. The construction appeared to be top notch. My experience with A-2's has also been hit or miss, mostly miss.

Hello Fanch. The LW A-2 is a work of divine quality workmanship. Thick, rich, rugged russet brown HH that is chrome-tanned and nearly indestructible! You can specify anything up to 4.0/4.5oz hide but I go for their medium-heavy 3.0/3.5 oz weight. When you talk to Stuart at LW he will ask for some measurements and you can specify how you'd like it to fit. He is spot on!
I am 6' 1" and weigh 210lbs with long arms and a long torso. The LW 46 regular with collar stand (which i have owned for 7 years now) fits me like a WWII original. It has a 25" armpit to armpit measurement with 27 inch sleeve and back.
I also just received a standard collar 46 Long with 2 inside wallet pockets and an extra inch added to the sleeve and body for a more modern roomy fit with the added convenience of extra pockets.
Just wear it and forget it; the hide conforms to your body in a short time, developing creases and wrinkles and patina in a short period of time. The grain just pops out as you wear it, especially in the rain.
It's a jacket that will literally last a lifetime.
Highly recommended!!!

Brettafett

One Too Many
I had a LW Dubow a few years back, std size 40. I normally wear a 40 and this jacket fit well and looked the part. I found the jacket very well made and super-tough. That, for me, was the reason I passed it on. Having had various top-grade repro A-2s by that point, I found it too heavy for my liking.... Just couldn't move around in it, felt like wearing armour ;-) just mho. I don't recall what thickness the hide was, but remember it being a standard all round size 40.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
A friend of mine once said, "If you friends do something, either you do it or you get new friends." Point being after finding this board I had to get an A2 and I wound up with a LW. I wanted a "military fit" and I got it. I don't think it's a size too small; but I have to admit that it definitely is a little tighter in the armpit area than other jackets. The first time I drove in it I thought "Yikes!" but I found if I let it ride up a bit on my torso and especially if I pulled the sleeves up a little everything was A-OK. If and when it breaks in a little, I won't be unhappy; but I wanted a jacket that particularly showed off my slimness and I got it!

P.S. Last June I got a Gibson and Barnes A2 on eBay. It's also a 40, but it's a tent!. The good news is that it came with a zip-out liner and, with that in, it fits sort of okay and it's pretty warm too.

Last edited:

tkoy

New in Town
Brass zipper

I was wondering if brass Talon zippers were used on any original A-2 jackets. Because on my Aero Quartermasters 42-18775-P, a brass Talon zipper has been fitted (picture below). I find the shiny brass zipper looking a bit odd on an A-2. The leather is russet horse.

8370897438_47c63d6842.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
I'm no expert, but I think a nickel finish would be more accurate. That Talon doesn't look like one I've ever seen on an A2.

Foster

One of the Regulars
From what little I know, most were nickel finish but I think the original Monarch had some blackened brass zippers. By the time the B-10 jacket was being used, it seems most zippers on the B-10 are brass.

Mark

Practically Family
Received my Quartermasters 42-18775-P, russet horse TODAY!. It too has a brass zip, looks ok but does not seem to quite look right some how. However, love the jacket, quite a snug fit. Anyone know if its chrome or veg tanned? Does not smell like my FQHH Highwayman when it was new and that was chrome.
Mark

devilish

A-List Customer
I have my eye on one of those Quartermaster A-2's as well. I've been resisting the urge to buy an Irvin of some kind. As I live in San Francisco it will only probably get worn for the 3 weeks a year I go home to England to visit family at Christmas. So, I'm thinking I'll spend the money on an A-2 instead and one of those would give me some spare change to spread around on some other fun things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy