Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Because fashion designers & manufacturers need to make money, and we won't be happy with the same clothes the rest of our lives. ;)

What else can I help you with tonight?

VB

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
A throat latch on a ladies' overcoat? Menswear makers need to take note.
The scarf makers union would disagree.

Vintage Betty - thanks for taking the time to photograph these overcoats.
They are wonderful examples!

Vintage Betty

My pleasure. If nothing else, it's interesting to note the similarities and differences between the men's coats of the various periods. I think the women had much more freedom of design available to them, and the men's overcoats were...constrained.

Thoughts?

VB

Jovan

Suspended
It's that way with all clothing even now, methinks. For better or worse! Hip length jackets are fine... they flatter a woman. Making jacket sleeves 3/4 length? Not so much.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
J Press camel hair polo coat, an Ebay find:

Presspolocoat.jpg

Capt. Harkness

New in Town
I had posted earlier about finding an RAF greatcoat in Vancouver. An afternoon of Downtown browsing landed me with a very nice swiss greatcoat!

Anyone in the area looking for vintage clothing should check out these places:
True Value Vintage- 710 Robson
Cherry Bomb- Granvile St. (800 block), as well as another store two doors to the north of Cherry Bomb (831)

web.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Capt. Harkness said:
I had posted earlier about finding an RAF greatcoat in Vancouver. An afternoon of Downtown browsing landed me with a very nice swiss greatcoat!

Anyone in the area looking for vintage clothing should check out these places:
True Value Vintage- 710 Robson
Cherry Bomb- Granvile St. (800 block), as well as another store two doors to the north of Cherry Bomb (831)

web.jpg

I have that coat.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
jill_jr_coat.jpg
]
jill_jr_coat2.jpg

I love all your coats but especially 1, 5 7 and 10--10 is actually pretty close to my platonic ideal of a vintage overcoat. Thanks for taking the time to do all those photographs--I've saved them all!

benstephens

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
charcoal and white herringbone with muted red overcheck:

checkcoat.jpg

CC41 plain brown tweed:

browncoat.jpg

The top coat is probably the nicest overcoat I have ever seen.

The brown tweed one is very nice. I have a single breated in a very similar tweed, however, I think I prefer the double breasted.

Ben

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks Ben, that's praise indeed coming from someone who has such an enviable collection of clothes.

( i hope we have REALLY cold weather this year, as these are both so heavy they don't get as much use as i'd like ).

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
As promised, a few of my favorites.

I have been through many overcoats in my day. They are often so cheap and easy to find, they came and went. But they tend to be pretty ordinary, so when you find a good one, you hold onto it.

here are the ones I now onw that I think are worth sharing.

Cream thirties coat from Jack Bell, Plaza hotel Hollywood. Mother of pearl buttons, unusual vents in the back. Bought it from La Rosa on haight street. Cost two hundred bucks which seemed a fortune and a fortune to pay for anything vintage back then, but I knew it was worth it. Still have never found a hat that goes with it. It makes tans look grey, but too tanish to go with white. Used to wear it over my belted back white suit. new years eve in Sf on the oat they have docked in Oakland. Every head in the place turned when I walked in. A little big on me, but I don't care.

sellfedoralounge077.jpg

sellfedoralounge079.jpg

sellfedoralounge058.jpg

sellfedoralounge057.jpg

Secondly, not that spectacular, but nice looking grey wool. What makes it uniue is no buttons, just the belt. There was a thread on this I posted this in. Very unusual and always makes me feel dashing and devil may care.

sellfedoralounge056.jpg

Thirdly, more late forties or fifties, more casual. I usually wear it when I wear fifties suits and sportcoats.

sellfedoralounge059.jpg

Hope you like.

Vintage Betty

My newest overcoat. An absolute perfect fit for me. It could have been made for me personally. Details regarding this purchase can be found here:

Perfect 1930's style with heavily padded shoulders; love the attached, but removable over-yoke of shiny black PERSIAN lamb. The coat buttons and snaps in front and is belted with a large silver tone buckle. Lined in rich black silk satin.

overcoat10a.jpg

overcoat10b.jpg

overcoat10c.jpg

overcoat10d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy