Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

nyx

One of the Regulars
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Good morning everyone

I'm Meggie. I am 24 and I live in the Phoenix valley, where the only things vintage here are the old people! I am a Milwaukee native and have only been here in the valley for about 3 years. My husband is in the National Guard. He is currently serving in Afghanistan. I am so thrilled to have found this site and I hope it will be the creative outlet I have been looking for.

I have always had a vintage soul but because I wasn't born with good hairstyling genes, I don't really look it! Help! I am excited to have a more "me" look but I don't know what style would be most flattering. My husband calls me his little librarian.. but I want the inner pin-up to shine! Any suggestions for make-up and hair?

Oh my, Meggie. If you only knew... There's an entire Beauty section that will answer probably almost every question you have about hair or makeup. And if it's not there (although search first for your topic), you can post any question and the girls will answer you. I was hair-stupid myself, and the threads have been very helpful for me. Welcome!

Masonjar

New in Town
Greetings!

Hi there! I stumbled across this site doing research on eyeware. Nice bonus to find a forum for discussing other items of fashion. Now I want a Fedora! (actually, I've wanted one for some time).

Anyway, as much as I'd love to have several hats and suits, etc, I'm very budget-bound (my little girls get the clothes first!) these days. That's not to say I haven't found some cool things at the thrift-store, but most of my articles of clothing from from Kohl's and JcPenny.

I'm hoping to score some very cool retro glasses very soon, hopefully that will be a springboard for me to fill in the gaps with some other more distinctive articles of clothing. Also, I'm in the process of losing weight. (I've lost 30 lbs this year so far). The thinner I get, the more I want to sport some killer threads. As for now, I enjoy the conversation and look forward to participating.

Take care,
Mason

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Hello Gals,

I'm Cassy. I've been around reading posts but never actually posted anything for myself until now. I thought I would join in the fun ;) I am 29 years old, married to a wonderful gentlemen from my childhood, no children - Yet and I live in a small town in Pennsylvania conveniently situated in the middle of every "happening" town around. Just a few hours drive from D.C., Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Gettysburg!! I've always loved vintage ever since I can remember. My mother took me to Estate Auctions and we took antique shopping trips on my days off school and work. My love is for the 50's and 60's. Clothing and Shoes!!!! I look forward to meeting everyone :eusa_clap

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Nice to Meet Everyone!!

I posted in the Powder Room for New Ladies but I have a feeling it all migrated here :eusa_doh: . So Hello...........Again.

I am Cassy, it's not short for Cassandra although it may have made my life a little less confusing :) Just plain ole' Cassy, pronounced like Lassy not like Casey as in Casey at the Bat (Had to clarify that :D ). I live in a small town called Chambersburg, it's located in Pennsylvania. Conveniently located in the middle of every "happening" town around, although we are not one of those happening towns lol . I'm 29, married to a wonderful man, no children, 1 cat and a closet full of vintage clothing. I've been collecting vintage, well ever since I received my first allowance. I was able to furnish my entire house when I moved out, which is something I am proud of.

I came across Fedora Lounge while researching vintage Hair Styles and have been hooked ever since!! By the way, I am happy to say that I have mastered Victory Rolls pretty well. :D Thanks to all the beautiful ladies of Fedora Lounge for all their wonderful input on timeless beauty.

I look forward to chatting with you all ;)

zaika

One Too Many
Doran said:
Our daughter: Dominika.

I LOVE your daughter's name! I know a woman here who's name is Domnika...without that first 'i' and I love it.

And my own name is Anastasia. :)

Another name I adore is Barsanuphius. Imagine walking around with a moniker that big...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Hi everyone!

I've been a member for a few weeks now, lurking a bit and posting a few things, including my own threads. I'm just so happy to see others out there with similar interests as I do! Living in the suburbs, it's hard to find as many...self-aware...people as there are on these boards.

As for details about me, I'm Elise, 22, finishing off my last semester of college (I go to CSU Channel Islands in Camarillo, studying English). In the mean time, I'm working at Barnes & Noble making enough money to pay for gas and bills until I get a real job.

I've always adored times past, either reading books or watching movies and daydreaming that I was elsewhere (or elsewhen!). My mom told me when I was young that I was born out of my time, and I suppose she was right! I look forward to meeting more of you as the weeks progress!

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
sweetfrancaise,
Comment ca va?
Welcome to the forum. I lurked for a long time as well. It's nice to link with "like minded" individuals. Nice avatar!
Best, Toots

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
hey ladies!

my name's Fay, and i've been lurking on here for a while, and work internet acess means i can fineally post!:)
I'm 25, and live in east london. I work as a footwear designer, so i shold be able to help you with any shoe related queries! I love the fashions of the 40's and early 50's. i dress vintage, or at least vintage inspired everyday, and i love styling my hair! it's my new hobby!!
im looking forward to chatting to you all!
xx

CherryCake

New in Town
Hello,
I'm Ingrid and I'm 28 years old. I live in Stockholm, Sweden and work as a nurse.
I'm very fascinated about everything vintage from late 30's to the 50's, especially the WWII area.
I also do volunteer work at the Red Cross flea market every Friday, a great sourse for bargain finds! It's also so fun to be able to help other people to find neat things for almost no money at all :)

I live with my boyfriend in a cute little flat in a house built in 1953 and the kitchen still has the old style and the original cupboards with sliding doors which I of course love!

Being a plus size gal ain't always easy so I just bought a sewing machine and looking forward to make my own dresses from vintage patters.

Nice to meet you all!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Hi Cherrycake,

Loads of the big pattern companies do 'retro' lines now, be sure to show us when you make something! :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
Hello All -
I'm Jennifer from mpls. Been interested in vintage design in general for 15 years or so. Dressing primarily in 40s-50's for a number of years now. I definitely am looking to refine my look these days though by learning more about the make-up and hairstyles of the past.
I work as an interior designer and love the deco/hollywood vibe right thru the tiki lounges. I wish that the attention to our everday items was so well thought as the bauhaus era. I own a bungalow and have tried to restore (what I can afford to) and dream someday of owning a perfect atomic ranch.
I loved finding this site and have lurked for a while but am hoping to contribute as the days go on!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Relativly new, and finally getting the hang of it!

Hello everyone!
I'm Sara Klotz de Aguilar, pianist/singer/bandleader of Sara & Swingtime since 1989. I've been collecting vintage since the 70s when it was affordable, and still love to shop. I live in Oakland with mi amor, mi espozo Raul Aguilar, and we have 1 cat, a ramshackle wooden 100-year-old house, and 6 Jaguars (the cars, not the felines). I am a former board member and longtime member of the Art Deco Society of California.
I play every year for both the Queen Mary Art Deco Festival and the Ahwahnee Heritage Holidays, as well as lots of country clubs and weddings etc.
I also lecture on the subjects of vintage fashion (30s is my favorite), hair and makeup.
I collect Delineator magazines, I already have the entire decade of 1927 though 1936!
You can also find me under the same screen name of Miss 1929 at myspace and the Port Halcyon site. Also, please check out my band page at myspace.com/saraswingtime.
I am thrilled and delighted to be here! What a warm and welcoming group you all are!!!
l_9febaabc90cfee32809f72f236b4bd11.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here I am, Miss 1929

Hello ladies!
I posted in that new ladies section outside the Powder Room, but forgot to do it here... I have always loved old things, and started vintage collection in '76 - it was cheap but i was a broke teenager, darn it all! Heavily into the 30s. I live in Oakland, I am a longtime member and previous Board member of the Art Deco Society of California - I used to produce the Gatsby Summer Afternoon and the Preservation Ball, and I am their original Decobelle (therefore my handle, the title I won in 1987)! I play swing jazz and blues of the 20s and 30s, on the piano, and sing, and lead up to the six piece "Sara & Swingtime" with a finely plucked brow...
I am crazed for vintage jewelry, especially matching parures! And of course, shoes...
Looking forward to many nice hours in the Powder Room!
PS: Yes, that is a 20 year old picture... but hey! It's safe to look that good in here! Wish I still did.
l_989dc585b7c25945b5a5130068740ac5.jpg

CherryCake

New in Town
Hello,
I'm Ingrid and I'm 28 years old. I live in Stockholm, Sweden and work as a nurse.
I'm very fascinated about everything vintage from late 30's to the 50's, especially the WWII area.
I also do volunteer work at the Red Cross flea market every Friday, a great sourse for bargain finds! It's also so fun to be able to help other people to find neat things for almost no money at all

I live with my boyfriend in a cute little flat in a house built in 1953 and the kitchen still has the old style and the original cupboards with sliding doors which I of course love!

Being a plus size gal ain't always easy so I just bought a sewing machine and looking forward to make my own dresses from vintage patters.

Nice to meet you all!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
CherryCake said:
Hello,
I also do volunteer work at the Red Cross flea market every Friday, a great sourse for bargain finds! It's also so fun to be able to help other people to find neat things for almost no money at all

Nice to meet you all!

Nice to meet you too, Ingrid! Let me know how finding patterns for the plus-sized figure goes--I really want to start making my own dresses!

satindoll

New in Town
Hi Everyone!

Posted for the first time last night in the Powder Room and thought I should come over here and introduce myself. My name is Theresa and I've been lurking here off and on for quite some time. I met long time member, Daisy Buchanan, last year at vintage clothing store in Massachusetts and she encouraged me to join the lounge. I truly did have every intention of doing so and finally got around to it. Better late, than never as they say!

I live in south Florida, close to Palm Beach. My husband and I are avid swing dancers and pretty much always listen to music from the 30s, 40s and 50s. Our house is decorated in mid-century style and we've even got the whole tiki lounge thing going on out on our lanai, which is perfect for Florida!

I've worn vintage or vintage inspired clothing for years. So naturally I was thrilled to find all the great information from the lovely ladies of the lounge on vintage fashion, beauty and hair styles. I even have a vintage style blog and this forum has provided me with great ideas for blog posts on many occasions. Of course I always gave credit to the Fedora Lounge in every post!

Anyway, glad I finally took the plunge. It's really nice to know there's a place to share my passion for the past with other like minded individuals.

Theresa

Carrie Rouge

New in Town
Evening Ladies!

I've been lurking for a while now, and finally decided to join the ranks!

I'm twenty years old and I live in London, UK and have been dressing 1950s-1940s for about four years now, I'm obsessed with design and I'm currently doing a degree in set & costume design. I'm also obsessed with theatre too and work in one as an usher. It's my dream to somehow bring old fashioned theatre back into the West End!

My current style icon is Gene Tierney. I can't leave the house without red lipstick which gets me quite a few wolf whistles!

My hair is a bit of a mess, and I'm currently trying to master pin curls, but it just turns into a big frizzy red mess. For years I did vintage without hair and make up, just lavish dresses bought from various shops and ebay. I usually wear my hair wild and free, but the desire to be 1940s perfect is becoming a struggle every morning!

I tend not to get stares from the way I dress, I work in Soho so it's pretty normal to see a girl wearing something from another world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80