Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Mary

Practically Family
Deadpandiva. Wonderful dresses and skirts! They are beautifully done. What fabrics have you been using? I especially like the navy dress.

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm really enjoying reading about the vintage sewing SWAPs! I've never heard of a SWAP before, but now I'm seriously considering joining in. I try to do a lot of mix-n-match anyway, and I'm ready for a few new good pieces. I'm going to read up on this more. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I finished the first piece of my vintage inspired swap; I'm ready for spring and they're predicting snow Sunday. figures [huh].
This is the pattern: http://tinyurl.com/bvr6nw
and this is the finished skirt:
3332924964_01c3c62916.jpg

I made some fairly substantial alterations to make it a more wearable skirt, including taking 8" off the hem and 2" off the top.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
I'm really enjoying reading about the vintage sewing SWAPs! I've never heard of a SWAP before, but now I'm seriously considering joining in. I try to do a lot of mix-n-match anyway, and I'm ready for a few new good pieces. I'm going to read up on this more. Thanks for the inspiration!

The key to a swap is to make sure all the pieces go with each other. My SWAP anchor is a print that is brown, blue and cream. I have a print top and skirt, a blue top and skirt, a cream top, brown trousers and skirt. My modern pieces are 3 knit wrap tops in brown, blue and cream. All the tops can be worn with every bottom. The concept is that instead of having a closet of individual pieces but nothing to wear because they don't match, your whole closet goes together and you have a put-together outfit no matter what's in there.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Great work--I adore that fabric, did you get it recently or is it vintage?

Rachael said:
I finished the first piece of my vintage inspired swap; I'm ready for spring and they're predicting snow Sunday. figures [huh].
This is the pattern: http://tinyurl.com/bvr6nw
and this is the finished skirt:
3332924964_01c3c62916.jpg

I made some fairly substantial alterations to make it a more wearable skirt, including taking 8" off the hem and 2" off the top.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I bought the fabric last month at Mill End Fabrics. It has been catching my eye since last fall when I first saw it but I couldn't figure what to make of it. There was a debate for a while over whether it mattered or not that the print shows a later era than the style of the skirt, (skinny skirts and capris on a full gored skirt pattern) but I decided to go for it anyways. It reminds me of the Gershwin bit on Fantasia 2000.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
Deadpandiva. Wonderful dresses and skirts! They are beautifully done. What fabrics have you been using? I especially like the navy dress.
The navy dress is a poly/cotton blend. It has a sutble pinstripe and sheen. I usually use cotton or wool fabric. I find it;s easy to tear out the seams in cotton if I mess up and I mess up alot. :)
Rachael- I love everything about that skirt. The print, the length, the fit.
Kamikat- Cute top. I need to make more seperates.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Kamikat, that is SO cute! I have that pattern as well, but haven't made it up yet. I'm glad to know it's so cute!! And you look adorable, like always. :D

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Kamitkat....the blouse is darling.....

Here is my take on the Decades of Style Butterfly Blouse:

butterfly3.jpg
butterfly2.jpg
butterfly1.jpg

i took a fellow blogger's advice and used 1/4" bias tape along the pieced edges, to forgo topstiching on this gauze fabric....But I decided not to put it along the neckline as I thought it looked severe----although I am still undecided, so any opinions would be muchly appreciated:

butterfly4.jpg

It has a softer feel without it---more feminine, I think. And now I am trying to decide if I should cut the trim it off the sleeves too. I plan on serging the bottom and neckline and then hand hemming. It will take longer, but I think it will be worth it. The pattern calls for french binding, but I was afraid i would stretch the fabric---I already did when I poorly applied the bias tape to the back and had to remove it... it stretched the bottom of the fabric and i had to improvise and make "sweetheart shaped" shoulders :) ---the upper back is meant to be straight. But I like the curves, so it's all good.

Next time (and there will be a next time because this pattern is fabulous and easy) I will probably "nut up" and do the topstitching.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I did do the smocking (it's just hard to see....poopy old camera phone) :) and I think the trim detracts from that, sadly. BUT it was the beta version, afterall. More versions to come! Wheeeee!!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the butterfly blouse, Amelina!

Why do you fear top stitching? I find it pretty easy if I use the one-sided foot as a gauge, and go slowly - it isn't half as traumatic as the ^&*$%^ bound buttonhole is!

I wouldn't put the trim on the front, it would be distracting and limit what you could wear it with. Love your fabric, too.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
deadpandiva said:
I am totally mortified by these pictures.
I finally made a dress from one of the first patterns I traced. An early 30,s Dubarry.
008_6A.jpg
007_5A.jpg

Late 30's Butterick
002_0A-1.jpg

A Past Patterns 1930's skirt. I wanted to make it longer but I didn't have enough fabric.
004_2A.jpg

This hat would look better at a different angle and the viel needs work. I made the necklace also.
012_11A.jpg

How did you make that hat?! I love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred