Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P.Paul Newman 1925-2008

Feraud

Bartender
This post can be merged into the obit thread we have around here somewhere..

Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83 3 minutes ago

Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died. He was 83.

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie."

(This version CORRECTS Newman's age to 83, sted 93)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927...8&printer=1;_ylt=Ao1LvS5Mgfmq1pe3MpLnBTtY24cA

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
This is the first time I can remember that I've been genuinely upset over an actor's death. I'm surprised at my own reaction, but given this man's great talent and generosity, maybe not so surprising. R.I.P.

Just some random thoughts: My grandmother was a great Paul Newman fan. I remember her talking with my cousin when Newman was in town filming Absence of Malice and her excitement of actually seeing him (albeit from a great distance) at the film shoot. Later the next year when the "grown ups" all went out with anticipation to see Newman in The Verdict, it all was so "adult" to me, but Newman was a household name in our family. It wouldn't be until I became an adult that I could truly appreciate Newman's gifts as an actor and the interesting (if not always successful) roles he chose during the 1980s and 1990s.

My favorite Paul Newman roles (Absence of Malice, Cool Hand Luke, Nobody's Fool) are the ones where he's a flawed man at odds with the world, while at the same time possessing an appealing vulnerability.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Paul Newman was a fine actor and an even finer gentleman. We are made poorer by his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
This hit me like a blow to the gut. Paul Newman was a significant screen presence as far back as I recall: I vividly remember seeing his mid-60s films - Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy, etc. - in theaters when I was a teenager.

As much as he was always regarded one of the "new generation" actors of the fifties, he had that old-time star charisma in spades. He was always the character, yet also always Paul Newman. And I'm hard-pressed to think of a performance of his that was anything less than dead-on. Also, he always came across as an unaffected, ordinary guy who just happened be incredibly handsome and a fine actor - and someone who genuinely cared about doing his bit to improve the world.

We talk a lot about losing Hollywood giants around here, but term is totally justified in Newman's case.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
RIP :(

theSting-1.jpg

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
NEWMAN

Paul Newman an actor that gave solid performances
every time out :eusa_clap

Paul Newman one of the last actors that REALLY had
that old time Hollywood charisma :eusa_clap

Solid Citizen :(

PS Would be nice if some FL members would post
some color stills of Newman from "The Sting"?

carter

I'll Lock Up
He was an iconic figure and he knew how to wear a hat.

174268.jpg
butchcas.jpg
smyth_paul_newman.jpg

rtp-newman.jpg
RS138.jpg
061208-buffalobill.jpg

187741.jpg
061008-hud.jpg
256829.jpg
178980.jpg

Paul Newman has been a fact of life for so many of us for so long. As a man, a celebrity, an entrepreneur, an automobile racing enthusiast, a husband and faher, and as a humanitarian, his was a life of impressive breadth and depth. We may not soon see his equal.

Hondo

One Too Many
Butch Cassidy and the SunDance Kid in the theaters growing up.
Dos bandidos? my buddy and I always cracked up hearing that praise lol
He was awesome, sadly missed R I P :(

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Too bad. I heard about it on the news this morning.

I would assume TCM will be showing a bunch of his films next week.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I grew up watching Paul Newman. He was in a lot of TV dramas back in the early 50's, was so handsome and charismatic, I was not surprised when he made it big in Hollywood.

He made so many fine movies, I couldn't even tell you which one was my favorite or if I had a favorite: The Hustler, Hud, Exodus, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cool Hand Luke, and all those Tennessee Williams dramas he was in, especially Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

I've never seen The Sting, had to refrain from seeing all his movies so I would have something to watch in the future.

You know, not only did I love him as an actor, I also like his popcorn and salad dressing!

RIP, Paul

karol

ukali1066

Practically Family
A fine man and a fine expert of his craft, but it's his charitable works that I find especially touching....

And what a pair of eyes !.... I'm not gay... but damn that man was handsome

I'll leave the tribute to Robert Reford:

"There is a point where feelings go beyond words. I have lost a real friend. My life - and this country - is better for his being in it".

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I was so sad when I got home at 1230am this morning to read the breaking news on the net..........Ive always said that men like him should be immortal.

I first saw him in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, will still remains one of my top 10 movies today, and I have loved him ever since, his devotion to his wife and it being one of the longest Hollywood marriages, not to mention his charity work, was admirable.

RIP Paul :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn