Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

miss lyssa

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome Lauren. I am very new to the Lounge and it's nice to be greeted so sweetly.

I work in theatre and I am currently in Sacramento, CA and soon on my way to Myrtle Beach, SC to work with the legendary Radio City Rockettes. New York City is where I truly unpack my bags though.

Thanks again ladies. It's very nice to be here.

Truly,

Lyssa

makll

Familiar Face
Hi ladies.

I learned of this forum through other forums I visit. I like to drop by from time to time to see what the ladies are up to. Many of the other forums are male dominated so this is great...

I am a milliner located in PA.
I enjoy the 20's & 30's and was once an avid collector of clothes from those eras. Several times in my life I gave away or sold all my belongings so my collection is long gone excepting a few treasures handed down from my mom. I loved getting dressed up in the clothes for any event, usually getting raised eyebrows.

There doesnt seem to be much on my area for dance etc. so I enjoy the news that others share.
Thanks Ladies.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm Lizzie, and I found the Fedora Lounge through the public board of the Vintage Fashion Guild. I'm a vintage clothing and fashion history fanatic, and I've been collecting for about 25 years. I especially love the 20s through 40s so I've had a great time this morning reading all the posts here and checking out the links and all.

I have a website devoted to various vintage history topics, and I also sell vintage clothing and patterns. I maintain the Vintage Label Resource for the VFG, and I'm always on the prowl for old labels!

Lizzie

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lizzie, that sounds fabulous! You're my kind of girl. I just bought the vintage labels book from Amazon and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive. Say, do you know anything about a Mme. Lichtenstein '280 Park Ave New York' an Paris? I just got a great 30's cape with this label inside.

Where is the Vintage Fashion Guild located, and how do you get involved? I'm a member of the Costumer's Guild west, International Costumers guild, and San Diego costumers guild (all involved with one membership), but I'd always like to add more to my reportoire :)

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Thanks Lauren. The VFG is located at http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/ . There are public boards for anyone to use, or qualified sellers may apply for membership. The label resource is at http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/labels_f.html

As to the Lichtenstein label, with a Park Avenue address, it HAS to be nice! It may be from the firm owned by Jake Lichtenstein, who was an early importer of French fashions, and who had custom adaptations of them made for the NYC market. I'd love to have the label for the resource.

Lizzie

Lauren

Sorry, Lizzie. As a collector myself I couldn't bring myself to take the label out of it. I can, however, take a photograph of it for you if you like. I'm on my way to the guild now...

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I should have been a little clearer in my intent! I'd love a photo of the label for the resource. I don't collect the labels, I collect photos and information!

Lauren

Heehee! Silly me. I was like "she wants me to do WHAT?"

No problem. I'll take a pic to send your way as soon as I get a chance! I also have some other labels you may be interested in. I'll have to rifle though my stuff to see what I can find.

Hi Lizzie

Welcome! I am still pretty new here and have found a wealth of information. I am brand new to buying vintage. I have one house dress so far an 2 on the way. I am a stay at home Mom so house dresses are right up my alley! I checked out your website and it looks really nice. I have bookmarked it. I also checked out the VFG site and I think I will have to spend some time there boning up. :)

MJCalloway

New in Town
Hi everyone!

I'm MJ and have been a fan of anything vintage from the 30's and 40's for as long as I can remember. I've just started buying vintage as of late. I used to never be able to find pieces that fit me (but now I can since I lost weight. YAY!).

I love to dress in vintage and am about to have my first photo shoot as a pinup model. I cherish all of the vintage jewlery I have acquired and gotten from my grandmothers. I just wish they weren't so tiny, otherwise I could have taken their clothes when they were offered to me too!

Anyways, I'm just saying hi and I'm sure I'll be learning lots. I already have (note to self: by Lottabody).

EstherGinger

New in Town
Hi! I'm Jenilyn -- call me either Jenny or Jen -- and I live in Tennessee, just finishing up my senior year in high school. I've lived in Tennessee for two years now, before I lived in New Jersey. I've been in love with vintage anything for about ... maybe 3-4 years now. I first was an I Love Lucy fanatic, then began to really love Lucille Ball. I started to watch all of her movies on TCM (the only channel I watch nowadays except for my crime shows), and I began to love musicals, and then I started to watch anything on TCM that looked good, which really made me start loving Old Hollywood. I love from the twenties to the fifties -- everything about it. Books, movies, hair, make-up, dancing, radio programs, music, fashion, etc. I really think if I could, I'd travel back then and give up all life in present time -- including TCM, which I would highly miss (even though I'd see all the movies as they come out, I would miss being able to record them and watch them at home).

I was introduced to the Fedora Lounge by my brother, who's obsessed with fedoras. I thought at first that it was all about fedoras, but then I did a search for 'pin curls' and saw the Powder Room, in which really interested me! I'm so glad that there is such a place as the Fedora Lounge, and that there are so many people interested in vintage and the forties. I used to think that I was the only one my age so into this stuff, but now I don't. I don't have many vintage clothing items, just four hats, two pairs of gloves, and two dresses. I have tons of jewelry from my grandmother, though! I just can't find many good clothing items around here, and when I do, they're too expensive or not the right size. When I have a job and am traveling about, I'm definitely going to invest.

I hope my reply isn't too jumbled...I can get like that sometimes. But it's definitely nice to be here, to be around people who UNDERSTAND and love the eras I love.

Lauren

Welcome, Jen! Glad you found us :)

I know what you mean... I watched classic movies all through high school and found very few people that shared that passion. I think they thought I was crazy when I said that I thought the movie stars then were much more handsome and beautiful than the ones we have now.

Glad you're here, and I look forward to knowing you better!

EstherGinger

New in Town
Thank you!

Yes, I understand that well. As Marlene Dietrich said in her autobiography, "Movie stars now are not as beautiful as they used to be." Not the exact quote, but similar. They were much more beautiful and handsome then than now. And what is said about the movies of that time, is that most kids my age would hold the stereotype that the movies are "boring, cheesy and outdated." I have not found one that is outdated, and many are not boring. I find the movies of back then much more enjoyable than the predictable movies of present time. And many people around me would argue that point, which is most unfortunate, since I am not able to share this passion with them. Which is why I am glad to be here!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Jen, Makll, fuzzielizzie, and MJ! It's great to see so many ladies with great style and class--the two things that set the movie stars of yesteryear apart from the ones of today.

P.S. Jen--TCM and crime shows are all I watch, too. Drives some people crazy, but not much else on TV is worth watching ;)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi I'm new here too. Just joined today. I am in the UK in London and have an expanding circle of friends who want women to start looking like women again. I and my girlfriends meet up once a month and all get dressed up in 40's and 50s clothes, hair etc and have tea parties and watch old movies. This forum is so fantastic that I have spent ages getting a new ISP email just so I could join. I can't believe the amount of information and knowledge that some of the contributors have. I stumbled upon this site looking for advice regarding setting lotion and vintage hair-do's. I am so excited that there are so many other ladies (and gentlemen) who love vintage things too. I am determined to revive the wearing of powder, lipstick and stockings here in the UK. Too many women look like they don't bother at all and we have lost so much that we used to have!!

Lauren

Welcome, AllAboutEve!

Yes, the situation is the same here in the United States. Your get togethers with your girlfriends sounds fabulous! I wish I had more friends nearby into the golden era so we could do the same. Tea, nice clothing, and classic movies... three of my favorite things at once! Might be too much for me to handle ;)

colleency

One of the Regulars
Hello! I posted a request for help, so I thought it might be polite to introduce myself. I don't remember how I found the site; a friend may have pointed me, or I may have done a search.

I live in L.A. I'm married. I like to make clothing from the years 1850 to 1950 and science fiction (especially Star Wars). I'm a huge Rosie the Riveter fan. DH and I swing dance occasionaly, but not nearly often enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21