Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Antje

One Too Many
I found out that my pattern didn't even fit me as well as I thought, so I had to make some changes to my dress, but I will post when I'm finished it.

and Marieanne, thats a lovely dress, you did a great job

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
5bdc_1.JPG

n656875353_6115674_9256.jpg

i had to make the darts about an inch longer, because originally the waist was totally undefined. but YAY (and the collar reminds me of a 1970s mens shirt, which i love!)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I've have that same problem with modern patterns too. I always make the next smallest size or I'm swimming in the garment!

If you read the Palmer and Pletsch book "Fit for real people" they always recommend that you buy a dress or blouse pattern based on your high bust measurement as opposed to your full bust. You can then adjust for a full bust fitting if you need, but the shoulders and collar etc should fit you much better.

I'm trying it out at the moment on a 50's pattern with a 34 bust when I'd normally go by my full bust and it seems to be working.

It is a truly wonderful book, I'd highly recommend it.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Rachel - I looked at you blog and your SWAP stuff. I really love some of your fabrics! I can't wait to see the items as you make them up. I too am working on a "vintage inspired" SWAP. Though, mine is going slow due to budget constraints. *sniff* Anyway, I had a question about your SWAP. All your fabrics are awesome, but I am a little confused about how the colors are going to be interchangeable. Maybe I am just not putting it together in my mind. This is the part I had trouble with in my plan, so I am always interested to have people explain their color plan to me. Maybe the more I see of color plans the better I will be at making my own.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
kamikat - I am following your SWAP in your blog! It is so fun to see what other people put together! What I love is how well you know what cuts look good on you! I can't wait to see more!

Anachronism said:
5bdc_1.JPG

n656875353_6115674_9256.jpg

i had to make the darts about an inch longer, because originally the waist was totally undefined. but YAY (and the collar reminds me of a 1970s mens shirt, which i love!)

Very cute!
I am working on Advance 7837 right now and it is very similar to this.
I bought $2 Walmart fabric to try it out in first. I have to say, their fabric is so bad. I got the nicest looking thing I could and when I got it home is still has factory dirt and defects in it.:mad: I'm glad it just going to be a mock up.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I am totally mortified by these pictures.
I finally made a dress from one of the first patterns I traced. An early 30,s Dubarry.
008_6A.jpg
007_5A.jpg

Late 30's Butterick
002_0A-1.jpg

A Past Patterns 1930's skirt. I wanted to make it longer but I didn't have enough fabric.
004_2A.jpg

This hat would look better at a different angle and the viel needs work. I made the necklace also.
012_11A.jpg

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
deadpandiva - don't be mortified, you look wonderful! especially that smile!
i love the green dress, the color is divine. i really like the neckline on the navy dress - it suits you well. the hat is adorable - my only hat attempt was very, very sad.... also, love the skirt - all of your pieces make me want to make more 30's clothing! it looks so different seeing things on a real person as opposed to illustrations, i love the styles you've done here.
:eusa_clap

Emmaline

New in Town
I actually can't believe this skirt came together! I found another thread on here with links to instructions to make a circle skirt and thought I would give it a go even though my sewing experience has only been a blanket and pajama pants. I have no idea what the fabric is; it was just some that had been sitting in our storage shed for a while but it was free so.... no crying if I messed it up!:eek: For no pattern, I think it turned out pretty decent and seeing the amazing things you ladies have made really inspire me to make more!

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
I am totally mortified by these pictures.
I finally made a dress from one of the first patterns I traced. An early 30,s Dubarry.
008_6A.jpg
007_5A.jpg

Late 30's Butterick
002_0A-1.jpg

A Past Patterns 1930's skirt. I wanted to make it longer but I didn't have enough fabric.
004_2A.jpg

This hat would look better at a different angle and the viel needs work. I made the necklace also.
012_11A.jpg

Omg How cute and creative!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I love that green dress! What a great color, and the bow is so much fun. There are several things I own that are shorter/longer based on the size of the fabric piece available. That's the price of sewing from the stack I suppose.

And I have to say that is a stunning necklace; do you just do that for yourself or do you have a shop?

I just finalized my plan for my vintage inspired SWAP. With a few of us doing this, I wonder if maybe we should start a separate thread for it.. meanwhile, here's my plan and a link to the blog.

3328030952_0b1ff09c1a.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
This thread is fantastic! very inspirational.

deadpandiva, that stuff you made is fantastic and looks gorgeous on you! well done! :eusa_clap The blue dress is my favorite.
I'm also in love with the red hat you posted a while ago on the thread. How hard is it to make hats? I imagine it to be very complicated.

I am myself a bit useless :( - I'd love to learn how to make things as I can very rarely find clothes to fit me properly. This is something mum knitted for me (it's been posted on another thread but I thought it fits here too)
ZtX5kG100308-02.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
That's a lovely skirt Emmaline. I had so much trouble with the one full skirt I made that I don't know if I'll ever try it again.

crazydaisy- Cute sweater. I wish I could knit and crochet. Hat's arent two hard. It just takes bit of research and trial and error. I have alot of mistakes lying around.

Rachael- I have been making a great deal of necklaces lately so I may sell some but my twin sister is the real jewelry designer so I don't sell locally.

Thank you maybelaughter and Lareesie Ladavi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW