Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Off Your Projects!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The ladies have their "Show us What You Made" thread, so this is a little more open to both ladies and gentlemen.

Many of us live in old houses, and that requires that you become pretty inventive and learn new skills, unless you are in a position to hire tradesmen to do everything.

Let's see some of the projects you've been working on, either building or creating!

Here are a few of mine. Please allow plenty of slack for lousy photography and the occasional stray extension cord. :)
I added a paneled wall in the dining room, with a shelf above to hold My Mrs' Williamsburg building collection.

IMG_6580.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

There were open spaces at each side of the chimney, so I added bookcases.

IMG_6583.jpg

This is a cabinet for the television. Inside are stashed the Tivo, VCR and PS2, along with all the VHS Disney movies no one watches anymore. It's loosely based on an Arts & Crafts wardrobe I saw.

IMG_6584.jpg

I made this primitive candle box after seeing something similar at a craft show. It's now the dumping place for candle stubs and other wax items that will be melted to make others.

IMG_6578.jpg

The two really fussy things I've made are reproductions of a colonial era mirror found at Old Sturbridge Village, and a pipe box (just finished) that was found in Virginia. I'm not happy with the proportions of the box, but it'll do.

IMG_6585.jpg
IMG_6582.jpg

I made this hat shelf.

IMG_6184.jpg

And reupholstered this chair.

IMG_6294.jpg

I don't have much of a workshop, just a wobbly bench and a bunch of hand tools. The next big project is to make a base cabinet for an early 1800's hutch top we've had for ages. Somehow, the top got separated from its base long ago, and the top was converted to a floor-standing shelf unit. The base will have to have drawers and cupboard doors - I don't know if I can put off learning to make dovetail joints much longer. The whole project is pretty intimidating. Then the living room gets a paneled wall like the one in the dining room, the back porch gets removed and rebuilt as a small enclosed room, the exposed roof rafter tails need attention, and there's plenty of trim painting to be done.

fatwoul

Practically Family
scotrace said:

This is cool. The shelf above the hats probably helps keep the dust off them for a little longer, and it means that rotation of your hats is easy cos the others (at least some of them) are on the shelf above.

scotrace said:
...I don't have much of a workshop, just a wobbly bench and a bunch of hand tools...

Where's the fun in doing it with fancy, complicated tools? There's no scope for improvisation, and it's never as rewarding as if you do it your own way, with more limited resources. You should put a picture of your workshop in this thread.

scotrace said:
...The whole project is pretty intimidating...

Yeah, but just think how pleased you'll be when (not "if") it is finished. Again, there's not much fun to be had if there's no challenge to it, right?

Thanks for sharing these projects. This thread is going to be really good one, I suspect.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words. I'm anxious to see what our members have made.

We have been to Williamsburg many times, but not for several years. We were there so often I think we kind of burned out on it! But we're talking about going again.

Rooster

Practically Family
Good Golly Scott you're a talented man!:eusa_clap I envy your ability, and would love to have the time to do some of that sort of thing. We live on a mini farm here with 80 year old buildings, so that generally takes up most of my spare time just maintaining old structures, that and taking care of the sheep and chickens. Yesterday I repaired fence all day and today I'll get the chicken coops ready for winter.:eusa_doh:
But, I am fairly clever with my hands, as my every day job will show. www.fowlingguns.com
All the things you have built are fabulous, but that mirror is a real stunner!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I can understand...

scotrace said:
We have been to Williamsburg many times, but not for several years. We were there so often I think we kind of burned out on it! But we're talking about going again.

...that. We have the "local" passes and I've long since forgotten how many times we've been there. PM us if you make the trek again.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I posted...

...these in the house thread.

Our house had a broken pediment over the front door. When I repainted I discovered bad wood rot from water intrusiton. I decided to put build a pedimented portico out from the house to prevent a recurrance.

It worked out pretty well and stopped the problem.

The before at a distance

IMGP0266.jpg

After, unpainted

IMGP0276.jpg
[/IMG]

After, also unpainted (its painted now)

IMGP0275.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Here...

...is my stair project.

Our stairs were made for carpet, and the previous owners wanted wood stairs, so they stripped the carpet and stained the stairs green. While I applaud their willingness to try, the result was quite bad. The stairs were pine and badly split, the rails were wobbly, etc. My wife hated them, but didn't say anything because she didn't know I could do anything about them. When she finally did tell me, I got to work and rebuilt them.

It was a complete job down all the way to the stringers.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Nice work one and all....Scott, that Colonial style mirror is simply stunning. I receive a gift catalog from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on a regular basis and they have been offering a similar mirror in there for several hundred dollars....You should seriously think about making some of these to sell....I know you'd have a loyal customer in me......Everything is fabulous!! :eusa_clap

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Thought I’d give this thread a bump and post my last project.

As a renter, I needed someplace dignified to keep the books, but easy enough to disassemble and move, so I came up with this 7 piece breakfront. Currently I’m working on a more appropriately scaled replacement pediment for it, and trying to design a Georgian/Art deco hybrid bookcase to go along with it.

4821546611_ea0e308740.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Undertow said:
Wow, that is beautiful! Nice job! How did you do that?

Thanks. I pretty much just used basic kitchen cabinet style construction since I was going to paint it.

It uses 1/8” plywood for the back, with a hodgepodge of whatever solid wood I could find cheap (Aspen, Oak, Maple, Cherry, and Poplar), most of it pre-sized, pre-packaged lumber from the local home center. Each section has two hardwood sides screwed and dowelled to the top piece and the bottom shelf, with holes drilled every inch to take movable shelf pins on the inside facing. Since I was painting it, I just nailed on a face frame, and hid the screws and dowelling behind the moldings. The doors are basic 3/8” overlay doors; and each section is joined to its neighbors with a hex screw and threaded insert.

Almost all the horizontal moldings I picked up or ordered from the woodworking store. Only the gooseneck molding was difficult, and for that I just made up a series of templates based on a scale drawing; routered out each different shape on a different piece of wood; and then glued and nailed it all together. Since I don’t have lathe, I bought two different finials, cut them in pieces, and glued them together to create the style I was looking for. A good sanding, some primer and paint, and a few sheets of glass and that was just about it. Without any major curves, it was a pretty easy project and has gotten quite a few of my books out of boxes in the closet.

JamesOldBean

New in Town
Trunk Project

I have been collecting old wardrobe trunks for a while (as well as other stuff) and i thought i would have a go at restoring one. Not quite finnished yet but it think it looks good so far for a first attempt. Cost me £26 on Ebay.
After i had taken it apart it got a bit scarey looking at the mess i had made, and wondered if it would all go back together again! But it did, so i think i'll try some more after this one.

Metalwork was rotten and someone had painted all the outside black.
39696_138995599465711_100000658167306_230363_992603_n.jpg

39696_138995592799045_100000658167306_230361_5099572_n.jpg

39696_138995602799044_100000658167306_230364_7068184_n.jpg

Drawers were falling appart and mouldy
39696_138995596132378_100000658167306_230362_2829498_n.jpg

Outside recovered with thick furniture fabric and interior relined. All metal parts Nickel plated.
38867_138995679465703_100000658167306_230366_4084662_n.jpg

38867_138995682799036_100000658167306_230367_4675369_n.jpg

38867_138995686132369_100000658167306_230368_496022_n.jpg

I used pop rivets with Chrome furniture tacks superglued on top to make them look more vintage.
38867_138995689465702_100000658167306_230369_285765_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner