Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Oviatt

New in Town
I just bought a Stetson Center Dent for summer and I must say that it is a great hat for the price.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oviatt said:
I just bought a Stetson Center Dent for summer and I must say that it is a great hat for the price.

Love em!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
And No Waves

Oviatt said:

My Stetson Center Dent, after 3 years of regular use, still has snap in it's Snap Brim :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
And since I don't look like Sean, Thats a Good thing ;)

Goose.

Practically Family
Gentlemen...

Thinking of getting a Panama from Panama Bob. It would be in the Cuatro or Medio Montecristi bucks range. Something I could wear around while at the beach or doing yard work. A hat to wear(out).

Here's what I'm stumped on...

Currently, I have five Panamas. One Cuenca Stetson Center Dent, three from Brent Black, and my most recent, a Fuji.

However, I am looking for a Panama that closely resembles what I have done with my Akubra Federations. Looking at Panama Bob's site, I cannot tell if a "Rio Plata" or a "Caballero" is closer to what I'd like. Am thinking that the Caballero is closer. But not certain based on the web pic.

Does anyone know the brim widths of each? Crown height?

Here's the "look" I'm after...4.25" at the front pinch, 3.5" rear, 2 7/8" brim. Doesn't have to be an exact match, but here's pics for reference:

557338698_qXgKA-M-1.jpg
514228783_3KHii-S.jpg
555346336_nPcA7-M-1.jpg

Know that I could email PB, but I'm certain he gets lots of mail and maybe someone here knows anyway (with pics?).

Also, how long does it usually take to get a hat from PB?

Thanks in advance.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Goose. PB will mail you back with a reply on what you want so quick you will jump out of your Fuji panama! (He is the quickest responder of any mail I`ve ever sent, and it`s a different time zone!) Measure up your Akubra, and tell him the dimensions. The wait...just long enough to appreciate it; just short enough to realise its all made by hand...Good choice!

WineGuy

A-List Customer
The "Art" of buying a Panama hat...

Lesson number one: buy the best quality "unblocked" and "unfinshed" Montecristi you can afford THEN give it to Art Fawcett for finishing.

I know this is not news to the mavens on this thread, but I just had an epiphany. I purchased a beautiful finished Montecristi Fino from Panama Bob but it immediately warped and went wavy on my head. After a month of screwing around with an iron and steam I could not tame the beast. I had just completed the "conformer" stage with Art for a felt he's going to build me soon so I sent him the Panama. Art suggested a new sweatband and I figured at this point I might as well have him fabricate a hat band that would stand out in my wineshop.

Just got the hat back an hour ago, fits like a glove, no waves and the bands are perfect....Art, you are the greatest!!!!!!

4.jpg

VSPBside.jpg

VSPBbowdetail.jpg

EHhedvspb.jpg

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
Lesson number one: buy the best quality "unblocked" and "unfinshed" Montecristi you can afford THEN give it to Art Fawcett for finishing.

Just got the hat back an hour ago, fits like a glove, no waves and the bands are perfect....Art, you are the greatest!!!!!!

4.jpg

Hey WineGuy,

Great hat! Just perfect. I absolutely love the band, much better than the old one...:eusa_clap

JL.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Additional thought...

In case I was misunderstood...I love the hats I have gotten from Panama Bob, he is the real deal and I plan to buy more from him. My epiphany was that buying an unfinished hat from PB instead, and giving it to Art to finish is like commissioning a pair of taylor's to custom make and fit a suit for a perfect individual fit as compared to buying a top brand suit off the rack.

Goose.

Practically Family

Gene and DaizawaGuy...
Thank you for your posts regarding, what I hope to be, my next Panama.

I ended up emailing Panama Bob Thursday evening and he replied first thing Friday with a couple of pics. The one pic of the Montecristi Gus Miller was "it" for me. Wrote back asking for pricing and lead time for delivery...so I'm guessing I'll hear back early in the coming week.

Today, I wore a Brent Black Montecristo Fino. It was nice to wear after so long. Two things I learned though...the first being that I am not going to grow a full beard as I'd been thinking. The second, the hat is too small for me now.

What a bummer. Bought it about 10-11 years ago. That was back in my corporate flat-top hair cut days...and maybe my head has just gotten bigger while the hat shrunk a bit in time...the two particles collided...BAM! Doesn't fit :(

Has the "Panama Hat Company of the Pacific" "Honolulu, Hawaii" stamp in the band that I think is great. But so bummed it is just too tight now.

Oh well, was still nice to pull it out of the box and wear an old friend...

601625553_wawj8-S.jpg
458669731_ZvuBb-S-1.jpg

Edit Note: This post is not an attempt to offload the hat. No plans on letting it go. Heck, in fact, if anyone has a tip or two on a "safe" way to push it out a size, that would be appreciated. My concern is the whole law of physics gig...push out the diameter for head size = lose some crown height

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Re: sizing hat

Hey Goose, I purchased a vintage hat stretcher on ebay and found that by liberally applying some Lexol leather conditioner to the sweatband and then steaming the hat with an iron and then placing the stretcher in the hat and leaving to stand 24hrs opens the hat up without distorting the crown.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WineGuy said:
Hey Goose, I purchased a vintage hat stretcher on ebay and found that by liberally applying some Lexol leather conditioner to the sweatband and then steaming the hat with an iron and then placing the stretcher in the hat and leaving to stand 24hrs opens the hat up without distorting the crown.

Whoa Slow down with the Lexol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could eat right through the older sweatband:eek: ...(there is an extensive thread on this) I use Lexol on my boots. Also, for a Montecristi getting a Pro may be the RX for this situation. [bad]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner