Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pics of Your Cafe Racer Jackets

Peacoat

Bartender
IMO the best format for showing pictures here is to click "Upload a File" and download generally a thumbnail of a pic from my computer or IPhone rather than to use a website URL. I do frequently have to downsize pictures by copy/paste on my desktop, then downsize before uploading. I rarely, if ever, use Photobucket anymore as I have found it to be not particularly user friendly and loaded with potential viruses, etc.
Interesting that you said that. I caught the only virus I have ever had from the Photobucket site. I logged into the site, and didn't click on anything on the page, but immediately caught the virus.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Since price is being discussed here, along with people's perception/appreciation of styles and qualites of leather jackets in general, I'll take a run at a soapbox theory and hope that I don't get chastised too much for it.

For US folks at least, the demise of Wilson's Leathers to just outlet malls only (and nearly extinct altogether even there) has done the following:
  • Demand for and sales of leather jackets had dropped of signifigantly
  • Exposure to leather jackets (at least mall types and lower-end M/C jackets) has also dropped.
  • Corresponding "demand" for leather jackets in Big Box stores (Sears, Von Mar, JC Penny's) has also dropped.
  • However "niche" style jackets in unique styles in Boutique stores has slowly risen.
Wilsons was formerly called Berman's here in the states, and it was a popular chain in most malls in the US selling cheap to moderate quality jackets primarily sourced out of India, Pakastain and China. At least it brought exposure and back in the 80's and 90's when this chain was popular you saw a lot more people walking around wearing leather on thier back, even if it was bonded leather. I even owned a couple of thier jackets but they always seemed to be focused upon the "fast sale" and it was tough to establish what the real price was. And the sleeves never seemed to fit me -- to short. However $250 - 300 was thier top end. They lured you into a store with a $99.00 offer and you usually wound up spending $225 for something "decent." Maybe we ought to do a thread "Show us your Wilson's Leathers..."

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Wow man. Wow. That is awesome! Who the F' is Mr. Freedom?? Got to be Japanese? That jacket is killlllleeerrrr!!!!!!
That jacket NEEDS its own thread!
That's a Brand originated by Christophe Loiron, a french expatriate guy, who runs his buziness in LA. He's one of the most talented and original vintage style garments maker (along with Rising Sun, Himel, Real McCoys, ...)
You'll find Infos here: http://www.misterfreedom.com/ or http://www.christopheloiron.com/

Rbm83

New in Town
Hi there!
I'm new here in Fedora Lounge. You guys have posted a lot of pictures of beautiful jackets (and motorcycles)! Congratulations for your items. Wear them with pride!
I'm became addicted to leather jackets just this year. Looking for pictures and videos of jackets on internet, soon I came across with the "Cafe racer" style and it was love at first sight!
This is my first Cafe racer jacket. I buyed for $30 from a Canadian seller on Ebay. The zippers of the pockets were in terrible condition. I did remove them as soon as the jacket arrived. The vendor listed as vintage from 1970's. It's a brown chocolate color, it has a talon zipper but the liner is missing, so, I don't know who manufactured it.
If any of you could give me some information, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!

cr01.jpg
cr02.jpg
cr03.jpg

Welcome to the forum! That's a weird one. . . I mean, comparatively. What Ton says, this was a very common and popular take on the CR style in the 70's but I've never seen one quite like it. The wind flap thing is the same as on the Brimaco's but no way it's them. It's really nice!

Rbm83

New in Town
Thanks to Ton312 & Monitor for your answers.
I've noticed that Brooks stamps their logo in the snap buttom of the collar. This snap button is flat. It may be a jacket produced by any of the other brands.

That's a good looking jacket, Ton!

Thanks to Ton312 & Monitor for your answers.
I've noticed that Brooks stamps their logo in the snap buttom of the collar. This snap button is flat. It may be a jacket produced by any of the other brands.

That's a good looking jacket, Ton!
Thanks Rbm83. And welcome to the lounge!

I think it's Brooks or Schott. Zip out liner was their thing and Brooks would sometimes keep the action back half sewn in like that.

Rbm83

New in Town
HossierDaddy and Mike D. Beatiful jackets!! That motorcycle is such a good looking ride. :)

I have a question!! There ís a small sized cafe racer on Ebay. But it has an Eagle in the back. Although, is a nice art, is not for my taste.
Do you guys think that drawing can be TOTALLY covered up if I try to dye the leather??
Excelled.jpg

I wouldn't mind to give it a try. But I would like to hear more experienced opinions.

Thanks!!!

HossierDaddy and Mike D. Beatiful jackets!! That motorcycle is such a good looking ride. :)

I have a question!! There ís a small sized cafe racer on Ebay. But it has an Eagle in the back. Although, is a nice art, is not for my taste.
Do you guys think that drawing can be TOTALLY covered up if I try to dye the leather?? View attachment 56794

I wouldn't mind to give it a try. But I would like to hear more experienced opinions.

Thanks!!!
I bet rubbing alcohol would take it off. You'd need to immediately condition the snot out of it right after. You'd definately lose some pigment this way and I've never seen a painted jacket that didn't leave a ghost of what was there, even tho what was there was indiscernible after being removed. There may well be a better way but I've used RA to get odd little paint specs off vintage leathers with great success for years. This is a large piece of art. Might be better to wait for something without it.

After another look the work involved probably makes it not worth the trouble. Looks like a fidelity CR from the back. They are super common. Wait for one in your size without the work required to make it right for you.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with Tony ^^^

These come up frequently, keep watching for them, and ideally find one well broke in but in your size. That way the hard work has been done for you. Lots of jackets getting posted this month as the nothern hemisphere is starting to cool off. I'll be posting a few too but not Cafe Racers this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21