Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

celtic

A-List Customer
ello ello.
33. male. married. child-free. chubby. bald. motorcyclist. seemingly bitter and sacrastic but really a hooker with a heart of gold.

found this place whilst doing a search for something or other awhile back. just recently stumbled upon it yet again, so i fingered i'd join up.

noticed i recognized a couple of your regulars from another corner of ye olde intarweb.

i generally don't shop vintage, i just always find myself searching for old-timey new stuff.

i also don't 'dress up' entirely in old styles, i use them to accent my regular wear. for instance, i wear a modern looking suit with a fedora or cap, or a vintage looking tie, etc...

i dig a lot of old-timey stuff, hate most technology (although i realize i need it to enjoy my day-to-day),

i don't take much seriously, myself included. i tend to take the piss out of anybody and anything, myself included.

Private Eye

New in Town
I am awed by this illustrious cast of characters!

I've lurked a bit on and off for some time now, but I've only just joined the crew and I'm mighty glad I've waited no longer. I haven't read all the bios of our new brethren, but I can tell you that I already hold much in common to our Canuke brother, Canucklehead, Trampilot (Fraud Investigator... very interesting), Astrobleej, and Enfield3-8303.

I'm an actor living in LA who's always lived with one foot firmly planted in the past. I was the kid in the family who, rather than hang out with my own age, would "lurk about" the grandparents, listening to their tales and histories. I was the family genealogist and I am now the keeper of the photos. I admit to being a bit obsessive-compulsive. This has colored my life from an early age, whether from reading books or working as an actor in roles, I tend to "adopt" characters I can identify with.

As an example, from 2004 to 2006 I was steeped in the 18th and 19th centuries after being cast as William Eaton and Henry Morgan respectively in two History Channel Docudramas. The hair grew long and the Van Dyke thick....

As the afterglow of my History Channel adventures dimmed, I decided upon a different tack. I cut my hair short and rekindled an earlier obsession with Detectives, bringing myself back to the 20th century slowly starting with Conan Doyle, then to Hammett and Chandler! I completely lost myself in Chandler. I started smoking a pipe (justified by calming my nerves in LA traffic), The double-breasted suits and ties became my mainstay. My twenty-year-old fedora now became a regular "emblem" for me. I never left the house without it and I was determined to single-handedly bring back the hat to Hollywood society ... one head at a time!

MandrakePerforms2_72PPI.jpg

ShamusDuoGrain3.jpg

It's strange what the universe brings you if you just ask for it. I very quickly received offers to do film noir-styled short films and projects (I'll try to get some scenes up and added to my reel on the home site) The style has definitely caught on. Co-workers at my current "day job" joined me on a lunch-time sojourn to the local hat shop where one purchased a nice summer fedora.... I've only just begun!

http://lancejholt.com/
MySpace

Flora

Familiar Face
I'm new... my name is Flora. My usual usernames go along the lines of Succubus (AKA a demon whore), but I thought, my mind needs to take a break from the morbid side. I don't know, I'm too worried to say much else......

Flora

Familiar Face
CanadaDoll said:
Hi fellow Canadian!!!!!!! *waves*:D
Hello! I love living in Canada... I came here as a refugee from the Gulf War in Iraq. I guess I could tell more about myself... I was born in Batnayah, Iraq. I am Iraqi/Lebanese/Chaldean/Assyrian/Turkish. I lived in Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, and now, in Canada! :) Canada is the most beautiful place in the world :):)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Welcome!

From one new gal to another, welcome! :)

I hope you like it here. The atmosphere is swell and the company is divine!

Flora

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
From one new gal to another, welcome! :)

I hope you like it here. The atmosphere is swell and the company is divine!
I do, but I'm probably the youngest considering I'm 16....

Jack Straw

New in Town
Hello all! I'm Jack, just started here; I have to say it's been fun perusing through the different threads and learning about vintage clothing. I've never really dressed vintage per se, mostly because I'm difficult to fit. I'm 6'4" and weigh about 235lbs. It's hard to find any clothes that fit me let alone vintage clothing. I grew up in a extremely traditional family, both in manners and dress. I grew up listening to Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Harry James, etc... I remember watching my parents dance to In the Mood or Billie Holiday's version of The Way You Look Tonight in our kitchen. I always dressed well growing up and continue to do so. I'm very old fashioned, a traditionalist I suppose.

Anyway, it's nice to see everyone having a good time. Ciao!

BTW, can anyone tell me how to put a picture (avatar? I'm computer-speak illiterate:( ) of myself? I've looked around but I'm as lost as ever.

Grimnar

New in Town
Gday all,
Its good to be finally a member of this wonderful forum.
Im from the land down under (Australia) and im interested in all things 30's and 40's mainly military history of Australia and Germany. I also love the music.
I look forward in discussing a pleathora of topics and subjects.

Thanks
Matt

birddog

New in Town
Hello All,

My name is Steven. I'm 57, was born in the U.S., have duel citizenship with Ireland & have been living for over 30+ years in Europe, since the U.S. Navy dumped me there in the 1970's. Home has been in Spain, Belgium, England and Germany, where I've been living for the third time for 13 years.

I've been in aviation for 37 years & am self employed as a consulting engineer. My interest in the 30's & 40's has existed since I was a kid in the 50's. Growing up around great cars, men with hats, Art Deco arcitecture, Manhatten cocktails, WW II stories told by neighborhood fathers drinking beer on a porch on hot summer nights, a grand father that was an New York Central engineer driving the 20th Century Limited & Empire State Express, all left a lasting impression.

Now that I'm secure in life, I've collected three antique airplanes; a 1940 Luscombe 8C, a 1946 Fairchild 24W a Piper Army L-4B artillery obervation airplane, and a 1964 BMW R69S that I bought second hand in 1972 & just restored. I also have two Art Deco Spanish travel posters I bought cheap 25 years ago in Sevilla, Spain, which I exhibit with other art in my German apartment.

Why do I do this? I love the style and simplicity of these great machines, and I can work on them myself. Modern machinery does not interest me personally. I work with it as an occupation, but I just can't get excited about a fully automated world. Too many bells & whistles for a dumbed down, legal-obsessive world.

With the planes I started getting into period clothing to match. I have a complete WW II period flight gear set to wear with the Piper & am now stocking up for the other planes.

I fell into the Fedora Lounge by accident, signed up & started writing. The advice, comaraderie, and material has been no less than grand. I found home.

If you're passing through the Frankfurt area, look me up, & maybe we can swap stories at an airshow, having a Manhatten in the shade of an elegent wing.

Steven

Mr. Steve

New in Town
New Guy-

My name is Steven, I am 33 and live in Ventura, Califronia. I just stumbled onto this site two days ago. It is nice to reach people who have the same intersts as I do.

In my line of work, I am able to suit up daily. I have found my suits tend to be very conservative and traditional. My idea of conservative and traditional seems to place me sometime in the 30's and 40's. I have a great passion for all things WWII era and the good natured people of that time. I am able to wear a fedora on a daily basis and am quite proud of, what some people might think, an abundant collection of wingtips. I very much enjoy the collecting of vintage fedoras and the boxes they came in. I look forward to learning more from those who support this form as well as becoming better skilled at navigating this site so I may contribute as well. Thank you for the warm welcome.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Here's another Steve. Hi Daisy. Stumbled on this site looking for a quality baseball hat.Although I don't have any vintage clothing, I tend to go with older style pants, pleated if I dress up. Ive owned a Fedora or two in my life. Cheap Iniana Jones copies. My father wore a fedora in his day.He was in the Airforce in WWll. I'll never forget a picture of him (my brother might have it tucked away somewhere)wearing an A-2 in his uniform standing under a plane.
I remember there were 4 or 5 hats in the coat closet growing up.I wish I had them now. I took one as a kid and cut off the brim and cut a jagged edge around it and flipped it up. Stuck a million pins on it like Goobers hat on Mayberry.lol I kick myself now.
Anyways, after lurking for a few I actually find vintage clothing intriuging.
I find the womens styles to be very sexy and feminine,unlike todays styles. I've always liked Pendelton shirts because they look old to me. Always like old movies,I like the WWll era and the fifties. Sixties too.I love watching the twilight Zone and looking at all the old stuff. I have a funny feeling I'll be dressing a little different after hanging here for a while. You all seem to be good people.
I like anything antique. If it's old and still around it's worthy.Maybe I'll have to get a good quality fedora one of these days.I'll put it on my list.
Later,
Coop

EAL

New in Town
New member checking in

Hi All,

I'm Eric. I live in Hawaii - my home for most of my adult life, and the place I plan to live out the rest of my days.

I must confess I do not yet own a Fedora. My cover of choice is a standard khaki colored Tilley hat which serves me well in this tropical climate. I feel comfortable wearing it with aloha attire as well as at work or play outdoors in a tshirt and shorts. It is serviceable, functional, and reliable - not to mention virtually indestructible. And it is one of the few hats I like the looks of.

Fortunately, this forum is about more than hats. At 38 I do love the era my parents grew up in. I was a late surprise for Mom and Dad. Even as a little boy, I loved to listen to my parents talk about how things were during their childhood, teens, and young adult years. The story of how my mother and father were married, left their rural Illinois home when my father enlisted in the USAF to join the war in Korea, and lived for a period in a trailer near Las Vegas captivated me. As I grew into my own partying years, I was able to read between the lines in my Mom's storytelling and catch a hint of the great times the young couple I call my parents had living it up with some of the other couples out in the desert.

Now I'm "living it up" with my own wife and kids in Hawaii. My wife has just retired from a career in the military last year and beginning her second career, and I have over a year left on my military career. We've been here 12 years together. I like the modern Hawaii, but love the old Hawaii - especially the WWII era Hawaii.

Hopefully, that is enough about me for now. The rest will come out in further discussion I hope.

Glad to meet you all!

RIOT

Practically Family
Hey All! Just wanted to introduce myself and am glad to be on here. My names Joe. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NYC but had moved to Bloomfield, NJ almost 4 years ago to be with my fiance Kristin "Photomuse", who had recently joined up on here as well.

Well I'm in to Hot Rod & Kustom Cars, I used to be in the Rumblers Car Club out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Played bass for an NYC Oi! band called Urban Riot, Tattooes, Rockabilly and WWII are some of my likes as well.

Real cool place you guys have here, and thanks for having me!

Cheers!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,

I'm in my mid-20's and I had decided to join here after feeling that a WWII event simply wasn't enough for me. I'm the type that has to have 'The Golden Era' all of the time like many of you.

My main interests are collecting vintage items (and reproductions thereof) of vintage items (eras 1925-1941). So far, I have a console radio that I have yet to learn more about - it is a Woolworth's Airline Superheterodyne (doesn't work, but is in pretty decent condition), and an old metal bed frame from the '30's. Those are the 'big' items. Many of my lamps are of the 'contemporary' style but very much retro Art Deco (as are some of my other appliances).

The art styles I like the most are Art Deco and Art Nouveau (I learned they are related).

As far as WWII - I have a fond passion for U-Boats. Some may consider me crazy, but since I'm able to get away with it - I wear the U-Boat working dress as my clothes (no 'dirty birds' though - I sew them on for the events). Doing this makes my life easy because I don't have to worry about 'change in uniform'. I learned that no one really knows I'm wearing the working dress unless I tell them. Plus, I don't have to be extremely careful when I'm doing something - because if I get grease on these, it will only add to my uniform.

I also have an interest in Natural/Healthy Living and Aromatherapy.

Thanks for Welcoming me here,

Prien

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
hi my name is vicki and i've been a midwesterner all of my days. Paddy told me about this place a few months ago & i finally popped in. i'm a prop freak and a history buff, so i think i'm in the right place.

ilcatex

New in Town
Again, hello everyone. I'm Chris from the Chicago burbs. Have worn fedoras most of my life, and am glad to have found this forum. I found it, by the way, when I picked up Classic Style mag. Love that mag!

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Hello!

My name is Vanessa and I'm a new face in the FL. I live just outside of Manchester England and I have bright red hair. I'm really into 40's - 50's stuff. Everything from clothes, make-up and house stuff. I'm a 30 year old librarian, but I hate my job and I am now studying law! I'm originally from Canada and I came to England 10 years ago. I'm married w/o kids and I love cats. Hence the cat aviator. I will try to upload a pic of me as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Vanessa

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Hi to all, I recently found this site and I'm glad I did. A few brief details. I'm 35 years old, UK born and bred but a massive interest in all things American particularly Western/Cowboy. I've been a hat wearer for most of my life going through most styles. My current favourites are all modern but I'm looking to change that over the coming months. I have a Stetson Santa Fe, Justin 20X straw with cattleman crown, a no-name straw pinch front on it's way to me as a work hat, I have my eye on an OR I've seen. I also own a Woolrich hunting coat late'50s, early 60's I think. Like I say I don't have much in my collection ATM but am looking to amend that. I also collect vintage smoking pipes, Kaywoodies, Dr Grabows, Medicos' and Yello-Bole. I've spent the last week reading threads here and still plenty more to go at. Look forward to joining you all in the threads.:fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925