Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrNewportCustom said:
I also read a lot of hard boiled crime. I've already read most everything by Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald and Spilane. " [/I]

Nice to know you, Lee. Tell me, though: I have a hard time getting into Spillane. What do you like the most about him? Because if you can tell me a way to like his writing, I'm all ears. So far I find him kind of repellent. But I am always willing to change my opinion if someone can make me.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Nice to know you, Lee. Tell me, though: I have a hard time getting into Spillane. What do you like the most about him? Because if you can tell me a way to like his writing, I'm all ears. So far I find him kind of repellent. But I am always willing to change my opinion if someone can make me.

*smacking Doran on the head with a Spillane paperback* Nice to know you, too, Doran. lol

For me, I just liked the hard-core aspect of his writing. I started reading his books because of his Mike Hammer series. I remembered it from TV. I also read him to give myself a better understanding the genre for the (still latent) launch of a writing career.

I've picked up books I couldn't get into, only to put them down for a few years before trying again. Sometimes, when I could find them, I would get into them, sometimes I wouldn't.

He's like anyone else, Doran. If you like him, you like him. If you don't, you don't. There's really nothing I can say or do to make you like Spillane, or anyone else. Only you can make up your mind.

Lee

(Insert quote here.)

Dr Doran

MrNewportCustom said:
*smacking Doran on the head with a Spillane paperback* Nice to know you, too, Doran. lol

For me, I just liked the hard-core aspect of his writing. I started reading his books because of his Mike Hammer series. I remembered it from TV. I also read him to give myself a better understanding the genre for the (still latent) launch of a writing career.

I've picked up books I couldn't get into, only to put them down for a few years before trying again. Sometimes, when I could find them, I would get into them, sometimes I wouldn't.

He's like anyone else, Doran. If you like him, you like him. If you don't, you don't. There's really nothing I can say or do to make you like Spillane, or anyone else. Only you can make up your mind.

Lee

(Insert quote here.)

Fair enough.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
I must be a guy who can be swayed. When I first started reading I, the Jury I didn't care for it and didn't finish it. Then I listened to it and really liked it. I might even listen to it again. Don't ask me to explain I didn't like it at first because I can't remember, maybe it was too violent for my mood at the time. My tastes are changing and I would not like to be closed if someone tried to get me to like or not like an author or what ever.

Dr Doran

patrick1987 said:
I must be a guy who can be swayed. When I first started reading I, the Jury I didn't care for it and didn't finish it. Then I listened to it and really liked it. I might even listen to it again. Don't ask me to explain I didn't like it at first because I can't remember, maybe it was too violent for my mood at the time. My tastes are changing and I would not like to be closed if someone tried to get me to like or not like an author or what ever.

Thank you, Patrick. I try to cultivate this attitude toward authors too. I hated Aeschylus the first time I read the Oresteia and now it is my favorite work of literature of all time. I can be swayed too, in other words. I did find "I the Jury" to be too much when I read it (about 5 months ago). In what format did you listen to it? Radio? Books on tape? Please tell me where I can find it.
[Personally, as far as my tastes are concerned, I might prefer it if Spillane's scornful descriptions of broken teeth sticking through lips or pasted with blood on a broken nose, etc. were not included. It is not the violence itself that grossed me out, for I loved Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy as well as the utterly disgusting movie Hostel, and I have boxed and done martial arts and enjoyed knocking people around; but I think it was the merciless contempt for the beaten man and relish for the beating that bothered me in Spillane.]

BegintheBeguine

I actually borrowed it from the public library and we listened to it. It was on audio cassette from the Books On Tape company, recorded in 1987. Perhaps you can get it form your public library. My library doesn't do inter-library loans on audio-visual materials but maybe yours does or your school library does if they don't have it. PM me if you can't get it and want to hear it, I'll have a solution.
Ashley

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Personally, as far as my tastes are concerned, I might prefer it if Spillane's scornful descriptions of broken teeth sticking through lips or pasted with blood on a broken nose, etc. were not included. It is not the violence itself that grossed me out, for I loved Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy as well as the utterly disgusting movie Hostel . . . but I think it was the merciless contempt for the beaten man and relish for the beating that bothered me in Spillane.

Interesting how one's tastes can change from time to time.

Tim,

I stopped reading The Fog when a pair of garden shears became a part of the story, but I read The Amityville Horror straight through. I don't enjoy movies like Hostel at all, and won't see them, yet reading Spillane's violence doesn't faze me one bit. I've never liked seeing the good guy or the innocent get beaten down, but if it's the bad guy, well, the story proved that he deserved it. I guess that's why I enjoyed reading Spillane.

I've written short stories where I describe a beating - given and received. The toughest one I wrote was about my detective being beaten and left for dead in a greasy old garage. I wrote it first person. Got some interesting responses when I posted it.

I need to get back to writing and see if I can get published.

Lee

"An artist creates an image to inspire the mind. A writer inspires the mind to create an image."

Dr Doran

Interesting points, Lee. Thank you.
And, Beginthebeguine, I'll look for the books on tape version.
Pleasant chatting with you both.

<>Will Ayces<>

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

Hello all.

My name is Will and I'm a Vintage-holic.

I have been lurking on this site for about a year now. All the information and advice is amazing. So after all this time in the shadows, I finally decided to join.

My love for the Golden Era started when I was 12. I had a strange fascination with Al Capone at the time. Don't really know why. When I was a sophomore in high school my love for vintage hit it's peak. I remember saving all my money for a pair of black and white spectator shoes. At the time they were not trendy (or readily available) at all, so I saved all my Christmas and birthday money and got a pair. They were Italian Premieres by Nordstrom. I loved them so much, when I did get a job I bought a pair of brown and whites (I still have them too). I was the only kid at my school that wore suspenders, sport coats, ties, trench coat, and the aforementioned shoes. A few months after my shoe purchases a little movie called "Swing Kids" came out. The market got flooded with more affordable spectators and I was sad. Pretty soon others kids were sporting the same styles as I. I was very much upset (since I have always liked being someone that was "different") and instead of embracing the whole swing craze, I rejected it. I decided it was time to turn my back on the vintage style I had called my own for a few years now.

A lot of time passed and about 2 years ago I started realizing that things were coming full circle. I had went through other phases and somehow I ended up back where I started. I realize now it's who I ultimately am. Fortunately I saved some things form back then including the two pairs of shoes (which I had recently resoled and get tons of compliments on) and a suit with embroidered pinstripes of which I would love to find out the year it was made somehow.

I swing dance about three nights a week now, and although I don't dress vintage every day, I stick to classic style as much as I can.

Thanks everyone for a wonderful site., and thanks for reading my ramblings.

Cheers,
-Will

Whetstone

New in Town
Stepping Forward

Allow me introduce myself ladies and gentlemen. I am a college student at the university of Wyoming studying geology. I love both the style and functionality of old clothes and equipment. I prefer fountain pens, strike anywhere matches and high carbon steel pocket knives. I don't own much that is vintage, but I do like to emulate the style. I do my own leather work and I'm getting into sewing. My preferred drinks are tequila neat and gin martinis (is there any other kind?). In closing, great site, hope to be a regular.

Dr Doran

Nice to meet you Will and Whet! Delightful to have you aboard! Will, I sympathize with your situation. I flirted with vintage in the early 1990s and kept it up occasionally before gradually doing it more consistently when I realized that it suited me more than anything else. Whet, I am pleased to see a geologist here. You are not the only one here. Various good friends of mine (not on the Lounge) do geology, and one is an RG.
Welcome!

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Ok, my turn!

I just joined recently, I stumbled upon this site looking for vintage hair tips. I've always admired the Golden Age, and then as it turns out, I sort of belong there, mentally. Let me know if anyone figures out that time machine thing. I fell in love with accessoires and fashion when I lived in France, and that love never died. I'm rekindling that love lately with my desire to dress up vintage, which I first started doing for swing dances.

Other than that, I'll keep it short and sweet! I'm from South Carolina, hopefully will graduate from Clemson sometime here soon with my Graphic Communications degree, my favorite era is the 40s although I really like 30s shoes, I love shag and swing, red lipstick, tout ce qui est fran?ßais, men with impeccable manners, and knitting. Also I'm a terrible speller.

I'm excited to get to know you all!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Population Bomb!

Welcome aboard, Will, Whet and June.

Pleasure meeting all of you. I just joined yesterday, myself. I found the lounge by accident, and I finally think I've found a place where I don't feel like an outcast.

I've never dressed vintage, but I plan to soon. Probably start with a hat and shoes and work in from there. I've always loved the styles of the Golden Era: clothes, hair, cars and everything. After I get the clothing settled, I guess I'll have to trade in the '67 Chrysler for an older model. :D

Lee

Lou-Lou

New in Town
Hi y'all! I'm a gal living in Sweden, all crazy about the 40's and 50's. When I'm not in school (I will, thank God, graduate this summer...) I work in a little second hand shop in Stockholm with clothes from the early 1900's to the 1950's - which suits me just fine as I absolutely adore the fashion from the past.
In my freetime I love to hang out with dear friends that share my interests and just dance the night away (preferably jive, but swing will do too!). The fact that I only wear vintage clothes and hair-dos some people find weird - but that's life!

Well, enough about me. Wish you all a great day!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well good cheese and gravy, look at all these new gals!

Welcome ladies, please look around read and post post post. We have a very active and vibrant forum here, and we are glad to have you all apart of it!

Take a look around the FAQ, and if you are feeling adventurous, step out side the Powder Room once and a while. There is super content all over the board, and the fellow members are kind souls as well.

So enjoy, have fun and make tons more girlfriends. Any questions, thats what us bartenders are for. Just drop us a PM (once you hit 15 posts ;) ).

Again, welcome ladies, and see you around the lounge.

LD

Esther May

New in Town
Hey gals, I would like to formally introduce myself. My name is Esther and I currently reside in Miami, Fl. I am 21 years young and I am about to get my associates in elementary education. I plan to work at the public school system for a bit while trying to get my master's in child psychology. I'm an avid vintage junkie always trying to score some gems in my local boutiques and I am interested in the 1930s-1950s. I love fashion and beauty rituals so I thought this was the best site to chat up with gals like you!:)

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Hello & welcome to all,

I have not always understood history so well but have always been in love with things from the past. Arts & crafts, nouveau, deco, modernist, mid-century, retro, you name it but not really loyal to any one era - just whatever works. Up until recently I mainly focused on books, furnishings and art (not that what I have is any great shakes) but after a while I noticed all of my hair, beauty and sewing searches kept leading me to the fedora lounge and knew it was time to join. I would say my style is vintage-inspired classic (I’m a Capricorn if that makes any sense – perhaps too much?). Really looking forward to chatting with everyone more.

P.

ps. I already know this place is going to bad for my wallet… Since I’ve joined, I have already added 3 new lipsticks to my arsenal and have way too many necklaces in my ebay watch box among other things. But I guess I’m willing to suffer ;)

cemetarian

Vendor
OMG! I'm dying laughing here...........I was simply being silly, when I said what I did about my avatar...........I had no idea that there was anyone who didn't know Rita Hayworth. Especially fans of the 40's. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings........LOL.

I guess I'm real close to her for 2 reasons........One) I was born just before she married the Ali Kahn and my Dad was a big fan and insisted I be named for her cause I had red hair and 2) she died in 1987 of Alzeheimers which my mother suffers from.

For those of you how haven't seen Gilda (not Rita's BEST work) ya really need to go rent it............she is simply gorgeous and when you see it you will understand why she was one of the top pin up stars of the WWII era.

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
Hello everyone~ I just joined a few days ago after lurking for many many months, and I finally decided to join and not be creepy. XD I'm a 14 year old girl from Boise, Idaho. I'm more into Victorian fashion and such, but that led to the 20's, which led to the 30's, which led to the 40's, and so on, and I just adore all of it. I have no vintage clothing (Yet!) but I dress in Gothic Lolita. Think of a Victorian doll, but only in black and white. Anyway, I'm very -very- morbid so you'll all have to put up with me XD
Right now my favorite decade has to be the 20's, as I'm hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Clara Bow. I've been told I looked like her, which spawned my obsession.

Enough rambling, for now. I'm off to go de-lurk elsewhere in the forums!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael