Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
This doesn't even compare to the beautiful things you ladies have made, but it's my first try, so go easy on me :)

Just a simple circle skirt with waistband, no pattern used. Still need to button down the little side tab. Machine was acting up, so hand sewn, no hemming done.

I really need a dress form...this was a fun project (look up duct tape dress form) but it didn't hold it's shape.
Sewing224.jpg

GAH! Can't figure out how to make the picture right side up![huh]

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Lau Mo said:
This doesn't even compare to the beautiful things you ladies have made, but it's my first try, so go easy on me :)

Just a simple circle skirt with waistband, no pattern used. Still need to button down the little side tab. Machine was acting up, so hand sewn, no hemming done.

I really need a dress form...this was a fun project (look up duct tape dress form) but it didn't hold it's shape.
Sewing224.jpg

GAH! Can't figure out how to make the picture right side up![huh]

Now, Now....remember we all started from the beginning...each and every one of us....and I still sew stuff and go "Oooopsiee...." from time to time. :) Kudos to you for whipping up a circle skirt.

anabolina

A-List Customer
MissAmelina said:
Kamitkat....the blouse is darling.....

Here is my take on the Decades of Style Butterfly Blouse:

butterfly3.jpg
butterfly2.jpg
butterfly1.jpg

i took a fellow blogger's advice and used 1/4" bias tape along the pieced edges, to forgo topstiching on this gauze fabric....But I decided not to put it along the neckline as I thought it looked severe----although I am still undecided, so any opinions would be muchly appreciated:

butterfly4.jpg

It has a softer feel without it---more feminine, I think. And now I am trying to decide if I should cut the trim it off the sleeves too. I plan on serging the bottom and neckline and then hand hemming. It will take longer, but I think it will be worth it. The pattern calls for french binding, but I was afraid i would stretch the fabric---I already did when I poorly applied the bias tape to the back and had to remove it... it stretched the bottom of the fabric and i had to improvise and make "sweetheart shaped" shoulders :) ---the upper back is meant to be straight. But I like the curves, so it's all good.

Next time (and there will be a next time because this pattern is fabulous and easy) I will probably "nut up" and do the topstitching.

Wow, I love, love, love that blouse and I get what you mean abou the tape around the neck being a bit severe. I love it either way, but think it looks great without. Great job!!!

I like your skirt too Lau Mo. Lovely color and shape. Enjoy the hemming though. That's my least favorite part of any project.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Thanks MissAmelina and Anabolina!

I had my sewing machine working for about 3 hours last night...got most of another skirt done, but then it broke again. So frustrating!

I might just buy one of those tiny little machines for like $20, just so I can finish these projects. Has anyone used one of those before?

anabolina

A-List Customer
Lau Mo said:
Thanks MissAmelina and Anabolina!

I had my sewing machine working for about 3 hours last night...got most of another skirt done, but then it broke again. So frustrating!

I might just buy one of those tiny little machines for like $20, just so I can finish these projects. Has anyone used one of those before?

Yes and don't. they are very frustrating and can't sew through 2 layers of cotton. I tried one years ago before getting into sewing and gave up pretty quickly. Thankfully my sister left her sewing machine with my parents, so I was able to use that one to get used to sewing better. I did try the sew mini for $40 and I was able to sew though lightweight fabrics easily, I tried it with one heavier cotton that I could tell it had difficulties with. What sort of machine do you use? Is it worth reparing? My parents ended up giving me my sister's machine which is a Walmart Brother and when it dies, I'm defintely upgrading since it wouldn't probably be repair-able. On the other hand, the cheapo Brother has given me no problems in 2.5 years of sewing through many weights of fabrics.

Definitely check out Craigslist for somegood prices on full sized ones.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I'm currently using my Mom's...it's a Kenmore, and actually really nice, it has lots of different settings and is all automated, with a little display screen. It's great...when it works. But lately, it just sucks in my fabric and doesn't actually leave a line of stitches. I'll probably ask my mom to take it to be fixed, but since I don't normally live at home (here for college spring break), I might get a Brother from Walmart for myself when I'm not at home. I've heard lots of good reviews about them.

mentha

Familiar Face
@ Lau Mo: I use a Brother and yes, I'm very happy with it! It was affordable and so far takes on any challenge I throw at it, biggest challenge being my corset and it came out great!

I'd like to have a serger once, but they're still a bit out of budget for me...

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I'm heading off to Walmart to stock up on notions and such so I can make more stuff! I fixed my mom's machine, so hopefully it lasts. I think that the problem is the bobbin comes loose alot.

I think that this is going to be the start of an expensive (but fun!) hobby.

mentha

Familiar Face
You bet it is! After having promised myself I wouldn't buy new fabric for new projects until finishing at least 3 projects currently occupying my head [a pimped granny lamp, a pencil skirt and The Dress, Butterick 4790], just 10 minutes ago I caved and ordered 6 meters of black satin for a pair of French knickers and princess-slip :D Planning on making the knickers sometime next week, but I have good reason: a Bettie Page styled photo shoot in 2 weeks and I want to have the underpinnings just right :D

anabolina

A-List Customer
mentha said:
You bet it is! After having promised myself I wouldn't buy new fabric for new projects until finishing at least 3 projects currently occupying my head [a pimped granny lamp, a pencil skirt and The Dress, Butterick 4790], just 10 minutes ago I caved and ordered 6 meters of black satin for a pair of French knickers and princess-slip :D Planning on making the knickers sometime next week, but I have good reason: a Bettie Page styled photo shoot in 2 weeks and I want to have the underpinnings just right :D

ITA, it can also be a very spacious hobby if you let it. Thankfully I live alone and there's no one to nag me about boxes of fabrics. When I moved into my apartment a couple of months ago, I realized that a huge portion, maybe a third, of the stuff I was carrying in was related to sewing in some way. Yeah, don't let that happen to you. On the other hand, if I take it into my head to start a project, I don't have to go out and buy anything.

Good Luck on your machine Lao Mo. Hopefully it's bobbin will stop acting up.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
ITA, it can also be a very spacious hobby if you let it. Thankfully I live alone and there's no one to nag me about boxes of fabrics. When I moved into my apartment a couple of months ago, I realized that a huge portion, maybe a third, of the stuff I was carrying in was related to sewing in some way. Yeah, don't let that happen to you. On the other hand, if I take it into my head to start a project, I don't have to go out and buy anything.

Good Luck on your machine Lao Mo. Hopefully it's bobbin will stop acting up.

this sounds like me!!:eusa_clap
ive been bad lately and had a splurge on fabric,notions and patterns! after learening about SWAP on here im now in the process of at least getting organised with the stuff ive got......lol

im trying to do the same as Mentha and actually finish a few of the projects i havent finished first!:eek:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I can't show you what I made - yet, but I spent this morning sewing orange gingham curtains to cover an ugly space in our kitchen. Proper, 100% cotton gingham that I bought back with me all the way from New Zealand. Just a warning though, I pre-washed the material and it shrunk by 5%, so I lost 20cm on 4 metres! Always pre-wash cotton, ladies.

I need to get some curtain wire so I can hang them. So nice to have an *easy* project for a change.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis said:
I can't show you what I made - yet, but I spent this morning sewing orange gingham curtains to cover an ugly space in our kitchen. Proper, 100% cotton gingham that I bought back with me all the way from New Zealand. Just a warning though, I pre-washed the material and it shrunk by 5%, so I lost 20cm on 4 metres! Always pre-wash cotton, ladies.

I need to get some curtain wire so I can hang them. So nice to have an *easy* project for a change.

i need a decent camera to post sme pics! my phone ones playing up..
like miss siss my layest finished project is curtains for the kitchen to cover an ugley space!!;)

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I made a pair of shorts today. I'm not sure what they are called exactly, but they are the kind you might find in a playsuit, wide legs, silky striped material. I'll probably only wear them over my bathing suit in the summer. My only real problem with them is that my zipper is really funky. Anyone have tips for zippers? I spent probably an hour trying to make it perfect, and it still looks really strange. Picture to come, I still need to hem them and attach the buttons.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
1959 Cocktail Dress

Before I head off to bed after a long week, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek at the cocktail dress I finally finished and wore out last night. (Haven't even blogged it yet!)
From an original 1959 pattern, I made this up in a satin - (which was very hard to work with and not get ripples and puckers) - found in the bargain bin where all my favorite fabrics seem to be from! I'm rather pleased with the way this turned out and am now thinking about doing another in a deep red velvet for winter. yum.

3351478730_2c2aa2262f_o.jpg

3351478768_2c0b228a43_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97