Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
That hat is just yummy-you did a beautiful job! And the day dresses are darling...I love when I score fabric for cheap, and know that my clothes cost me little. Thrift is good!

Did you see the three new Vintage Vogue dress patterns for summer? And the other Simplicity playsuit and skirt one, #3748? It's so new that my Joann doesn't even have it yet, and Simplicity patterns are $1.99 there starting Thursday...argh! I must have it!
The Vogue ones are #V2960, V2961 and V2962. They make me swoon, they are SO GORGEOUS. I hate to wait until they are on sale, but I just can't pay that much for a pattern.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
RedHotRidinHood said:
Did you see the three new Vintage Vogue dress patterns for summer? And the other Simplicity playsuit and skirt one, #3748? It's so new that my Joann doesn't even have it yet, and Simplicity patterns are $1.99 there starting Thursday...argh! I must have it!
The Vogue ones are #V2960, V2961 and V2962. They make me swoon, they are SO GORGEOUS. I hate to wait until they are on sale, but I just can't pay that much for a pattern.

Holy moly!! SQUEE! Thank you for posting this! I'm so happy that Simplicity re-did a playsuit! :) :)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
DaDQ-it so freakin' cute you will squeal in the fabric store when you see it. It's actually a top and shorts, but put together it is darling. I may even decide I am brave enough to try shorts for myself with this one! :)

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
RedHotRidinHood said:

Hi do you have Hancock Fabric out in your neck of the woods? If so Vogue are on sale for $3.99 through today. Sorry for the short notice. I just found out last night.

Amelie

A-List Customer
newprojectqm1.jpg

this is the project I am planning to do this week

the fabric I want to use is drying right now and is a kind of coton tweed, so it's light anough to be a spring/early summer dress, I hope I wont mess it up, but this pattern is supposed to be an easy one lol

anabolina

A-List Customer
DimeADanceQueen said:
Hi do you have Hancock Fabric out in your neck of the woods? If so Vogue are on sale for $3.99 through today. Sorry for the short notice. I just found out last night.

I found out about that yesterday and finally picked up a few Vintage Vogue, the 2260 is beautiful, I can't wait to make it, but Hancocks didn't have 2261, so I don't get to anticipate that one.:( Are the Simplicities really on sale at Joann's today? That would be great, my sister wants me to pick up 3780 and sew it for her in my VAST amounts of free time, oh well, she's graduating, so I guess she deserves a present... :p

anabolina

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
I don't know, it's quite possibly my ability (or lack thereof :eek: ) or my body that makes it look unlike the picture.

The one thing I found wiith it is that you need to carefully fit it before you sew the side seams in. That's the only place you seem to be able to adjust the fit, and with a side zipper, once it's in, it's nearly impossible to adjust without ripping the whole thing apart.

I'd also suggest not doing this as a project early on as you learn. It was my second ever, and it gave me fits.

This is a really easy pattern, it wass the third one I worked on and it took less than 2 hours of sewing, not conty time to wash the fabric and cut it out of course. Unfortunately, I picked some seriously wrong colors and patterns for it and it does NOT look good on me. I used 2 different prints, one green and one red and it was NOT intended to be a Christmas dress. <sigh> I suppose lessons like these are good for us, right?

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
anabolina said:
Are the Simplicities really on sale at Joann's today? That would be great, my sister wants me to pick up 3780 and sew it for her in my VAST amounts of free time, oh well, she's graduating, so I guess she deserves a present... :p

to the best of my knowledge, yes, they are. i'll be going at lunch to check it out. the add i found online for my zip code says they are on sale from today through saturday. $1.99 each, limit 10.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
anabolina said:
This is a really easy pattern, it wass the third one I worked on and it took less than 2 hours of sewing, not conty time to wash the fabric and cut it out of course. Unfortunately, I picked some seriously wrong colors and patterns for it and it does NOT look good on me. I used 2 different prints, one green and one red and it was NOT intended to be a Christmas dress. <sigh> I suppose lessons like these are good for us, right?

Well, we all have different experiences with things, I suppose. I'm glad it didn't give you a headache, because it sure gave me one!

To be fair, it is marked easy, and so it probably isn't very difficult. However, it is also clearly marked on the back of the pattern that there is "no provision for above waist adjustment". Being that I am a different size top and bottom, that could account for some of my difficulty. Plus, I am almost entirely self-taught. I know I made some pretty big rookie mistakes on it, such as forgetting to fit it before sewing.

All I know, is that I had a much easier time with Butterick 6522 (Retro 1950). I did better dealing with a curved neckline, darts, stay-tape and self-belt and buckle than with that other one! I even did better making an a-line skirt with a lining when the pattern didn't have one and I'd never done a lining before!! lol lol

Ah well, to each their own! Happy sewing! :)

Joie

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
!

Plus, I am almost entirely self-taught. I know I made some pretty big rookie mistakes on it, such as forgetting to fit it before sewing.

Ah well, to each their own! Happy sewing! :)

Joie

As am I. I've been sewing for almost 13 years and i still make some serious rookie mistakes when I get too excited.
If it makes you feel any better... I did it three weeks ago when I got my beautiful 1940s side button day dress pattern from eBay and paired it up with some beautiful cherry print calico from JoAnns. i was so excited to make the darn think I forgot to alter the pattern. Cut it out, whipped it together, and well it ain't gonna fit me..that's for sure... A large mouse maybe, but not me..
so yah, don't worry, gets easier with time and all of us have that box of botched stuff. ; )

Edit: on top of that... Joann is now out of the material and doesn't know if or when they will get it back in..

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
DimeADanceQueen said:
As am I. I've been sewing for almost 13 years and i still make some serious rookie mistakes when I get too excited.
If it makes you feel any better... I did it three weeks ago when I got my beautiful 1940s side button day dress pattern from eBay and paired it up with some beautiful cherry print calico from JoAnns. i was so excited to make the darn think I forgot to alter the pattern. Cut it out, whipped it together, and well it ain't gonna fit me..that's for sure... A large mouse maybe, but not me..
so yah, don't worry, gets easier with time and all of us have that box of botched stuff. ;)

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your cherry dress. That story just hurts to read! :(
I sure hope they get some more of that print in for you!
I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a minute I was thinking I was the only one who made mistakes. Eek, I sew professionally! Even after sewing since the age of six I still miscut, mis-sew, miscalculate, misjudge and just plain goof up. When it's for something for myself, it means the Barbies get new duds. Only once has it happened for a customer and I managed to remedy it thank goodness.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
anabolina said:

I went back through this thread to try to figure out which pattern you are refering to. I can't seem to figure it out. Could you remind me which pattern was easy/difficult :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:
I went back through this thread to try to figure out which pattern you are refering to. I can't seem to figure it out. Could you remind me which pattern was easy/difficult :)

Sure. It's a Butterick Retro (from '42). Pattern 6239.

There's a photo of it back on the top of page 35. That's kinda where the whole thing started. My quote about how I found it difficult follows on page 37.

That took a bit of digging. (Both here and in my sewing box! ;) )

Joie

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
Sure. It's a Butterick Retro (from '42). Pattern 6239.
My quote about how I found it difficult follows on page 37.

That took a bit of digging. (Both here and in my sewing box! ;) )

Joie

Thanks for digging it up. I was starting to wonder too.. when did they print that one? It's not available right now is it? It's a beautiful pattern! Kind of looks like a vintage vogue '30s pattern that's also out of print...

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
DaDQ-that one came out about 1999 or 2000, I think. I had my mom make me that one back then, and she said it wasn't that difficult. However, even with the shoulder pads, I look dowdy in it! I don't know if it had much to do with the fact that I had had a baby a year earlier, but it just doesn't look quite right on me still. I still have it, but now it's too big and I am unsure how to fix it. We made it out of a neat green and white polka dot rayon print.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Forgot to add-thanks for the heads up on the Vogues at Hancock! Mine is really far away because the closer one CLOSED, much to my chagrin...guess I will wait until Joann has their sale. I am broke anyway...argh.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
DimeADanceQueen said:
Thanks for digging it up. I was starting to wonder too.. when did they print that one? It's not available right now is it? It's a beautiful pattern! Kind of looks like a vintage vogue '30s pattern that's also out of print...

I think RHRH has the dates right, and it does seem to be out of print. :(

Does anyone know if Butterick is still making it's Retro series? I hadn't seen any in a long while, but someone posted one not too long ago that I hadn't seen before. Was it one I missed, or are there new ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara