Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think blue and brown are great when they're the right shades. A navy suit and russet brown or cordovan/burgundy shoes looks right to my eyes.

much of a contrast it appears mismatched

I find the opposite. Too little contrast, and it appears that the wearer was trying to match and failed. Like two almost matching (but not quite) shades of gray look bad, but a light gray and dark gray look great.

Ghos7a55assin said:
I think blue and brown are great when they're the right shades. A navy suit and russet brown shoes looks right to my eyes.

I find the opposite. Too little contrast, and it appears that the wearer was trying to match and failed. Like two almost matching (but not quite) shades of gray look bad, but a light gray and dark gray look great.

Like I said, wear what you like as long as I don't have to. ;)
The gray example is ok with me though. Light and dark shades of the same color work just fine.
Perhaps the brown and blues remind me of the uniforms the people wear at Albertson's grocery stores out here and Blockbuster video. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Ghos7a55assin said:

I used to spend quite a bit of time in this quagmire - part of the problem of a limited wardrobe and a vintage market full of orphaned trousers and jackets! The combo looks good in the house, then when you step out into natural light you realise the shades don't quite match. :rage: Of course this happens when you're far enough from home that you can't make it back to change. :rage:

Now i just stick with light and dark contrast. Solid black jacket with black and white glen plaid trousers works quite well ...

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Yeah- it's the worst when you have a dark,dark navy jacket/blazer and black pants. It looks alright with the flourescent lights, but when that setting sun hits ya- phew. Almost as bad as mismatched socks.
I have this problem with a pair of brown corduroys (sp?) as well. It looks very flat under indoor lighting, like a matte caramel color. Once you step out the door, though, it becomes this deep chocolate brown. (All this talk about candy is getting my sweet tooth riled up) Trouble is, I'm usually dressing in the wee hours of the morning before the sun has come up, so I usually don't know what I look like until after my 1st period class.

Ghos7a55assin said:
Trouble is, I'm usually dressing in the wee hours of the morning before the sun has come up, so I usually don't know what I look like until after my 1st period class.

Good Lord, what are the Taiwanese authorities doing to their students? Wee hours of the morning to go to high school? Man, i never dragged myself out of bed before 0830 to go to high school (admittedly i lived but 50 yards or so away). First period started at 0915. School day ended at 1545. Them were the days.

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Haha! Funny part is that I go to the "Taipei American School". White American diplomats and soldiers used to send their kids here when they were stationed in Taiwan after the Japanese were kicked out. Nowadays, it's about 80% Asian, 20% White. We start school at 7:45 AM. That usually means me waking up at 6:45, which ends up being 7:15 thanks to the invention of the "snooze button". Sun doesn't kick into full gear here until 8.
When I was living in New York, high school started at 8:15.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
I think blue and brown are great when they're the right shades. A navy suit and russet brown shoes looks right to my eyes.

Ah, the ol' brown and blue mix. I'm with Ray on this that the shades of both are important. Say, you have a rich blue suit, black shoes are always good, so are white bucks I feel. But to make that blue really pop, I go with a nice pair of red/brown 40's cap toes! They look gooooood! I never wear a dark brown fedora with a blue suit, nah, not my cup but I do like a nice light brown with a little red in it with a blue suit. Or, a light blue suit with a dark brown tie! That's sharp too.

In the 30's -40's brown and blue was a common mix. Not so much today because most pair blue with dark olive which is passed off as brown. I hate this! It's the same shade as fresh horse apples! It's not brown, it's Olive Green people! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Ah, the ol' brown and blue mix. I'm with Ray on this that the shades of both are important. Say, you have a rich blue suit, black shoes are always good, so are white bucks I feel.

I try to follow the old theory of brown means casual and black means business, so if I wear a suit to most of my daytime occassions, including school (not that school shouldn't be formal, but since everyone else is dressed down, why shouldn't I be?) I'll be wearing brown shoes. If it's an evening thing, I'll wear black.

I've also come upon a nasty habit. I match my suspender loops with my shoes. That leather part of the braces is usually black or brown, and I feel strange if I wear brown-leather on the top and black on the bottom. This is null and void if I'm wearing a waistcoat, though.

Wild Root said:
In the 30's -40's brown and blue was a common mix. Not so much today because most pair blue with dark olive which is passed off as brown. I hate this! It's the same shade as fresh horse apples! It's not brown, it's Olive Green people! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

=WR=

Yeah sure but post some of those pictures of what you mean. They actually do go together because of the red hues in the brown. That is different. :p
The blue suit with the brown tie is not a brown tie. It looks red. :cool2:
I know what you mean about the blue and olive. Eww! That is like the Albertson's example but they have no choice what to wear if they work there. They are being paid to look that way. :p

Regards to all,

J

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Checks, stripes, houndstooth

You guys inspired me! I have a pair of brown pants with red pinstripes I've had a hard time coordinating with a jacket. So last night, I tried it with a red and black checked (with yellow flecks) jacket and a red/gold scarf with 1" wide black houndstooths. To my amazement, it all went together.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Moment of Truth

2930127970085301564nYkEiS_ph.jpg

I guess now I can find out if I've made a good combination or a faux pas!

I actually liked this outfit better with my navy jacket, but the jacket needed repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass