Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Femme Fatale

New in Town
Hi ladies! My name is Madison, I am 25 from North Carolina. I'm graduating soon with a degree in apparel design. I have always had a love for historical costume especially pieces from the 40s, 50s, and early 60s. I randomly stumbled upon this website researching golden era clothing and boy am I glad I did! I seriously didn't know there was an online community with people with similar interests as me. I will definitely be visiting the boards more often.

Valya

New in Town
I guess I should have introduced myself quite awhile ago, but I missed this thread. Silly me. Well, I am from Ontario, Canada. I'm only 15, but since I was around 6 years old I can recall having a fascination with historical/vintage fashion, and I still do (I'm here, aren't I?). I've been sewing for five years, and in addition to making a lot of vintage patterns from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, I also sew garments from various historical periods, such as the 18th, 19th, and 16th centuries. It takes a lot more research and effort, but it's really rewarding. I found this website researching pincurl tutorials, and I'm so glad I found it!

Hello just joined today but have been a lurker haha. i'm 24 and been married a year. i love the 40s and 50s and everything about ww2 i just love the war. i hate hate hate my job and wish i could find something that i enjoyed or even liked abit. i have a blog that i blog about women from 40s and 50s, the war and some of the things a love like and enjoy.
cheers

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Hello!

I've been a happy little lurker for years now, and have enjoyed and very much been inspired by the goings on here. I just joined 'cause the limiting membership to paid-for email accounts has been lifted (Thanks!) and that allows riff-raff like me to finally get past the doorman. ;)

I have always loved and been drawn to the 20s thru 40s. I feel more "at home" there. It first manifested in a love of going to thrift shops and antiques stores. Everything of that era appeals: ephemera to cars and skyscrapers. Deco design is a particular thrill (hence the handle), that I never tire of. It gives me goosebumps.

I don't particularly dress vintage, but I guess you could always call it vintage inspired. I always work vintage pieces in, but don't go "full on" often. Two-fold reason is I'm rather shy and don't like undue attention (I know, I'm old enough that I should really get over that) but I also work outdoors with animals and must dress for the elements, so I end up in tall boots and vintage military/hunting wear alot. I end up looking like a 30s lady hiker much of the year!

I do have a lovely vintage long satin 30s dress I wore for my commitment ceremony. That might be the last truly "dress up" girly thing I've worn (and that was awhile ago!). Otherwise, I tend to the smart 40s jacket/slacks combo of a Hepburn or Dietrich when I can clean up and get out.

I call myself a "lapsed artist" and have been vowing to un-lapse for awhile now. But have been too distracted by work and turning our 30s building (which used to be a large work shed for an orchard!) into our home. We're in the 10th year of our "3 year remodel"!

I think that's a good primer on me! Looking forward to (visibly) hanging out around here. Thanks!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Hello all, I'm a longtime 'lurker' but new poster!

Myself and my husband (and 2 kids too) are into the 40's (hence the name), amongst other eras in his case, as he's also a Roman. We live in Chester, England, hence the Roman bit, so to our overloaded garage of armour and assorted weapons we have also added a 1938 Austin 'Big Seven'.
I have always dabbled in vintage from a teenager (my school uniform consisted of a mans 30's collarless shirt that hung below my vintage skirt, my mother despaired), but I have now 'settled' on the 40's to very early 50's as my preferred era.

Nice to meet you all!

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
Hi, to all the Ladies!
I am a longtime lurker but new poster! My boyfriend and I are both fiends to vintage. Myself more so. But I am training him slowly. I am more into the 40's and 50's and some early 60's before it went all psychodelic. I am 34, have been dressing vintage since I was a teenager. I mostly wear dresses which is what I think was my draw to vintage in the first place. I scour estate sales, yard sales, thrift stores and consighnment shops for most of my clothing, even once finding a vintage dress in an old suitcase thrown to the curb. I am looking forward to becoming active in the boards and posting pics of my finds and looks soon. Nice to meet all of you.

benjamin.f

New in Town
Hey folks,

yes yes as you read I 'm "NEW IN TOWN",,, since 4 years...
after a lot of traveln' and living here and living there I (not finaly) settle down. with an own TV, PC(internet), bed, cupboard, table and everything that belongs to a average life... dont get me wrong, but that's realy new for me! I am 29 and it's the first time that I have something to call truly home since left my parents in the age of 16.

I found the fedora lounge Dec.2006 while searching for a good trenchcoat.
SUBJECT101 wrote something funny: I dress like my grandpa. That's not exactly my style, because I try to look a bit smarter ...and without the Wheelchair, but I know what he means! Im scared how fast live goes... fashion, function, style, everything is just rushing by... and very often I feel like I'm in the wrong time! The time where cars look like cars, where you need a paper and a postman for the ShortMessageService ...and a real man (or woman with nuts) to fly a plane... oh, I can write the whole day but surely you know what I mean.
Now I want to look around the lounge for a nice A2 -my old leather is rotten away...
But at first havin' fun, drinkin' a scotch... just enjoy the fedora lounge.

cheers!

b

And remember I'm watching you

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello, my name's PADDY and I'm an NOS (New Old Stock) Member of this Lounge :)

To my Gentlemen Colleagues beyond the Pearly Gates of TFL...Give me a tweak please when you can, so that I get my ANGEL WINGS back - thanks in advance!

azshawn

Familiar Face
I have already posted/interacted some, but I guess I should introduce myself properly. My name is Shawn, I am a residential appraiser here in Arizona. I have been interested in newsboy and flat caps for years, but have recently developed an interest in fedora's as well. Part of my interest springs from the fact that every year I have less hair on my head and don't want skin cancer, part of my interest is rooted in a growing fascination with the endless combinations you can produce with a fedora eg: ribbon/bow/crease/bash etc.. I am also bolstered by the fact that the one fedora I do own my wife loves on me. It's a hard as a rock toyo straw fedora that I wouldn't buy again, but it works for now and it was a good gateway drug. I look forward to learning more about hats, thanks.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Hi

How do you paste images in to the post?

You don't paste a photo into a post.

You have to have a web hosting service to post a photo.

There are free services like Flikr to upload your photos to and then you can link them here. But you cannot upload photos from your computer directly to a message board like this.

Vicky Sue

New in Town
Hello, everyone!

I am a very new member of this website but I have read in some of the threads before. I am 18 years old and I live in a town called Umeå in Sweden (which explains my sometimes really bad english). Right now I am in my senior year of upper secondary school and I study music. I am also a part-time designer of a 40s/50s retro clothing line called Vicky Sue (hence my username), and I've had a couple of fashion shows where I live. I will someday in the future launch a website for this, and I will let you know when!

Well, I don't think there is so much more to say right now! :)

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Hello, all!

I'm Kate, 37, from Northern Virginia. I'm a librarian at a private boarding school, and I do historical re-enactment and living history in my spare time. I'm just getting involved in eras outside 15th-16th c. Spain; I'm edging into 18th century and now early 20th century as well.

I have a particular fondness for the 40s and late 50s/early 60s, but I also have a frequent urge to make 'teens era clothing as well. I sew most of my own clothing, and I suspect I'll be poring over the makeup tips most frequently.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
First day on the job here. Nice digs!

I stumbled in from filmjackets.com. I've been a member over there for a few years, but don't post much. Not too into some of those movie jackets. I like my Bond 'Tomorrow Never Dies' car coat and that's about it. That's a Wested product.

I have a small coat and jacket collection, nothing rare, old, or extravegant, but I like them. Military oriented mostly and started with my issue stuff while I was in the Air Force. N2B, A2, CWU-45/P and -36/P, overcoats, jackets, etc. Not a lot, but I like them all.

I've always liked the mid 1930's to about 1948 and I'll be buying my first fedora in a week or so. A Jaxon Bogart with C-crown, pinch front, gray. I also have an Alpine hat I brought back from Germany. Lived there for two years and vacationed again in 1986.

JAZZmann

New in Town
Ben's the name. I have been a fan of vintage and all things WWII for the majority of my 20 yrs of life. I am a student of the Classics (Graeco-Roman Classics) and Archaeology but the 30s through the 50s remain my primary hobby. Most of my vintage knowledge stems from my studies of WWII but I am now exploring the civie side of vintage. I have just discovered old time radio programs (awesome). I love art, Bill Mauldin's work in particular. Jazz and Big Band, nobody in particular but Artie Shaw is well up on my list. I have had a modern brown felt fedora for awhile but have just recently begun wearing it often. Annoyingly but predictably, people combine my plan to be an archaeologist and the fedora to be "Oh, you want to be Indiana Jones." No.
Glad I found the fedora lounge. I'll be here often.
Question: Anybody from around GR, MI know any radio stations with jazz or old time programs? I can't find any.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm not new here, but I have been away for two years (time really flies). I just thought I'd pop in here and reintroduce myself. I'm a grad student in the Boston area, though originally from the Midwest, and more of an admirer/observer of vintage life and style than a participant. Here's hoping I can reconnect with you all.

Best,
Polka Dot

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Glad to see they got your wings back for you Paddy! Love your NOS comment:)

Hello, my name's PADDY and I'm an NOS (New Old Stock) Member of this Lounge :)

To my Gentlemen Colleagues beyond the Pearly Gates of TFL...Give me a tweak please when you can, so that I get my ANGEL WINGS back - thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner