Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
They're all just one shade of brown, but they vary in viscosity. Some edge dressings are more like lacquers or shellacs (thick), while others are more like stains (watery). To achieve a lighter shade, use a more watery edge dressing (which tends to come in a glass or semi-hard plastic bottle). For a darker shade, you'll have an easier time using thicker edge dressing (Kiwi) that comes in a squeeze bottle with a round sponge applicator on the opening.

Hmmmm...is there a difference between "edge dressing" and "edge ink"? I can imagine that stuff called "edge dye" actually dyes the sole. What about these other two incarnations of stuff?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Flying Scotsman said:
Hmmmm...is there a difference between "edge dressing" and "edge ink"? I can imagine that stuff called "edge dye" actually dyes the sole. What about these other two incarnations of stuff?

Here in the U.S.A., I've always seen it referred to as "edge dressing," no matter how thick or how watery it is. So far, I've not come across bottles labeled as "edge ink" or "dye." [huh]

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Here in the U.S.A., I've always seen it referred to as "edge dressing," no matter how thick or how watery it is. So far, I've not come across bottles labeled as "edge ink" or "dye." [huh]

I noticed it last week...I actually have a bottle of black "Edge Dressing" and a bottle of brown "Edge Ink", both from Fiebings. (For all I know, the stuff is junk and I should toss it and get something better, but what the heck did I know? All opinions/comments/assistance here are welcome).

A quick Internet search seems to (perhaps) indicate that the Edge Dressing is for leather soles, and the Edge Ink is for rubber/composite/stuff-that's-not-leather...maybe?

Weird...whoda thunk there was all this different stuff for making the edges of your soles look nice? Next thing you know, I'll find out that there's stuff for polishing the *inside* of the shoe!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Flying Scotsman said:
Weird...whoda thunk there was all this different stuff for making the edges of your soles look nice?

I know ... how arcane can we get? (Don't answer that. ;))

But seriously: repainting the edge of soles and heels goes a LONG way toward making them look, well, new. Until you've done it, you can't imagine how much of a difference it makes. Before I sell any pair of vintage shoes on eBay, I always use edge dressing on them first. Only then do I take photos.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
I know ... how arcane can a thread get? (Don't answer that. ;))

But seriously: repainting the edge of soles and heels goes a LONG way toward making them look, well, sharp. Until you've done it, you never imagine how much of a difference it can make. Before I sell any pair of vintage shoes on eBay, I always use edge dressing on them first. Only then do I take photos.

I agree absolutely...once I started doing it, I was embarassed that I hadn't done it before. I just want to make sure that now that I'm acquiring some fairly pricey footwear, that I don't do something that's bad for the shoes (even the soles) by putting something nasty on them (or something that is incompatible, etc.).

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
I've been searching for Kiwi Shoe polish locally and can only find black, brown and cordovan.. but I'm specifically looking for their Oxblood and Dark Tan. I thought this stuff was everywhere, but can't find it : Walmart,Target,grocery stores,etc. So, I thought I'd get on-line and just order it but can't find a place that carries both (in the US anyway). A site called heelingtouch.com has the oxblood but no dark tan. Anyone know of a place that's got a full selection?

Doug C
This place has a good selection. www.joesshoeservice.com

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doug C said:
I've been searching for Kiwi Shoe polish locally and can only find black, brown and cordovan.. but I'm specifically looking for their Oxblood and Dark Tan. I thought this stuff was everywhere, but can't find it : Walmart,Target,grocery stores,etc. So, I thought I'd get on-line and just order it but can't find a place that carries both (in the US anyway). A site called heelingtouch.com has the oxblood but no dark tan. Anyone know of a place that's got a full selection?

Doug C

Googling, I can across this one that carries the full line.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doug C said:
I've been searching for Kiwi Shoe polish
It's good to use both a cream polish (to condition the leather) and a wax polish (for a high gloss shine and water resistance). I first use Meltonian cream and then Kiwi wax.

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Flying Scotsman said:
Weird...whoda thunk there was all this different stuff for making the edges of your soles look nice? Next thing you know, I'll find out that there's stuff for polishing the *inside* of the shoe!
I think that I still have a glass bottle of edge dressing, with applicator under the lid, left over from my days in the military, over 20 years ago. It didn't matter the gloss of the spit shine, if the welts had dust, or the sole edges were scuffed and dull. It's all in the details.

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks Ya'll

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers I got on this question guys, very helpfull and informative..actually it's kind of inspiring too. I'm actually looking forward to shinning my shoes now. I think that I'll try the Tarrago Shoe cream found on the site that both 'Mike in Seattle' an 'J.S.Udontknowme' posted. I like it because they have a nice color chart and the color that looks closest to what I'm going for "Russet Brown" is actually labled as such. Here's the chart check out the color: http://www.joesshoeservice.com/prod...9718G65T175T4T226E50805408I6831&c=4&kys=&pg=1

I like the idea of Meltonians because people always recommend it but I'm gonna pass on it this time because I'm not quite sure on there color chart, though "mohagany" looks closest. I'll see what the Tarrago is like. Thanks again!

Doug C

fphaase

New in Town
Cleaning horsehair shoe shine brushes

My horse hair shoe shine applicator is getting gummed up with shoe polish.

How do you clean it?

Phil Haase

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
What have you tried? I'd start by immersing your hand in warm, soapy water and scrubbing your hand with the brush.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Simple: shampoo! It's hair, isn't it? Just use warm water and shampoo, and the old cream/wax will come out in moments. Rinse, allow to dry, and it will be as good as new. Do this frequently; you aren't going to hurt the brush as long as you don't soak it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Honestly, is shampoo and warm water the answer? Does anyone else back this up? It seems too simple. If this actually works, I would like to know because I have a few brushes in need of a clean!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
They're cheap and easy to find. Get another if it's getting clogged.

They should only be used to removed dust and light dirt anyway. If you're using them to 'shine' the shoe after applying polish, you're not polishing your shoes in the most effective manner.

The most use I got out of a shoe brush was dusting the floors of the dorm in basic training. I used cotton balls on my boots and service shoes.

----

Edit: I didn't read this properly the first time, it's an applicator you're asking about...I thought you meant the large buffing brush. Still, if your brush is getting too clogged, just get another one. Brushes aren't the best applicator to use anyway, an old sock over the hand works best, and doesn't leave behind swirl marks or bristles. Getting an even, smooth initial coat is critical to a good shine, and brushes just don't cut it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner