Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New AL Roadster in FQHH Havana Brown

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I was going to say, the customer's choice of jacket shouldn't be disrupted by the dynamics of the company he or she chooses to purchase from. The customer shouldn't have to be put in a spot where he or she faces a moral dilemna of what to buy. But then I compared it to purchasing from a company that (say employs sweat shop labor-steals patterns), and it suddenly becomes somewhat unethical. If the customer opts to view it that way. The customer shouldn't have to be cornered into what to buy or not-that right has to be honored, as he or she deserves the right to buy a product simply based on the products and not the curcumstances behind it. But many will see it as a moral choice to choose to support a company proven to be rooted in unethical practices or not. It really depends on how the customer views it, and the customer is entitled to spend their money how they choose. It's like buying a pair of Nikes. A moral choice if the customer sees it that way.

Last edited:
Just a little "Historical" house cleaning here:
Sears, Penny's, and Montgomery Wards outsourced their jacket-making to other companies like Roughwear and Monarch. No wonder there was a lot of cross-over.
Carry on folks.

More pot stirring.

Interesting supposition, but devoid of facts beyond mere similarities in appearance. In contrast, the evidence proving SB’s deplorable conduct transcends similar looking jackets.

You should broaden your imagination. Businessmen and women have been fighting about intellectual property rights for centuries.

You apparently do not understand the difference between making a product similar to your competitor, as distinct from stealing your competitor’s proprietary pattern, that your competitor spent time and money creating, and using the stolen pattern as the predicate to create a new business offering an identical product. How can you possibly defend or justify the latter?

Freedom of choice, while certainly a good thing, has its limits. I believe in not doing business with companies founded upon unethical business practices. That’s my choice.[/QUO
Just a little "Historical" house cleaning here:
Sears, Penny's, and Montgomery Wards outsourced their jacket-making to other companies like Roughwear and Monarch. No wonder there was a lot of cross-over.
Carry on folks.
duely noted!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Although i kind of agree, there comes a point where it is becoming boring and unnecessary!
If anybody feels that strongly about it, maybe they should go picket in front of the factory, or go on a hunger strike until AL/SB closes, or do something constructive about it.
To wait for an AL/SB thread to come up just to get the opportunity to derail it and ruin a new owners day is not right.

Anybody who wants to, can easily find the whole story and decide on their own if they want to buy from AL/SB or not.

I agree, and on that point there are countries I choose not to buy goods from because of the way they treat their own and other citizens. But I wouldn’t post about that here because it’s not an appropriate place for it, and because it’s my choice and no one else’s. Equally I have no wish to be told where I can and can't buy things from by other people. I don’t see why they should expect me to follow their moral compass as if it they’re the only people to have one. Incidentally that reminds me of Dr Johnson’s quip, “The more he spoke of honour, the more we counted the spoons.” Wise old bird Dr J.

I think that if Aero has a case in civil law against SB then the courts are the place to pursue it. Not by trashing new members threads here. It’s not as if this place has that many new members that it can afford to drive them away. Incidentally I’ve no doubt that they are pursuing a case since Mr Calder has a history of litigation, and I would even be interested in reading about the outcome in due course. But until then….

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, they're Wolverine 1000 mile boots, again got a great deal on these from a seller from Canada. Very nice boots, they can pull double duty as dressy with Khaki's on casual Friday. My only issue with them is the leather while very nice marks up really easily.

As for the swiped Highwayman design, I would say that all these designs are co-opted from cuts from the 1920's through 1940's and no one is really putting out a completely original design. Most makers likely purchased or just researched and used old templates from decades ago and switched them up a bit. Nothing wrong with it, all the makers state clearly they're paying homage to cuts and jackets from a bygone era. Think Schott Perfecto and the myriad of copies of that design.

I'll eventually own an Aero halfbelt, that's been the jacket I've coveted for years, but needed to test the waters a bit and I know AL is going to provide a quality jacket (they're built on Aero DNA afterall) and for $400 I couldn't pass it up.

I've a pair of Wolverine 1000 milers and I love em! As for the jacket, take some time and break her in. The jacket looks nice to me.

Worf

Feraud

Bartender
I went thought the thread deleting off topic comments. Apologies if good posts got caught up with the bad. Don’t take it personally and feel free to re-post. We considered leaving the thread locked but this is not fair to a new member who chose to contribute and share pics of a great looking jacket.

A reminder we are not interested in rehashing legal issues that were settled or pending in courts. People feel strongly about their jacket makers and that is fine. Let’s not turn this into an environment that will only lead to a lot of bad feelings.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies, I'm keeping the jacket, I think the fit is solid and hopefully it will break in by next fall.

I'm going to purchase an Aero 1930's slim fit halfbelt in cordovan FQHH in the summer anyway, that's the jacket I've really coveted. I would order it sooner but I couldn't bear to have the jacket delivered in the middle of summer and not being able to wear it.

I think with these two jackets I'll be good to go for the next 20 years or so.

Thanks for your comments and input.

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm not into civilian type jackets at all (as many here will attest) - but I do know what I like and I think it looks great on you and I'd be well pleased with that fit as well (you having bought it relatively sight-unseen and not trying it on first) - and I know a bargain when I see one and man, that's a lot of jacket for $400. Score!
Good one.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Yes. I agree, it is a very nice jacket and it fits quite well. I hope you enjoy it a lot. Thanks for sharing it with us.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Ha ha ha that's cute, 2 jackets will be enough for the next 20 years. Don't worry though, a lot of us here had that delusion to begin with as well
emoji13.png

I went through this with watches and promised myself never again. I literally bought and flipped 40+ watches in a two year span (I mostly bought used so I didn't lose much on the flips). I promised myself I wouldn't do this with leather jackets. Just find two (or maybe three, four tops ;) ) nice leather jackets and be satisfied.

The only thing that kept me from buying a nice leather jacket was I wanted to hit a certain weight before dropping the coin. Now that I've been there for nearly two years I can get a few (five tops ;)) nice leather jackets.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went through this with watches and promised myself never again. I literally bought and flipped 40+ watches in a two year span (I mostly bought used so I didn't lose much on the flips). I promised myself I wouldn't do this with leather jackets. Just find two (or maybe three, four tops ;) ) nice leather jackets and be satisfied.

The only thing that kept me from buying a nice leather jacket was I wanted to hit a certain weight before dropping the coin. Now that I've been there for nearly two years I can get a few (five tops ;)) nice leather jackets.

As a semi-reformed watch collector (currently wearing a split second) and full-blown leather jacket addict, all I can say is: Good luck with your self-imposed limit.

One small piece of advice. Those seeking to limit their alcohol intake should not hang out in bars, and those seeking to quit using crack should not loiter in crack houses. TFL is the bar/crack house of outerwear addicts. We are facilitators, not interveners. We are the antithesis of a nicotine patch. Five jackets you say? Sit down, make yourself comfortable and have a drink on me . . . this bar never closes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran