Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Powder Room Pets?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is it like having a chinchilla as a pet? I am allergic to cats and can't have dogs in my apartment, and a chinchilla would be fun! I assume they don't have to be in a cage all day? Can they be litter box trained? Do you even do that with chinchillas??

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Tee hee hee hee

I posted the photo of my "old man" Dagmar. My children also have two cats and my mom has 2 dogs and this scary thing that calls itself a cat. This afternoon we came home and my little ones cat had her kittens. So far 3, one white, one grey, one black so far.

TaxiGirl

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What is it like having a chinchilla as a pet? I am allergic to cats and can't have dogs in my apartment, and a chinchilla would be fun! I assume they don't have to be in a cage all day? Can they be litter box trained? Do you even do that with chinchillas??

My husband and I both have mild cat/dog allergies and the chinchilla doesn't set them off at all. Their fur is so dense that they don't really have dander.They do bathe in dust, but that can be kept under control without too much trouble.

They generally stay in a cage but most people let them run for two or three hours a day in the evening. They do have a habit of chewing, so it's important to keep an eye on them around wooden furniture and such. They can't be litter trained, but while they poop fairly freely it's very dry and can be swept or vacuumed easily. And there's almost no smell associated with them.

A good place to learn more about chinchillas is Chins-n-quills: it's a pretty comprehensive message board. http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/

olive bleu

One Too Many
THE WORLD'S SWEETEST CAT

HERE IS OUR PRECIOUS BOBBY-THE-CAT, (A.K.A. "SIR ROBERT"):)

BOBBY.jpg

I LOVE IT THAT HE CLIMBED INTO THIS SHOEBOX THAT SAYS ,"COUGAR" rrrr

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I think that all of you have adorable pets!I think the choice of the cougar shoebox is classiclol .I have a pet goat named George.He is hilarious--my brother forgot to take the tag off of his new boots,but George was happy to oblige(he took it off in just one bite) !!! I can't describe him very well without him sounding really weird and I don't have a really good picture because he always tries to eat the cameralol I had a holland lop(bunny) named Butterscotch (Ironically her ears always stuck up,although she would very occasionally let one "lop").She was really something.My sister was on our couch eating birthday cake and Butterscotch jumped onto the couch,stuck her head in the bowl and started eating! I seem to get the animals that have mischief bred into them! I am glad because I have many happy memories and stories that I can share with others.:)

Daisy Buchanan

Olive your Sir Robert is very handsome! Isn't it funny how kitties love boxes. My cat Chameleon (Aka: Miely Cat) goes nuts every time she sees me come home with boxes from the post office she meows like crazy and follows me until I put the boxes down. She has a box that she got quite attached to that I can't throw out. It's next to the bed and it's kind of small for her larger size. But she manages to squeeze her chubby body into it. The box is starting to rip at the sides and is all warped. She is such a cute kitty. She has a few toys, all little stuffed mice that she "takes care of". She will carry them in her mouth to wherever she feels like they should be at that moment. While carrying them around she makes this yelping meowing noise, like she's talking to them. She usually brings them to her box or a bag that's in another room. She piles them up in her special place of choice and then sits on them. Sometimes before she sits on them she licks them, like she's cleaning a kitten. It's so sweet. She really does keep herself busy, carrying her mice all over the house. It's so cute, I'll leave the house and the mice will be in my bedroom. But when I come home all three of them will be downstairs by the front door. And she can't fit all three mice in her mouth at once, so I can just picture her going up the stairs, grabbing a mouse in her mouth, bringing it downstairs, and then going back up to get another. She is such a cute, very strange, very talkative cat. I guess you really have to meet Miely's to really see how strange she is.
Yesterday Hemingway Jones was eating a cookie. One of those really big Linzer cookies, the kind with the powdered sugar and jam in the middle. The cookie was on a paper towel on his bed. Anyway, he's using his computer and not really paying attention to the cookie. He suddenly hears a funny little crunching noise. He looks down to see Miely cat with the giant cookie in her mouth!!! She had jam and powdered sugar all over her face! She was holding the cookie in her paws and opening her mouth really wide so she could use her back molars to bite into the cookie. It was sooo funny. I was wishing that I had a video camera so I could get her in action.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
Olive your Sir Robert is very handsome! Isn't it funny how kitties love boxes. My cat Chameleon (Aka: Miely Cat) goes nuts every time she sees me come home with boxes from the post office she meows like crazy and follows me until I put the boxes down. She has a box that she got quite attached to that I can't throw out. It's next to the bed and it's kind of small for her larger size. But she manages to squeeze her chubby body into it. The box is starting to rip at the sides and is all warped. She is such a cute kitty. She has a few toys, all little stuffed mice that she "takes care of". She will carry them in her mouth to wherever she feels like they should be at that moment. While carrying them around she makes this yelping meowing noise, like she's talking to them. She usually brings them to her box or a bag that's in another room. She piles them up in her special place of choice and then sits on them. Sometimes before she sits on them she licks them, like she's cleaning a kitten. It's so sweet. She really does keep herself busy, carrying her mice all over the house. It's so cute, I'll leave the house and the mice will be in my bedroom. But when I come home all three of them will be downstairs by the front door. And she can't fit all three mice in her mouth at once, so I can just picture her going up the stairs, grabbing a mouse in her mouth, bringing it downstairs, and then going back up to get another. She is such a cute, very strange, very talkative cat. I guess you really have to meet Miely's to really see how strange she is.
Yesterday Hemingway Jones was eating a cookie. One of those really big Linzer cookies, the kind with the powdered sugar and jam in the middle. The cookie was on a paper towel on his bed. Anyway, he's using his computer and not really paying attention to the cookie. He suddenly hears a funny little crunching noise. He looks down to see Miely cat with the giant cookie in her mouth!!! She had jam and powdered sugar all over her face! She was holding the cookie in her paws and opening her mouth really wide so she could use her back molars to bite into the cookie. It was sooo funny. I was wishing that I had a video camera so I could get her in action.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

*dies from cute*

olive bleu

One Too Many
Daisy, I am just swooning! That is adorable!!Cats crack me up, I love them so much, i can't imagine my life without one.I think someday I am in serious danger of becoming the proverbial crazy cat lady.

MY Bobby has a thing for strawberry yogurt.No idea why. any other yogurt doesn;t get a second glance, but if i am eating strawberry yogurt he will harrass me.And i mean he will climb on my lap, the arm of the chair, on the back of the chair ....he's been known to stick his head right in the container while i am eating it, or even lick my lips...of course, Sir Robert always wins.:)

TaxiGirl

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:

Oh, just imagining that picture one could die from laughing!

Harpo the chinchilla has a serious fondness for molasses cookies, and also chocolate. (Neither of which he should have.)

At one point, while he was running around, he got into a cookie box and took one of those Archway molases cookies that are about four inches across? He then tried to run away with it, but it was bigger than the distance between his mouth and the floor, so it would keep throwing his running off. You could just see him getting frustrated, like he was thinking "I have a cookie! But I have to take the cookie and hide it, or they will take it back from me! But the cookie does not want to come with me!"

Another time I was eating a chocolate bar and he jumped into my lab, reached up, and started trying to take it away from me. He was REALLY serious about this... he got both front paws and his mouth into it. You couldn't pry him loose.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Don't mean to intrude Ladies, but as an animal lover I couldn't resist peeking at the pictures and stories of your beloved pets.
Here's mine, Samantha, Grey Tortie Maine Coon Cat. She loves to help her Papa read the mourning paper. Bob.
435185246_f7fa14cc79.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
AWWWW.......oosie, doosie,who's the precious kitty, witty!!!!!! wouldn't i love to get my hands on you!!!!

My sister has a Maine Coone....I just want to kiss it to death:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy