Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Edward

Bartender
Mr. Wolf, I'll have to pack a set of scales as well...... I got stung for excess baggage in Beijing last year.... :mad:

Pablocham.... :eek: they cost that much? I adore the look of the Buzz Rickson line, but I'd be wanting to spend nearer $80 than $200 on a pair of trousers! I'll have to take a look at all the options.... For jeans, Prison Blues are on my hitlist, but it'd be nice to be able to buy basic khakis off the peg.... Hmmn, does The Gap do anything that would be close? The main problem I seem to find with modern cuts is the low waist....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
pablocham said:
Also, did anybody mention Carhartt, Pointer, Round House, and Key, who all make relatively cheap workwear that is pretty much the same as the old stuff?
Nope. 1 theory is that ultra-high priced or unobtanium goods have more than just a cachet about them. Especially if (as Buzz, LVC, etc.) they advertise high authenticity and detail.

Salv

One Too Many
Edward said:
Mr. Wolf, I'll have to pack a set of scales as well...... I got stung for excess baggage in Beijing last year.... :mad:

Pablocham.... :eek: they cost that much? I adore the look of the Buzz Rickson line, but I'd be wanting to spend nearer $80 than $200 on a pair of trousers! I'll have to take a look at all the options.... For jeans, Prison Blues are on my hitlist, but it'd be nice to be able to buy basic khakis off the peg.... Hmmn, does The Gap do anything that would be close? The main problem I seem to find with modern cuts is the low waist....

Did you try John Simon's yet for Bill's Khakis? And Gap in the UK occasionally have high waisted, loose fit, straight leg khakis in a fairly heavy cotton for £34 which are quite good.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
dakotanorth said:
Funny you should mention that, I always wondered if there is a market for vintage-styled coveralls, or something of that nature.

Jp
There is, and several companies make the herringbone twill "Fisher Cloth" coveralls that haven't changed since before the war. Below is a shot of two friends wearing them:

100_0446.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Since I heard a bump...

Lately I've been wearing the "Granite" trousers from REI. Good, heavyweight canvas weave, well constructed, not too high-waisted but lots of room in the leg for ease of movement and cooling in the Georgia climate, no flaps on the rear pockets (I find them more trouble than they're worth), zippered (!) watch pocket, and a cell phone pocket. Looks like they could have been 30's-40's workwear. Suits me very well and I'll be picking more up when they stock up on my size again.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Workwear Project

I was going through my basement last night and unearthed something very cool! In the early 90's I worked in a men's store that, for a brief time was selling vintagy workwear type stuff. Chore coats and bottoms in denim and canvas, etc. They were for fashion, not function. I bought some of it even though I didn't have the appreciation at that young age for that style as I do now.
Last night I found a pair of black corduroy pants that had supenders of the same material attatched. I cut off the suspenders, and now they look like this:
highrise_pic.gif

But not with a buckle-back (not yet anyway). My question for the experts out there: My pants have belt loops, and I'll wear a belt since I'm not a suspender kind of guy. Should I construct a buckle back with the left over material? I've done it before, so making one isn't the issue, but would it look "wrong" with the belt loops there, on pants that were obviously designed for suspenders?
I can post pictures of the actual pants tonight.

Feraud

Bartender
It would not look wrong to add a buckle back with the belt loops.
Make sure the rise is high enough so the belt back does not sit on your rear end.

flat-top

Well, jeans and regular pants have belt loops and buckle backs, but this style with the high back, screams suspenders. I may actually add donut suspender buttons to make them look more authentic. So are suspender buttons, loops and a buckleback overkill?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Buckle-back, suspender buttons and belt keepers...

I have some pants with all three but the Suspender buttons are on the inside.

When there are belt loops and buttons, I think the buttons are better inside.

Surely no space for all of 'em, anyway.

Just my opinion.

B
T

flat-top

BellyTank said:

But what about on the high back (fishtail)? Those are up and away from the rest. The Old Town ones are exposed, but of course there are no belt loops on those.

Feraud

Bartender
flat-top said:
But what about on the high back (fishtail)? Those are up and away from the rest. The Old Town ones are exposed, but of course there are no belt loops on those.
Is your concern that the high fishtail will flop w/out suspenders?

flat-top

Feraud said:
Is your concern that the high fishtail will flop w/out suspenders?
It doesn't flop! They fit perfectly snug enough that it sits perfectly.
I like suspenders, but not on me!
Actually, maybe metal buttons would weigh it down!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I personally think that a cinch-back and belt keepers together is a little crazy.
One or the other, ...or the other. I know, I know... Levis...
I also think, that wearing a functional belt(you may not plan on wearing one)
and a high, split trouser back, will make the high back misbehave.

But brace buttons on a high split back looks normal... buttons on the points of the fish tail.

Belt loops with a "split" high back is visually unattractive- too much going in different directions.

If you're not ever going to need/use a belt, then remove the belt loops.
That would be the ideal solution, for looks, in my opinion and knowing that you're probably after the look and definitely handy with the "Quik-Un-Pik".

I hope I haven't answered your questions.

Your illustration does look very familiar...

B
T

flat-top

I'll post some pics tonight. I think I'd ONLY wear a belt with these, so I'll need the loops. They fit snugly enough that I don't think it will make the fishtail "boing" out--the belt wouldn't actually be holding my pants up. I'm tempted to make the buckle-back because I have the material to do so.
And Rufus, that drawing I posted is actually from the Old Town site, but thank you anyway!!

flat-top

BellyTank said:
I imagine you'd put the cinch above th belt loops..?
Wouldn't it then be a bit high for functionality?

B
T
I would put it right below them. I don't know anymore though. They look pretty cool as is!

Edward

Bartender
BellyTank said:
Buckle-back, suspender buttons and belt keepers...

Just my opinion.

B
T

I agree..... Recently I bought a couple of pairs of Prison Blues jeans, which I'm very pleased with. On the carpenter jeans pair I bought, I paid the little extra to have the braces buttons. They're like regular denim jacket / jeans fly buttons - you know, the rivet type, that sit proud of the fabric, almost like a mushroom (I'm sure there's a technical name, but I can't recall...). Anyhow.... the jeans come with beltloops as standard, but you'd never be able to comfortably wear a belt with those braces studs sitting under it, IMO. Those logistics mightg be worth considering.

FWIW, I do think that high back is crying out for some vintage style button braces.... YMMV, though. (Keep the belt loops, though -very handy for attaching keys etc. ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21