Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Mr Thompson

New in Town
Howdy ho, everybody...

I've been a lurker here for well over a year, long enough to feel that I already know most of you who post regularly, but just this week decided to take the plunge and become a member, so you can know me too! Hopefully I can occasionally contribute something worthwhile to the wonderful, encyclopaedic wealth of information offered here. I'm a regular at dandyism.net, for those of you who pop over there occasionally. Although my personal style has always been oriented towards a generically classic look, the posts here have helped me define and refine just what the Classic Era look is and continue to aim for that. And thanks to your posts, one month ago I purchased my first fedora, a Bailey, and (again thanks) the first thing I did was steam it and re-bash it to a diamond crease. :D I shan't bore you further; I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to lend a formal hello to get my posting career started off on the right foot.

As ever,
Mr Thompson.

Medusa

New in Town
Hi!

I have been lurking for a couple of months and have just joined! YAY!

I am an Arkansas native but just moved to Los Angeles. Basically, I love any type of vintage style of dress but the 30s and 40s are my favorites.

AND I have a vintage shoe and purse fetish! :eusa_clap

henderson field

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

My name is Tony and I live near to Cambridge in the UK. I work as a senior software developer in Cambridge itself, having moved to the area about 3 years ago. I am single with no kids.

My interests include reading, walking, fly fishing, art, aviation, gardening and cooking. I have a particular interest in the Second World War; especially the Pacific campaign ( hence my ‘nom-de-lounge’).

I am lucky to live near to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford in Cambridgeshire. The museum boasts an extensive collection of WWII aircraft, many of which are in flying condition, and is still a working airfield. It is also the home of the last airworthy B-17 Flying Fortress in the UK, the “Sally B”.

To me, the 1940’s is a fascinating period. Not only for the momentous world events that took place but also as a time when men wore hats :) My favourite film is Casablanca with To Have and Have Not a close second.

It’s great to find a community of such charming and interesting people and I hope to be able to take part in many of the discussion threads.

All the best to you all.

Cheers,

HF

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Aboard

Good to see your interst in WWII. You have new best friends here at the Lounge.

I was saying to my wife only yesterday after watching this charming modern WWII era film about these Czech guys who flew in the UK during WWII that I wonder if my children will ever appreciate the role of the UK and USA and Commonwealth "Dominions" in saving Western Civilisation from the most monstruous barbarity?

Here on the Lounge we all love Foyle's War and the clothes and stuff but I think in the back of our minds we realize the monumental conflict that surrounded all of that.

I still cannot understand how Europe spent most of the 20c killing its citizens in wars - hot wars or cold wars- and even now is depleted and traumatised by that War.

My two pence FWIW....

Beer Baron

New in Town
So how's it going? I recently found this site and became hooked. I'm a almost 30 architect in New Jersey, with a beautiful fiance and house I'm slowly re-doing. I'm a half decent guitarist and an amateur home brewer. I've loved old movies since I was a kid when I'd watch video's of movies my uncles watched as kids. I've got too many other interests and hobbies to name or become really good at, but I'm always busy.

It's nice to meet you all and I'm looking forward to participating in the lively conversations I've only been eavesdropping in on until now.

John

TaxiGirl

New in Town
Greetings, ladies!

I'm fairly new to vintage collecting -- and as a grad student there's not a lot of money to throw at it anyway. But while I don't have a massive collection of vintagewear, I love the aesthetic... particularly of the 1930s, but also the 1940s. There were two things that really crystallized this and got me looking online for some resources (which led me here, eventually): the first was a trip on the QM2 a few months ago, and the second was a growing frustration at not being able to find clothes in stores that felt "right". Everything is either sized for someone else's proportions, or just flat-out ugly, or both.

And then I look at my grandmother's photo albums from the 30s and 40s (born 1914) and just get envious. She may have come from a large family, and not had much money, and not even spoken English before she went to school, but she looked awfully good.

My goal isn't particularly to replicate that world in dress, but it is to evoke it. There's just something about the idea of being pretty, or sexy, without being utterly provocative or scandalous. Or naked.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Hello FL!

Hi there all, I'm Adelaide... I posted one of these lovely welcome messages over in the Powder Room, so you can pop over there for that and other posts. I'm a long-time vintage lover who has just recently been able to adopt vintage dress on a regular basis, and I'm ever so grateful to all the ladies in the PR who have provided such a wealth of information. I live in and attend college in downtown Chicago, and would love to get any leads for great vintage in the city that won't drain my tiny student pocketbook!

It's been great meeting you all and reading everything on the threads, and I can't wait to dive in and contribute!

Flivver

Practically Family
Hi Everyone!

I've been reading posts here for several months and finally decided it was time to join up. The FL is an incredible group of interesting, and knowledgeable people. I have learned SO much here already.

I am a single guy born in 1951. My passion for prior decades started at age 5 when I attended Kindergarten in a one room schoolhouse that was built in 1848. Somehow, that experience fueled an interest in past times. I began asking my parents what it was like when they grew up in the 1920s and 30s. That, plus a few visits to local antique car museums and I was hooked. My parents instilled in me their solid Depression era values, for which I am eternally grateful. By high school, when the other kids were into the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, I was listening to Irving Aaronson and his Commanders or Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys…needless to say; I wasn't the most popular kid in my class!

My favorite era spans the 1920s through the 1940s, with a particular emphasis on the late twenties and early thirties. I like just about everything from that time period, but I tend to focus most on the cars (hence my username), radios, phonographs, movies and music. I don't dress vintage, but I would certainly give it a try if accompanied by a lovely vintage-attired lady. I've already started thinking about getting a fedora…

I look forward to getting to know many of you and to expanding my horizons of interest through the many things you are all interested in. And I hope to be able to add to the group's knowledge base on some of the topics that I'm involved with.

brizzdeco

New in Town
hi there!
my name is briony - how do you do?

just joined FL, however i have been lurking for a while in the sidelines and figured i should make myself official so to speak.
i live in the ACT of australia at the moment and hope to get my self off to london in a few months for a working holiday.
i adore 1930's & 40's clothing and spend alot of time sewing, trawling ebay for vintage fabrics and trims and making/buying frock patterns - in that order!
have just started lindy hop classes and have a distinct feeling that will become another regular activity to add to my "to do list".

lots more later!
bm

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Hello from Colorful Colorado!

Howdy gals!
My name is Joie (said Joey) but I couldn't resist the play on words for my username!! I've been lurking here for a few months, but I'm pretty shy, so it took me a while to get the nerve up to join.

My father got me hooked on classic movies as a child, and that's where I learned my ideals of beauty. I've been an amateur student of fashion history practically forever. I don't actually wear much in the way of vintage clothing though. While, I know they're just clothes and designed to be worn, I'm always so afraid of destroying things that it just isn't worth the stress for me. My main exceptions are bags, hats and jewelry. I figure (or choose to believe) that they get less real wear and are harder to destroy. I mostly stick to classic styles and vintage inspired items and have begun sewing to add to my wardrobe.

I adore the styles from the mid 1940s through the 1950s. Putting on dresses, stockings and pumps just makes me feel so much more feminine and beautiful and alive! I just can't tell you how thrilled I am to find a community of ladies who are interested in some of the same things I am!! I'm really looking forward to getting to know the ladies of the FL!

Joie

Kimberly

Practically Family
I'm new too

Hi ladies,

I too wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking since yesterday and feel right at home already.

I have always been a fan of the past (especially the 30's to 50's) and love vintage clothes, home accessories, old movies, big band etc. and am thrilled to finally have a place to go to where others share that same enthusiasm.

I found this place quite by accident. I was doing a google search for 40's hairstyles and voila! I found this place. :eusa_clap

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Kimberly said:
I found this place quite by accident. I was doing a google search for 40's hairstyles and voila! I found this place. :eusa_clap

Welcome! I too found the board because of a search for 40's hair :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks olive!

I am hoping I will be able to figure out how to do something with my hair from here.

I have been trying to use rag rollers for the past two weekends straight (won't dare try it during the work week in fear of what I would go to work looking like) lol .

Anyhow, both times after I took them out I looked like a cross between Rosanna Rosanna Danna and Shirley Temple. I need serious help in the hair setting arena. lol

Shearer

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
Anyhow, both times after I took them out I looked like a cross between Rosanna Rosanna Danna and Shirley Temple. I need serious help in the hair setting arena. lol

Hee! Rosanna Rosanna Danna... that made me laugh lol

(Been there, though!)

Nice too meet you!!

mike

Call Me a Cab
hello I'm mike and it's a pleasure to be here! I was first directed to this site after winning a wonderful german early 30's three piece suit (with british styling... so pre-WW2..?). And have been an on and off lurker ever since! I love edwardian, 20's, 30's & 40's styles and have one of the best jobs in the world as assistant archivist at 20th Century Fox! :D yup that's the short version, howdy :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Hi all, I just found this place and am so glad I did. I love all things vintage especially clothes from the 30's to mid 50's and things for the house (I love to collect). I am also a huge fan of black and white movies, big band music and anything else that reminds me of the past.

It's great to be here! :D

lefty12

Familiar Face
Hi,

I've been lurking for quite some time now, registered quite some time back but never really posted anything.

I found this forum when I was searching for jazz music of the 20's, 30's and 40's. Yeah, I love it.

This is an awesome forum with tons of information from alot of brilliant people.

Cheers!
lefty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav