Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

sadayo

New in Town

I've enjoyed browsing the forum for some time, but have been missing out on putting my two cents in. I've appreciated the fashion and music of the 40's and 50's for as long as I can remember. Buying a classic car was what cynched it for me. So now my fashion says a lot about what interests me. Although it's nice to dress up now and then, you'll most likely see me in capris and flats or cuffed jeans and converse all-stars with my hair swept up in victory rolls.
-Sarah

mrwilmoth

Familiar Face
Hello All

Hello everyone, Im a newbie her and just would like to introduce myself. its nice to find a forum where people have some class!

matt

RickNZ

New in Town
Hiya all

Rick here from New Zealand. I've been reading a lot of stuff on this site since I got my first hat for a 1920s themed party and couldn't stop wearing it afterwards.

RickNZ

New in Town
I have a lot of family down in Wellington and Masterton so I go driving through there quite often. Awesome part of the country. Just gotta get down to the South island to get some touring done.

-Rick

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
RickNZ said:
I have a lot of family down in Wellington and Masterton so I go driving through there quite often. Awesome part of the country. Just gotta get down to the South island to get some touring done.

-Rick
We were back in NZ last March and did lots of West Coast and Milford and Doubtful Sounds.. Te Anau etc etc.. great fun.. and spent quite a while in the Coromandel.. Hot Water beach is amazing

Catarina

New in Town
Hi Ladies!

I found the Lounge some time ago, while looking for some vintage styles that would suit my long hair. i've been lurking about since, until i read the topics about vintage patterns ("wait... i'm not the only addict?!?") and decided to stop being shy and join the fun :D
my grandmother was one of those women who wore dior, had a closet just for shoes and knew the french names for the furniture - she was a very stylish lady. as a little girl, me and my mom would tease her all the time, but i've grown into quite the mini-me of my grandma lol except she was a very proper person, and proper i am not :D i've always liked vintage styles and to "dress up" but after her death i think i feel a little bit closer to her, a little more "in her world" when i am immersed in the past.
and... that's my story :)

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
First post and introduction

Hello all,

I didn't see a beginners forum so I hope this is in the right place. I've been a lurker on this forum for about a month now and I wanted to finally come on board and say hello.

I am 24 years old and I have always admired the male fashion of the 1940's. I can remember watching Indiana Jones and Batman: the Animated Series when I was a kid, and thinking: "I can't wait until I grow up and get to dress like that!" Imagine my disappointment when I grew up and discovered what adults actually wear!

I wore a gray Bailey fedora for some time in college but because I was then clueless about general fashion, I am afraid it ended up looking a bit mismatched with my jeans and t-shirts. I stopped wearing a proper hat after college but lately I've been jonesing to get back into it, doing it right this time.

I currently live and work in Indianapolis but I am trying to move to Chicago in the near future. I can't think of anything better than strolling down Michigan Avenue in fedora and overcoat!

Nice to meet you all,
Jeff

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me be the first to welcome you to our lounge, Insp Bumstead!

My salutation: "Peace be unto you stranger, enter and be not afraid. I have left the gate open and thou art welcome in our home. There is room in our house for all. We have swept the hearth and lighted the fire. The room is warm and cheerful and you will find comfort and rest within. The table is laid and the fruits of Life are spread before thee. The wine is here also, it sparkles in the light. We have set a chair for you where the sunbeams dance through the shade. Sit and rest and refresh your soul. Eat of the fruit and drink the wine. All, all is yours, and you are welcome."

-Dixon Cannon

TheRedHead

New in Town
HELLO!

Hi all, as many ladies have stated already, I found the site while searching for stuff on vintage style and I'm so glad I did! I'm an art graduate born and still living in my home town in rural Ireland. Like Nico I now stay at home with my children, I also mind some children and teach art from home and I do miss having to get dressed up for work, so lately I've started 'dressing up' all the time! I don't know if you can call it dressing up, I've come up with a uniform and I'm sticking with it, mostly a black calf length skirt and a variety of fitted jumpers (I'm also 30 weeks pregnant so the fact that they are fitted is not really a choice!). I've been getting lots of nice comments and I feel so much better about myself in a skirt and a little make up! I'm into 40's and 50's style, as an art student i dressed in vintage and wore the odd corset and I'm hoping to get back to them after the birth! (thats for another post!) Any way, Thanks for reading

MissMinoes

New in Town
All this time I thought: how to join the Fedora Lounge, I don't have a suitable e-mailadress, what a pity :(
But then there was a day I realised I'm a student so I have a emailadress from school! Hurray! :D So, finally, I am now a happy member.
There is so much to learn about the vintage/golden era lifestyle, and I know so little... Good there is a place to read and talk. Hopefully I will learn a lot from all of you girls.

A little about me: I'm a 21-year-old girl from the Netherlands (that explains the poor English), student at art academy to become a teacher in fine arts.
My favourite era are the 40s but I like the 20s, 30s and 50s too. I try to dress up as much as I can, but sometimes it's not that easy in this country. Everybody wears jeans and sweaters and ugly sneakers...

Well, that was it, I think.
:)

cromcruiach

New in Town
Hey all! I have to admit that it was only upon discovering The Fedora Lounge that I realized just how deeply I am into the Golden Age. From Duke Ellington to Cary Grant, Dashiell Hammett to Errol Flynn, The Marx Brothers to The Shadow, it suddenly hit me how much I love the books, movies, fashion, and music of the Thirties and Forties.

I just recently bought my first real hat. I ride horses and wanted something to set me apart from the Stetsons and Resistols favored by the western riders (I prefer English/Continental -- usually I'm sporting a hunt cap). So, I ended up with a Herbert Johnson Poet in Indy style, though I believe I look more like George Reeves's Clark Kent in it.

Well, that's all for this, my second post. Glad to be here . . .

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Pleasure to meet you all! Although I don't get around to posting often, I've been a reader of FL for some time and feel very much at home here (found it while Googling '30's makeup tips).

My day job involves knowing/predicting current pop culture trends, so my love of all things 20's-'40's likely sprung from needing a respite from all things "trendy". Since my job "security" depends on appearing to live the trendy lifestyle I promote, aiside from close friends who have been to my home and seen the evidence, most of my coworkers have no idea of my double life. But, as those who love noir can attest, a little mystery is a good thing.

My favorite era is the 30's, and when I research my purchases, most of the items tend to end up being from 1936-38, with an occasional '27 or '40 thrown in. Living somewhat dangerously, I collect depression era glassware despite living in Earthquake country. And I have a thing for Cary Grant.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Insp. Bumstead said:
Hello all, ...

I wore a gray Bailey fedora for some time in college but because I was then clueless about general fashion, I am afraid it ended up looking a bit mismatched with my jeans and t-shirts. I stopped wearing a proper hat after college but lately I've been jonesing to get back into it, doing it right this time.

I currently live and work in Indianapolis but I am trying to move to Chicago in the near future. I can't think of anything better than strolling down Michigan Avenue in fedora and overcoat!

Nice to meet you all,
Jeff

Welcome aboard, Jeff! And the same to all the other new folks!

Jeff, I wore an Army field jacket, bell-bottom jeans, chambray worshirts, and a wide-brimmed, flat-top black Western hat for much of my college career at William & Mary. While not exactly normal in the late 60's, it wasn't unusual considering what was going down on campuses across the US. I also found out what adults wore once I spent some time in the military and the real world. The best thing is, you can always go back and it gets easier as time goes by. I even remember walking down Michigan Avenue in the early 90's wearing a Mark Shale topcoat and a Borsalino fedora one Christmas Eve. It was snowing and it was magical. Just remember to have a woman you love by your side. ;) :)

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Hola!

My name is Brody, but my nom de plume would be B. F. Socaspi, and I think that works better here (something about "Brody" just seems too childish and takes away from the suaveness I associate the Golden Era with).

I've only just recently -- May -- started looking for vintage clothing, though I've been a fan of the times for as long as I can remember. I've been using this forum as a database for quite some time, but just decided to make an account.

I enjoy writing (short stories, poems and essays), reading (Bukowski, Kafka, Sartre, Camus, Miller, Kerouac, etc etc) and discourse (oft political). Musically I range from Dylan and Phil Ochs to the Gorilla Biscuits, while hitting the crooners, jazz artists, and Romantic composers along the way.

I hope this is the first of many posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran