Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I was going to make a dress with the lemon fabric, but then it would been a lemon of a dress lol ;) . The lemon fabric is a linen. Very soft and cool. I wore it on Mother's day.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Too cute!

hotrod_elf said:
I was going to make a dress with the lemon fabric, but then it would been a lemon of a dress lol ;) . The lemon fabric is a linen. Very soft and cool. I wore it on Mother's day.

Is it vintage fabric or modern? If modern, I might have to keep an eye out for some!

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Lady Day,

I've just looked through this whole thread again and I have to say the fabrics you choose are just amazing. I love how you use contrasting lining fabrics - like little floral print patterned fabric or checked.

I love it!!

It's an idea that I intend on stealing!:D

anabolina

A-List Customer
I got inspired yesterday and sewed this dress... It's the first truly vintage dress I've sewn and came from a totally unprinted pattern

Here's the pattern envelope...
n9237envelope.jpg

And my finished(not quite) creation. I need to resew a couple of buttons and pay with the hem a bit.

n9237n2.jpg

and

n9237n3.jpg

and while I'm showing those dresses I've sewn

This is Simplicity 3788
nsimplcity3877n2.jpg

And here's the shirt and skirt I made from Simplicity 4047.
nPicsagain4008.jpg

and a closer view of the shirt

nsimplcity4047.jpg

Mccalls 5992

Mccalls5292.jpg

Mccalls 5095

Mccalls5095.jpg

And this simplest skirt wrap pattern I've ever worked on Butterick 3526

Butterick3526.jpg

Yes, I've just figured out how to post pics

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanessa Anne said:
Lady Day,

I've just looked through this whole thread again and I have to say the fabrics you choose are just amazing. I love how you use contrasting lining fabrics - like little floral print patterned fabric or checked.

I love it!!

It's an idea that I intend on stealing!:D

Aww :eek:
Thanks sweetie!

Anabolina, you have a whole wardrobe there! :eusa_clap
I LUV your Simplicity 4047. I want that shirt so bad!

*sigh*

LD

anabolina

A-List Customer
Thanx LD, It was actually easier to sew the gingham fabric then I thought it would be. I think the shirt took an afternoon to sew so it came together really quickly. sigh

The only problem with the new obsession with sewing is that I still love ebay, I got 2 new desses from the VBO last week. Anyway, my closet is full to bursting and I cleaned it out not 2 months ago. Oh well, my next sewing project is a dress for my sister and after that I've agreed to help my 12 year old cousin's daughter learn to sew. Talk about the blind leading the blind, I'm still a raw beginner and have only been sewing since last November. I did my first buttonhole this weekend (and it wasn't nearly as hard as my Mom made it out to be). [huh]

I lie, that's not the only problem, I also can't stop buying cute vintage patterns, although the first one I tried ended up being a mess. It was a 50s simplcity and for some reason it looked to me like someone had cut it out and added to the outside for a seam allowance, yes it had not been cut out, and no I can't explain why I thought it had. I guess they used to print each peice on separately or something. Anyway, yes I cut around everything and it was actually funny when I figured out what was wrong and I own A LOT of patterns both old an new. I own a lot of the Retro Butterick, although the 2 dresses I was from Retro Butterick patterns were imperfect. One was my fault because it was my first experience with gathering and the gathering was uneven, and the other was Butterick's fault because even though I know I cut out my size, the purportedly fitted bodice came out 4 inches too big around. That dress became an apron, or it will be one when I get around to sewing ties to it. My sister, her MIL and SIL came up this weekend for Scarborough Faire (made the cutest costume for it *tip when boning a bodice, you can get this stuff from from home improvement stores that they wrap around the wood that makes wonderfully stiff boning for a bodice and its free). When my sister's SIL saw my patterns she asked how long I'd been sewing, yes I have that many.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, they did useta print and cut out each piece separately. Hence that 'halo' around the pieces lol. Its fooled many of us.

Still, grrrreat stuff. Keep it commin'!

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
LD your tote and glassy cases are so cute! And those red glassies, woohoo! I love em! And the stocking cozies and hats... you are so creative. I also adore your new avatar!

Anabolina, great pics! You've inspired me to get my butt in gear. Now to get my machine to the shop!

Hotrod, that lemon shirt is awesome!
Nikki

anabolina

A-List Customer
Thanks Ohairas, you can do it, just don't get frustrated. I get that way all the time, for every project I complete so far, there's another one that gets scrapped because I realize the pattern/fabric will look horrible on me. sigh, this is why its good to buy cheap fabric to start out. I love that dollar rack at Walmart.

Frl. Wunder

New in Town
my 1920s adventure

I almost forgot to show some pics of my last 20s dress. I made it for a 20s party in Berlin. The dress is silk chiffon with a silk satin slip and made from an original 1927 pattern.
This is me in a quite silly pose at the hotel:
IMG_4597sm.jpg

and at the party:
IMG_4590sm.jpg

Click here for viewing the complete photo album.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ladies, you amaze me with your clever sewing skills--

LD: I particularly like the eye-glass cases. Just adorable!

Anabolina: Wow! You are a sewing goddess--I love the first one the best. But it all is so cute

TexasGirl: That is the cutest darn quilt top I've seen in ages. Well done!

anabolina

A-List Customer
I agree Miss Dottie, I like that one I listed first better. It's the only one that came from a true vintage pattern and its inspiring to me and to my sister who now wants me to share the sewing machine with her.

Wow Frl. Wunder I love it, and I love the pose.

Foofoogal said:
Wow, such a cute quilt.

Anabolina, I cannot believe you just started sewing. You are really a natural. :eusa_clap
Fri.Wunder that is a fabulous Art Deco outfit and you look so cute.

Well, I finished with helping my 2 grandaughters sew the backpack for one and purse for the other. I used to sew all the time and took 4 years of it in Homemaking back when we use to have real kitchens, parlors and learned to sew and have a fashion show even. I gave it up when my son was born because something about scissors, needles and babies just didn't mix. lol
Since pulling out my new machine and figuring out how to thread the thing and helping my gbabies and coming here I am getting inspired again.
I have been wanting some yellow dotted swiss curtains like they used to have once upon a time and they seem to be like the Holy Grail. Real dotted swiss isn't even sold anymore. I know as I asked at the fabric store.
Anyway, I cannot figure out how to do a buttonhole on my new cheapie (Brother XL-3022) machine but I think I am going to play.
My one question is the older patterns were made so much better with better paper. Now it is like tissue. Is this the main reason y'all use vintage patterns.?

Thanks Foofoogal, its great that you're helping your granddaughters learn to sew, my cousin's daughter saw the polka dotted dress I made at another cousin's daughter's 2nd b-day party last Sat and asked me to teach her to sew this summer while she's visiting with the grandparents.

Sewing is a lot of fun, isn't it? I also have a Brother and made my first buttonhole last weekend. I figured it out from reading the online manuals since I can't find the manual that came with it years ago. They post them on the Brother site. I got pretty good button holes from the Brother even without the special button hole foot so I guess it's not necessary. Does it really help I wonder?

Also, does anyone else have a problem with losing interest in projects. I have 2 dresses, a pair of pants, and a shirt cut out and one dress almost completed, but have become distracted by my new patterns and keep procrastinating on finishing them. I guess its becuase my favorite part of sewing is the cutting out stage. [huh]

Frl. Wunder

New in Town
Thank you very much for your kind words ladies! I am already planning some new stuff as we will be taking a ride with an original 20´s streetcar soon and I need a day dress (and a cloche of course). I must be totally obsessed. ;)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
The sewing talent of the Powder Room ladies is simply amazing!

Lady Day, that hat is gorgeous! Did you use a pattern?

Anabolina, I especially love the blue/grey sundress (McCall's 5095)...it's really flattering on you.

TexasGirl, that is the cutest quilt I've ever seen.

Frl. Wonder, you look like you stepped out of an episode of The House of Eliott in your fashionable creation.

And anyone else I've forgotten...great job! :eusa_clap

I still need to get going on my own stuff.

--Leslie

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
MaryDeluxe said:
Good ideas Ohairas! I definetly need to incorporate the new fabric into the top areas of the dress. I'm liking adding it to the sleeves or around the collar. Thanks for your great ideas! I hope I can do this pretty number some justice.

I agree with Lady Day, say a few foot of green at the bottom and then 1/2 foot on the ends of the sleeves. I think red would not work somehow. I could be wrong.

Just perfect for lounging in, all you will need are fluffy mules/slippers and a full face of makeup and loads of rhinestones...Dahling!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran