Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dan G

One of the Regulars
hmmm, sometimes it takes a little while to get geared up for this ya know?
Well, my name's Dan Gleason. Been sitting in front of this stupid computer now for every bit of half an hour trying to decide what to type. I currently reside in Billings Montana, I moved here from small town Sandpoint Idaho. (look for the biggest lake the farthest north in Idaho, you can't miss it) Sandpoint's not exactly the land of opportunity for a kid looking to start life, so when my folks split up I moved to Billings to help my mother get on her feet, and I joined the Navy! I don't ship to basic untill the end of July, so I've got some time to kill.

I currently have no vintage clothing... In fact, thats how I found this site. I've always been able to clean up after work, (which was building log houses) but I've never had a suit or anything, just a nice flannel shirt and some nice jeans. But I figured there's no reason I can't work hard during the day and clean up and look respectable at night, and if I'm gonna get all dressed up, I might as well do it vintage.

I'm into anything vintage, from movies to guitars. Which I play! The way I figured it, I don't sing so well, I was to shy to ask a girl to dance (which has discouraged my ever learning to do so), so I learned to play guitar!

There you have it, a little about Dan. phew

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
hello! my name is Shannon, though i'm likely to go by Kitty on this forum. i knew about the FL before, but never really had the guts to sift through the millions of posts until i got some encouragement from my friend Miss Bella Hell.

i love vintage clothing, mostly 50s (because that's what seems to fit my vintage figure, and i prefer to wear rather than collect). i am also a huge fan of FF stockings, wear them whenever i find a chance, and have started selling them on ebay when i come across something with a fancy heel.

other than that, i like rockabilly, psychobilly, swing, punk (... lots of stuff. that's only touching the surface) and i play roller derby for the Boston Derby Dames. that's pretty much all there is to know :)

kitty

Christine

New in Town
Hey gang! I stumbled across this forum a few nights ago and decided to join in. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here that I can learn from. My interest in vintage started with good old 'I Love Lucy' reruns when I was a little girl. Within the last few years I have had interest in 40s fashion. This forum has really sparked my interest and I hope to learn a few new things around here. :)

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
KittyT - Roller Derby? Too nifty :)

I'm Jen, also new, also overwhelmed by the wealth of information in the FL, but happy I've finally registered.

I have a modest collection of vintage clothes and reproductions - I started off being involved in science fiction/fantasy costuming but also a long-time fan of big band music and classic films - gradually I started doing some historical costuming and then bam! I realised the early-mid 20th century is my favorite time of all time.

Currently I'm all about the 30s through the mid-40s, especially since becoming a massive James Cagney fan after seeing 'Footlight Parade' several months ago and then branching out into the gangster and Noir genres. But other obsessions include old SF films and pulp covers (and the costumes from them), ray-guns, Tiki and 50s housewives.

Looking forward to this so much!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Parallel Guy - That's fantastic! I haven't actually done that with the calendar, but I have thought of doing it before. I have a group of friends with an interest in pin-up calendars and we've discussed this very thing! Great minds think alike :)

I'm Jen. I try to work vintage clothes and style into my life - sometimes going 'all out', sometimes essentially going incognito and sneaking a piece into a pretty conservative work environment.

I make costumes for fun, so I sometimes make historical repros, but for the 20th century I think it's so wonderful that the clothing is still out there, I prefer to get my hands on the real McCoy. There's nothing so vivid and evocative of another time than the clothing.

My mother gave me a 50s black and white check taffeta circle skirt for Christmas last year. My grandmother had made it. There were a couple small tears in the waistband that I had to mend, and while doing that, I came across my grandma's handstitching... I was overwhelmed. My grandma passed away when I was 3 years old - I have never been closer to her then when I reinforced some of her handiwork.

My tastes run from Tiki/lounge culture (I have an annual Luau, this year the theme was 'Luau of the Atomic Age') to big band and Old Time Radio to classic films (currently enthralled with everything James Cagney, gangsters and Noir, but long time Astaire/Rogers fan too) to Pulp Covers/SF films and rayguns.

I've recently started "Project Nerts" amongst my friends - an attempt to revive some Jazz Age lingo, one word at a time, starting with "nerts" :)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Dan G said:
I currently reside in Billings Montana, I moved here from small town Sandpoint Idaho.

Heya Dan. If you think Sandpoint is smallsville, my wife is from Priest River, Idaho. In the time that I've visited that place, they got their first traffic light.

Welcome in!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think I first found FL by Googling hats. I think I found a loooong and loooong winded, but very fascinating and informative posting about hats by a guy from Virginia who was a hat maker (ring a bell, anyone?). Anyhow, I left the bookmark in my computer for at least a year, and was recently going thru old bookmarks to delete some, and decided that this looked interesting. So for at least a month now I'm here every evening, and often during the day at work (don't tell the boss!) I was born in 1946, and my family had a TV early on, like 1950. (Boy do I wish I still had that little round tubed Philco in the massive mahogany cabinet!) In those days there was about 4 hours of programming and about 6 hours of old movies. I mean really old movies. True dreck from the 30's and 40's, mixed in with many classics. My parents met in the Marine Corps, in Washington DC, working on the Leatherneck magazine, so I grew up poring over old issues from 1944 and 45. I still have the 1944 and 1945 bound volumes in pristine condition. My dad was an art director, and tho he died young (1953) he left a treasure trove of art materials from as far back as the 1920's. We have somewhere a couple of advertising art annuals from Germany from 1929 to 1934, plus his old Voigtlander camera. Just magnificent stuff.
I also was influenced by my mom's love of big band music The town I grew up in, Chautauqua NY, is the great granddaddy of summer cultural festivals, so I saw Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman during my youth. One of my favorite relics from my dad was a set of small books of photographs of New England by a man named Samuel Chamberlain. My dad was also a big fan of Rockwell Kent, great art deco illustrator.
About 21 years ago a co worker strolled by my desk and said "You'd like to take ballroom dancing lessons with us, wouldn't you Dan?" and my mouth said "Sure!" before my brain could say "No way!". Thus began my involvement with swing dancing. I met my late wife at a New York Swing Dance Society dance in 1988. She was a phenomenal swing dancer, phenomenal. And I started MC'ing the dances, in my snazzy 40's vintage tux, with the eight inch wide double breasted lapels. (Which, sadly is worn out, and doesn't fit any more, anyway.)
I started wearing vintage clothes, especially ties about 15 years ago, but had sort of petered out for the last couple of years. But now I'm gonna start again! And I'm planning to go to Bencraft Hats here in Brooklyn on Sunday to replace the nice fedora that I LEFT IN A CAB LAST YEAR!!!
I also just got my old 1941 Zenith 10 tube console radio restored. I have a little gadget, an AMT3000 AM microtransmitter, that will send a signal from my CD player (or FM radio, or computer, whatever) to the radio. So I listen to my big band music and OTR shows on a very rich sounding old radio. My fondest dream is to own a 1941 Buick Century.
I'm just tickled to have found this bunch of folks. I think it's great that on the one hand, people in populated areas, NY, Chicago, SF, Sydney (yes! we span the globe!) can get together and have real events, while on the other hand people in isolated areas, Montana, etc., can get the support they need to go out on a limb and have fun, even if they're the only one for hundreds of miles who's living this lifestyle. You may be surprised who you may influence!
I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, if the mooted New York City event takes place.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Parallel Guy

Good God! I sure put up a lot of words there. Sorry, folks.
Parallel Guy! I think that's a brilliant idea!! Absolutely brilliant. You should keep a blog. Or to be even more authentic, keep a DIARY! On PAPER, written with a PENCIL or a PEN. It would be interesting to see how you react to quasi reliving the past. Have you seen the film Time After Time, or read the book Time and Again, both by Jack Finney? The guy does just what you're describing, and actually goes back in time. Make sure you have some 1945 money with you at all times, just in case!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We need more chairs!

Hello newcomers and welcome to the lounge,

This is a swell place to be, full of patient, eager to teach vintage enthusiasts ranging from everything to hats, pens, homes, and appliances (altho some may have had a drink too many ;) )!

Since you are sharing a bit about yourselves, I thought Id do the same.

My name is Shelley, Im 29 and I live in brick building vintage San Francisco. I have a BA in childrens book illustration, and an MFA in 2D animation (the pencil and paper kind). I belong to two lounges (aint that a hoot) this one, of corse, but also a keen physical lounge in the citay called Stitch Lounge. Thats right, Im a clothing junkie.

I sew most of my own clothing now, exclusively from vintage patterns. If I could make shoes and hats, Id never shop again (except for fabric). But my tastes dont end there. I have a deep love for classic illustrators, and animation. Its what I do! I could watch that stuff for hours....:rolleyes:

Well welcome one and all. We're gonna need more chairs at the bar, (but Im sure the fellas will get up and offer their seat to the pretty ladies ;) ). So relax, knock a few back, and enjoy the company. Youll find this palce a great fit.

LD

Christine

New in Town
Hey ladies! I already introed myself in the other thread but decided to add to this one as well since I browse 'The Powder Room' more than the other subforums. I lurked for a few days before I decided to jump in. I've already learned so much from you all so far and want to thank you. Hope to learn more from this group in the future! :)

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Chanfan
Heya Dan. If you think Sandpoint is smallsville, my wife is from Priest River, Idaho. In the time that I've visited that place, they got their first traffic light.

No kidding? Who'da thought? I get pretty stoked hearing things like that! I actually lived in Sagle, which is just south across the long bridge, but we used to camping near Priest River all the time!

Miss Retro

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies

Hello everyone, I new here after lurking for sometime i joined. I love everything about the 40's and 50's and have learnt so much from you ladies already........like Besame cosmetics! I have a lovely order coming and i can't wait. You're all a wealth of knowlege and i'm please to meet you all. I live in The Netherlands but i am English and my name is Stefani.

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
I've been one of those lurking around for a while, yet to post a whole lot. I'm Samantha and I'm a 22 year old college senior in South Dakota. There is VERY little around here for reenacting or anything from the Golden Era, and this site has been like a dream come true! I'm looking forward to "settling in" soon!

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Hello EvryOne !

Rick from SoCal here.
43 y/o MWM with various ties to the past.
Fave Actor: see avatar
Fave music: 50-60's jazz (BeBop to Cool)
I work as a Railroad Traffic Controller ( Train Dispatcher) for our local commuter railroad (Metrolink). I work nights and our dress code is pretty relaxed. Married for 8 years, I have a beautiful wife and 7 y/o daughter who are my muses for being.
I am a wet shaver convert of 9 months and was referred over here by a member of Badger and Blade for some advice on a Panama Hat I have some issues with.
I dont own much vintage attire (unless a 1980's Members Only jacket counts) but I am eager to acquire.
I too believe I was born 30 years too late.
Thanks for having me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav