Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks gals! It only took me two years to get up the gumption to finish it. haha. I just plugged my ipod into an audio book and zoned out while following pre-drawn lines. Was a good relaxer from the work week ;)

michou1930

New in Town
A little bit of fifties for me

I just finished one of the Butterick Retro patterns - it was pretty easy going and it fits nicely (well, if I would have taken the 12 as the size chart suggested, it would have been way too big - this is an 8!)

DSCN2112.jpg

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
michou1930 said:
I just finished one of the Butterick Retro patterns - it was pretty easy going and it fits nicely (well, if I would have taken the 12 as the size chart suggested, it would have been way too big - this is an 8!)

DSCN2112.jpg

so nice! which pattern is it?

Antje

One Too Many
michou1930 said:

DSCN2112.jpg

you did a super job, I once did not buy this pattern because i didn't know how it would look when it was a made dress, but I'm sorry now for not buying it, I love the dress

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
michou1930 said:

I've have that same problem with modern patterns too. I always make the next smallest size or I'm swimming in the garment!

michou1930

New in Town
Pink Dahlia said:
I've have that same problem with modern patterns too. I always make the next smallest size or I'm swimming in the garment!

Do you have an idea why this happens? What is the intention? :rage: And just when I thought I knew how to handle this I tried another dress pattern (Vogue 9668), looked at the pattern pieces and the indicated finished measurements, found that 8 should be fitting, cut it out, cut the fabric out and - bit in the table: the top is way too small. It might have been alright if the layout for pinning the pieces on the fabric would have been correct ... well, I should stop now, it is not really interesting and I need to control my anger!

But how is it with vintage patterns? I only made two skirts and they were fitted although I used my real size ;) Is this common?

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
michou1930 said:
Do you have an idea why this happens? What is the intention? :rage: And just when I thought I knew how to handle this I tried another dress pattern (Vogue 9668), looked at the pattern pieces and the indicated finished measurements, found that 8 should be fitting, cut it out, cut the fabric out and - bit in the table: the top is way too small. It might have been alright if the layout for pinning the pieces on the fabric would have been correct ... well, I should stop now, it is not really interesting and I need to control my anger!

But how is it with vintage patterns? I only made two skirts and they were fitted although I used my real size ;) Is this common?

I find that *every* pattern is different, so I have to make up a "test run" in muslin first. Or, as a suggestion, use another inexpensive cotton fabric that you like. That way, if it turns out nicely the first time, the garment can still be worn----but if it doesn't turn out, you won't mind tearing it apart and making alterations to the pattern.

michou1930

New in Town
MissAmelina said:
I find that *every* pattern is different, so I have to make up a "test run" in muslin first. Or, as a suggestion, use another inexpensive cotton fabric that you like. That way, if it turns out nicely the first time, the garment can still be worn----but if it doesn't turn out, you won't mind tearing it apart and making alterations to the pattern.

I know, you are absolutely right and should do it this way. As soon as the kids will both go to Kindergarten I shall do this! One day I might even know what to do if I don't like the result.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
michou1930 said:
I know, you are absolutely right and should do it this way. As soon as the kids will both go to Kindergarten I shall do this! One day I might even know what to do if I don't like the result.

That's right! Time and practice. By the way, I remember seeing that sweater you are wearing in your avatar on your blog awhile back....I am still hopelessly in love with it! Such a lovely job....I am envious of you knitters! Such patience you have!:)

michou1930

New in Town
MissAmelina said:
That's right! Time and practice. By the way, I remember seeing that sweater you are wearing in your avatar on your blog awhile back....I am still hopelessly in love with it! Such a lovely job....I am envious of you knitters! Such patience you have!:)

Don't be envious - just start. Knitting is not that difficult and you will even get quicker and quicker. I normally need 10 days to three weeks for such a little sweater. And the red one was also a quick knit because I wanted it so badly! ;-)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
michou1930 said:
Don't be envious - just start. Knitting is not that difficult and you will even get quicker and quicker. I normally need 10 days to three weeks for such a little sweater. And the red one was also a quick knit because I wanted it so badly! ;-)
:eek: I've never finished any knitting project in less than 6 months! But then, I have arthritis in my hands and can't knit for more than an hour at a time.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I finally finished my daughter's Christening gown. Who needs anger management classes when you can just sew! I'm pretty happy with it; I just wish my headache would go away. I feel hungover, a little too much, "baste, gather, ease and stitch."
Sorry, I can't seem to make it right side up.

gown004.jpg

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
I finally finished my daughter's Christening gown. Who needs anger management classes when you can just sew! I'm pretty happy with it; I just wish my headache would go away. I feel hungover, a little too much, "baste, gather, ease and stitch."
Sorry, I can't seem to make it right side up.
All that pain was worth it. It's beautiful!!!

Inky

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:

MarieAnne, it is lovely and what a beautiful heirloom you have created. All those efforts will be handed down - you should include a little note with the dress explaining your efforts and feelings while you created it, and a photo of your daughter wearing it, when you pack it away for future generations of your family!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Thank you so much girls! I will definitely have to include a note when I put the dress away. Right now I am just trying to sum up the courage to start the bonnet. I'm hoping to find a nice wooden chest to keep it in. Could the wood affect the dress over a long period of time? I'll have to do some research on long term storage for clothing.

Inky

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Thank you so much girls! I will definitely have to include a note when I put the dress away. Right now I am just trying to sum up the courage to start the bonnet. I'm hoping to find a nice wooden chest to keep it in. Could the wood affect the dress over a long period of time? I'll have to do some research on long term storage for clothing.

I would not store it directly in a wooden box, but use an archival quality box/tissue papers, and even the paper and ink you use for the note, if you want real long-term safety. Something like these.

Rachael

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:

I was discussing this the other night with my partner in crime. I find that if you go by the waist measurement the garment will be huge, since they seem to allow for a huge amount of ease. I generally buy for the bust size then alter the waist if needed, which it rarely is. Also, take note of the actual size markings on the pattern pieces, generally on the bodice front piece, and pick the size that works best for you and the amount of wearing ease you want for that garment. If I went by the standard chart for my waist size, I should be wearing a 16. But I go by the bust, and make a 10 or 12.

Recently I encountered a 'fitted' dress pattern that allowed 8" wearing ease at the waist [huh] . How that is 'fitted' is beyond me. Good thing it was a repro and a multi-size pattern so I didn't have to draft down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner