Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

silverladybug

New in Town
Booyah, more representation for the Victorian faction! Never forget, "The Victorians were the Lords of Style" ;) Welcome aboard, and yes, we're all mad here, bwahaha.

The fun thing is just being yourself and not caring whether others approve or not :D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. I'm glad that I've found a home. As for Victorian fashion I think it's beautiful. I'm not sure I could get away with a bustle at college though I might not fit in the desk.

UnkemptSeeker

New in Town
I'm popping out of lurkerdom for a few minutes to say hi :)

I'm Samantha, I'm 26 and I have lurking around here since my husband joined and started buying hats (in fact he's run out of room for them on his hat rack!)

I like the styles of the 40's and 50's and sometimes even the 60's.
I just made my first vintage purchase a few weeks ago and I already wish I had a unlimited bank account. :D

ambulatingreader

New in Town
Hi all, I'm Walt, from Seattle WA. I wore fedoras in the '70s that I got in thrift shops for $1 or so. My then girlfriend got me a $20 wool felt fedora that I wore camping and backpacking for years. It was a high crown, wide brim job that looked a bit like the Indiana Jones hat. Sadly, I got rid of it. Since 1978, I've been wearing mostly Kangol Spitfire brimmed caps, in both the wool blend (winter) and synthetic (summer) type. I rarely leave home without one. They're machine washable in cold water, air dry, and last forever, although the wool blend shrinks a bit over time. The only hat I don't wear is my "boonie" hat from my tour with the 4th Infantry Division in Vietnam, 1968. It sits on my bookcase, with my CIB pinned to the front.
I have a picture (black and white) of me, about 10-11yo, wearing a light colored fedora, probably for Easter. I've always liked hats, except for the ugly baseball type we wore in the army.
I was stricken with "fedora fever" recently. I 'm looking at an Akubra Stylemaster in Acorn, or a Squatter, and a wool felt fedora from Orvis. The former to go with my new wool mackinaw, the latter for hiking and birdwatching. Any comments about either are welcome.
If in Seattle, visit Byrnie Utz's hat shop on 3rd and Union, best selection in town.

Last edited:

Bob_Fixico

New in Town
Hello, I must admit I have been very rude thus far, for not introducing myself before. I do apologize for this. My name is Bob Fixico, originally from Muskogee, Oklahoma. Currently living on the roads of the Carolinas between Fayetteville NC, Charleston SC, and my “farm” in the upstate of South Carolina it seems. Age fifty one, retired US Army. Married thirty one year’s four sons sprinkled from age thirty down to age eleven. Three of my sons have blessed me with five grandsons. The oldest is nine down to the youngest who is in diapers. Sorry to say we have no girls in this family as of yet.

I am a collector of antiques and relics like myself. I can forget about finding vintage clothing for me to wear. I have outgrown all my clothes since 2005 because I have discovered good food again. So I have to build my wardrobe every season it seems.

Otateral

Familiar Face
Hello, I'm Jesse from the bay area, in California.

For a while I've been very fascinated by classic style, and sad about its disappearance. From hats, suits to barber shops. Everything good seems to be from before my time.

I'm 30 years old, working and going to school full time. I'm typically that guy in a suit seen walking on campus. I'm stuck in polos and khakis at work, so I dress nicer on my days off. Hats have been a recent addition to my wardrobe. Looking to begin moving away from the $15 walmart variety to something more refined. This site is like reading a book, there's just so much.

As an aside, you guys should totally look into publishing a magazine.

Britt Smith

New in Town
Hello everyone;

I have been a member for a little while but have never introduced myself. I am Britt and living in Guthrie Oklahoma. I retired from the Navy in 2003 as a Chief Petty Officer (22yrs). I work for the govt as an electronics tech. I was born in 1963 and have always felt that I was born a little late. I have always liked the 40's/50's especially listening to my father (WWII vet) and my mother. When I was 5 my mother tried to teach me the jitterbug. I was googling around for 1940's information and came upon this site. I thought it was so cool. I have been recently wearing 40's style work clothes or at least trying to. I hope to soak up alot of the knowledge here.

HatsWV

New in Town
Greetings all my name is Jason and I currently reside in charleston wv.

After lurking here for quite sometime I finally decided to register. I discovered some years ago that I have a preference for vintage clothing (which in my case currently translates into Harris tweed jackets and newsboy or flat caps.)

I bought Kangols and some other name brands for a few years before I found the hat people of Oregon and the b!Wear cap company through this website.

Now my only problem is that I can't seem to stop buying hats. Not such a bad problem though really.

MissBrittany

New in Town
Hello everyone,

My name is Brittany and I'm 20 years old. I've been lurking around for far too long without giving an introduction, so here I am to put an end to it.

I adore the styles of the thirties, forties, and fifties. My first real contact with those periods of fashion came from street performers and "characters" in Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios (back when it was just MGM), and from then on I suppose I've always harbored a slight obsession with those eras. My other fashion loves are American Colonial, Pioneer/Prairie (thanks to my childhood fixation on all things Laura Ingalls), and a Japanese street style called Fairy Kei.

I hope to continue gaining as much wonderful advice, tips, and tricks from this forum as I have been since registering. Hopefully I will be able to give back as much as I have received some day.

Chadster

New in Town
Found by Accident

Hello to all, found this site quite by accident when searching for different photos of stars of the 30's through the 50's with pencil mustaches, have always liked the clean look they gave as well as sporting one myself, there is a wealth of knowledge I hope to absorb, hope to talk with many, Regards.. Chad.

Little One

New in Town
Hello :)
I may have introduced myself once before, but I feel like I need to do so again as I've returned after a long time away from the lounge. As far as I'm aware, I've always been fascinated by anything vintage; in fact I can remember being in awe of antique shops as a child. The 1940s and 50s are by far my favorite eras, however, and I look forward to chatting with you all and learning as much as I can! I hope to talk to you soon!
Love
Alexis

Iain

New in Town
Good evening everyone, I've been lurking on here for some time now. Initially found my way here whilst looking for quality caps and found everything I wanted to know in the the cap faction thread but after further investigation it seems this forum covers a lot of my other interests, vintage razors, fountain pens, pocket knives and fine tobacco. Looking forward to learning from you all.

Regards
Iain

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Hello, I'm late to do this, but better late than never. Sorry!
I'm Joanne. I am a Texan (Space City y'all) and mother to two hooligans, I mean sweet boys. :D
I was a makeup artist by trade, but have recently become a back to school mom.
I have always felt a liking for things from the Golden Era, particularly the 40s. It started when I was a child and I am not sure where it comes from as I didn't have anything other than a late 70s then 80s childhood.
I found this lounge when I was looking at images of Besame eye shadows.
Pleased to meet you all and to be a part of this site. :)

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Good morning all. Will here, from sunny England (Cornwall, for those who know their geography), and I am rather chuffed to find a place where "jacket" does not mean "matalan" and "hat" does not mean "hoodie". I've found this place several times recently, which appeared to be a hint by the spirits of the interwebs, so if you dont mind the waft of tea being added to the scent of coffee, I'll take a window seat and watch the world go by.

Cheers :)

J.W.

A-List Customer
I don't like booze, so that part of British culture will pass me by. ;) But I'm really looking forward to exploring Cornwall & Devon. We'll be based in Newquay and Torquay, so if you have any tipps for some nice down-to-earth places to eat or things to see off the beaten path, I'll be glad to hear about them.

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Don't like booze! :eeek: Shocking!

But as for recommended places...good grief where to start! There are a couple of nice National Trust properties, a few Gardens, and if you like your history a little further back than the 40s there are a good selection of visits. A good start would be: St Michael's Mount (in Penzance harbour), Lanhydrock, Trelissick, Glendurgan, Charlestown (just south of St Austell - the latter is best to avoid, its not called St Awful for nothing ;)), Looe and Tavistock. Truro, St Ives and Falmouth are also nice, but can be very busy. If you want to sample some excellent Pasties, go for Philps and Rowes - avoid Ginsters, as their filling resembles substances best not mentioned....;)

J.W.

A-List Customer
If you want to sample some excellent Pasties, go for Philps and Rowes - avoid Ginsters, as their filling resembles substances best not mentioned....;)

Thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for without having to learn the hard way... ;)
We'll only be looking at St. Michael's Mount from afar, as we're traveling with or dog, so some of the gardens and parks remain closed to us, anyway. But we've already got a list of some that we can visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo