Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
On another board, we do sew-alongs by choosing a specific start and finish date, posting pics of pattern and fabric on or before the start date, posting progress reports, then post pics of the finished garments on the finish date. The idea is that having a deadline and other people with you will help you achieve your goal. This sounds like a great thing for an apron because for me, at least, I hate spending sewing time on something I won't wear out of the house. Doing a sew-along will make apron sewing more fun by sharing with others.

sounds a great idea!
i need an apron...welll be nice to have a femine one for in the house...ive loads of chef aprons for work...like you kamikat i have stains down most of my clothes from cookin and cleaning at home....:eusa_doh:

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Anyone want to do an apron sew-along? I just went through my winter clothes and all my tops have bleach and/or cooking and coffee stains. I need more aprons and I need to wear them all the time!
I'm in! I'm still a total beginner and I need to practice. This reminds me, I never posted the first thing I made:
3930511419_17a5be1631.jpg

(just the apron)

Blondie

Practically Family
Lauren ~ I am in total awe of your sewing talent, those jeans are fabulous
and your yellow and blue blouse with the rickrack is too cute.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lauren, the jeans look great.

When sewing jeans, I always did the top-stitching on the outside seam while they were flat (before sewing inner leg seam). I wouldn't attempt it after the legs were sewn.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, gals!
Tourbillion, I wasn't sure how to do it since the originals I based them off of had topstitching both on the inside and outside leg. I'd love to hear if you have a better technique, as it would save a lot of headache!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks so much! Yeah- I'm the same way. For some reason making big floofy historic gowns is a piece of cake but making a pair of jeans is a nightmare. Go figure. Hehe. To each their own, I suppose!
In case anyone else was considering making a vintage style pair I just posted close up shots of my original vintage pair here on my blog.

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Thanks, gals!
Tourbillion, I wasn't sure how to do it since the originals I based them off of had topstitching both on the inside and outside leg. I'd love to hear if you have a better technique, as it would save a lot of headache!

Lauren, I was interested in the topstitching question you brought up, so I did a little asking around at work today - and I haven't yet been able to find a good answer to how major manufacturers do topstitching on the inside and outside. It's a mystery! I think it's a pain for them too, honestly - one gal told me that when she worked at a denim factory that produced for the Gap, they would try to always persuade the designers to eliminate any topstitching on the inside leg. I'll keep asking if there are any secrets, but I think it's just a pain no matter what!! :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren, your jeans are fantastic!
I also do a flat felled seam on both my inseam and outer seams, for comfort. I do the inseam first, seam then topstitching. Then the outerseam. There really is no trick, but I just find that it's worth my time and effort. My skin is sensitive and I get red spots and irritation if I don't do a flat felled seam.

SayCici

Practically Family
Thanks to some ladies that frequent the sewing FAQ thread I can show these off:

3981969523_88a22aaebb.jpg

3982732044_b17ea3a93a.jpg

From a 1930s reproduction pattern. It's actually supposed to have 9 buttons down the skirt, but I accidentally just got the 8. I'll add one eventually lol

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
SayCici said:

From a 1930s reproduction pattern. It's actually supposed to have 9 buttons down the skirt, but I accidentally just got the 8. I'll add one eventually lol
You are adorable and so are the clothes! I'm really really jealous of the suspender skirt, that's something on my to-do list...

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
I'm in! I'm still a total beginner and I need to practice. This reminds me, I never posted the first thing I made:
3930511419_17a5be1631.jpg

(just the apron)

I Love it!!! We should get together and do a sewing project .. we can help eachother out.. cause most of the time im clueless...[huh]

Antje

One Too Many
SayCici said:

You look so cute,
and I wouldn't notice the 9th button

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran