Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now the waiting

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
After all the comments on Miller straw hats I decided to order one up.

The "Dunmore"
080.jpg

Perfect for my trip to Mexico.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the "Logan"

BigSleep said:
After all the comments on Miller straw hats I decided to order one up.
Perfect for my trip to Mexico.
as well as a plain bleached number w/ a 1.25" black band & 2.5" brim... kinda "classic Panama"
I got the bleached first, then the Logan for a July b'day.

I gotta say I was shocked at how stiff the 'colored' Logan was...really it was rather reminiscent of a wicker trunk from pier 1 :eek: ... I was somewhat taken aback, honestly. In a month it has loosened up some & a little of the shine has come off, but when I do it again, I will stay with bleached, it is SO much lighter and more of a pleasure to wear. I just wanted to prepare you, I don't know what is used to give these the artificial patina, but it really screws w/ the texture, I like the Logan, but they are two different hats

Dixon Cannon

BS - That's Bee-utiful!!

BigSleep said:
After all the comments on Miller straw hats I decided to order one up "The "Dunmore"
080.jpg

I've been looking for a good lookin' straw hat for the Sonoran Summers down here. That "Dunmore" is beautiful! Did you buy that online, eBay?... I suddenly need one!

Show us a pic of the lid on your noggin', will ya!!?

-dixon cannon

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
I've been looking for a good lookin' straw hat for the Sonoran Summers down here. That "Dunmore" is beautiful! Did you buy that online, eBay?... I suddenly need one!

Show us a pic of the lid on your noggin', will ya!!?

-dixon cannon

I just ordered it on line from Miller Hats.

I'll post pics of it on my noggin when it comes in.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I bought one to just try out... The hat is all Laqured up and is hot as a sauna on my head. I kept it but that was a mistake...I'll stick with Cuenca they are cheaper or a Montecristi...I know they are not real
382.jpg
straw cause I called Biltmore.

Dixon Cannon

Who's Roger when he's at home???....

besdor said:
Stay away fromthe milan straws Roger . They dont breathe and are heavy . ome are made vented like the Stetsons but they are not the best hats. Steven

Hi Steven,
... and what's a "milan"? Are you referencing the above mentioned Miller?

-dixon cannon

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about yours but mine was made of woven paper. The hats that use Laquer are very hot and thats just a fact. Looking at yours it looks like it has Laquer...

Here is some info...

Since the first use of Shantung (aka Shantung Panama) to make hats, the material remains widely a mystery. Many people believe that shantung hats are made of natural straw. It is actually made out of a high performance paper which is rolled into a yarn to imitate straw. Furthermore, many people believe that shantung paper yarn is made out of rice paper. Rice paper is actually a misnomer. Currently, there are no papers being made out of rice. Although, for the size papers made out of Kozo, Gampi and Mitsumata, rice starch was traditionally used. (This is probabaly where the name "rice paper" comes from.) Kozo, Gampi and Mitsumata were originally used to make the high performance paper. The paper was named "Washi" by the Japanese who perfected the technique in 610 AD after Korean Buddhist monks learned the Chinese technique and introduced it to Japan. (The Chinese invented the technique of making this paper during the first century.)

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the heads up Sharp.

I went back and looked at the specs again. The hat I ordered is made of "Panama Straw" not the "Milan Straw" which is what the one you posted is made from.
So, I hope that may make a difference.

We'll see.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
What's Wrong with a Milan?

I actually prefer the Milan Straw. It's heavier, yes, but I find it breathes very well. I got mine from Miller, so I know that there's are good. Now, I won't say that a Milan will beat a real panama hat in breathability, but it does the job if you can't rope the panama (I couldn't).
NB

squid

One of the Regulars
BigSleep said:
New Montecristi on its way from Panama Bob!
Thanks for the advice Sharpy.

I suspect you will be very happy. When I bought a Montecristi I stopped looking at 99% of straw hats.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, I just looked at that one a few minutes ago...:eusa_clap

I passed on it simply because of the cleaning factor for the (what appears to be) water splotch in the center of the crown. It may look worse inthe photo than it does in person...

I hope it's a happy transaction; it's goos to see any old goodies -especially Borso's - go to Loungers...

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
P.S.

Hey, Squid...

Do you and funneman (you too, sharpetoys) ever get the double take seeing "FL" (Fedora Lounge) instead of "FL" (Florida)?...just me, I guess...
:eek:fftopic:

squid

One of the Regulars
PutALidOnIt said:
Hey, Squid...

Do you and funneman (you too, sharpetoys) ever get the double take seeing "FL" (Fedora Lounge) instead of "FL" (Florida)?...just me, I guess...
:eek:fftopic:

Yes. Sometimes I still wonder which one a person is talking about.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
....and about the hat - you're gonna sweat in it anyway, right??? Even in the chilly northern wasteland of the panhandle (only 89 degrees?)...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24