Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Any thoughts?
IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2554.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg
IMG_2567.jpg

This is an incredible piece at any price. At $15, it's unfathomable :eeek:. Congratulations, I'm more than greeeen with envy.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Look on the bright side, Spitfire - the website will no longer have to say "Not in Stock" because there will now be one in inventory.

The write-up on the site is good, even if the coat isn't.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I don’t remember if I ever shared this one or not. This one is my absolute favorite! I was lucky enough to get this on ebay for $15! If I remember correctly, it was a 3-day auction and very poorly described. I think it said something like "old coat". It is a golden herringbone with orange pinstripes. This is a very heavy coat and bears a “Richman’s Clothes. Made in Cleveland” label. Judging by the material, the cut and the label, I’m guessing very late 1920’s or very early 1930’s. This is an earlier label that pre-dates the relatively abundant “Richman Brothers” label. The question is when did they switch from this label? Anyone? I have found that Richman Brothers ads from 1920, 1924 and 1926 use both “Richman Brothers” and “Richman’s Clothes” in the very same ads. I have included the one from 1924, which shows us some coats. Any thoughts?

Beautiful overcoat and a steal at $15. I find it rather difficult to date, though. That Richman's Clothes label I haven't seen before.

The most common Richman Bros. labels from the golden era seems to be this one:

_medium_vintagefashionguild_106768.jpg

(1937 - The only label the Vintage Fashion Guild has in its database)

richman-40's.jpg

(1940's)
Seems to be difficult to find reliable information about early Richman Bros.- and what's there is sometimes rather inconsistent. According to one source, for example, they sold all their suits for $10 until 1939 - but all the 1920's ads I've seen so far advertise ALL their clothes - suits, overcoats, tuxedos - at $22.50.

Richman's-Clothes--June-13-1924.jpg

(June 13, 1924)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have a couple of these and have seen many more - it was a very common pattern in the 1940s/50s. I've heard them called "city coats". Burtons seem to have made a lot of them, or at least the ones still in circulation. One of mine is dated 1949 on the tailors label, which is probably about right date for yours. It would be unusual for it to have no label, look for stitch marks where a label has been removed, for example inside top of the internal pocket.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Hey Spitfire,

Stiff upper lip!

I don't know what their overall quality is like, but Replicaters.com say that they will soon be offering RAF WW2 greatcoat replicas. You could maybe send them an email and see if they were planning on using the same supplier, although they say they do their own in-house dyeing so maybe not?

http://www.replicaters.com/ww2rafuniforms.html

Best of luck.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Beautiful overcoat and a steal at $15. I find it rather difficult to date, though. That Richman's Clothes label I haven't seen before.

The most common Richman Bros. labels from the golden era seems to be this one:

_medium_vintagefashionguild_106768.jpg

(1937 - The only label the Vintage Fashion Guild has in its database)

richman-40's.jpg

(1940's)
Seems to be difficult to find reliable information about early Richman Bros.- and what's there is sometimes rather inconsistent. According to one source, for example, they sold all their suits for $10 until 1939 - but all the 1920's ads I've seen so far advertise ALL their clothes - suits, overcoats, tuxedos - at $22.50

[/CENTER]

Another from '37
IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Dinerman, I'll save that to my collection of photos.

Come to think of it: maybe I just haven't found it yet but do we have some kind of database of all the different lables and tags of vintage clothing vendors/manufacturers?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of these and have seen many more - it was a very common pattern in the 1940s/50s. I've heard them called "city coats". Burtons seem to have made a lot of them, or at least the ones still in circulation. One of mine is dated 1949 on the tailors label, which is probably about right date for yours. It would be unusual for it to have no label, look for stitch marks where a label has been removed, for example inside top of the internal pocket.

Thanks. I was working along the lines of late 40s early 50s, so that seems to confirm my view. I've seen similar coats that date back to the 30s but the condition of this one seems too good. I checked to see if a label had been removed but couldn't see anything - mind you, it was in rather bad light. I will have to check again.

Cheers

(P.S. good choices of pseudonym and photo)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hey Spitfire,

Stiff upper lip!

I don't know what their overall quality is like, but Replicaters.com say that they will soon be offering RAF WW2 greatcoat replicas. You could maybe send them an email and see if they were planning on using the same supplier, although they say they do their own in-house dyeing so maybe not?

http://www.replicaters.com/ww2rafuniforms.html

Best of luck.

Only one problem: I have never heard any positive remarks on replicaters.com

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Got this Dunn& Co yesterday at a vintage event, not sure of age but the hanger says 'Made in Gt Britain', it's in very good condition but has lost it's buckle and both pocket linings need re-stitching other than that it looks at least to my eye pretty unworn;
15yyesi.jpg
qwzg2o.jpg
erzxqq.jpg
vqtcap.jpg
ab09yu.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I had been looking for a size 42" overcoat for a while, first I found a double breasted 1970's affair in a grey bold check, then the 'grey' herringbone double breasted one above, then came this one which I saw the other day in a local charity shop where I often visit.
It's nothing special really but it fits me exactly over a sports coat or suit jacket, I nearly didn't buy it and popped back a couple of days later to see if it was still there and here it is, a CO OP wool mix 3 button c 1970's? but nice enough and well made with no tears splits or marks anywhere;
2qch5cz.jpg
2mpcwoo.jpg
35iaw6x.jpg
5y9axl.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
On returning to see if the above was still there I found this one sitting behind it and fresh on the shelf, a John Collier with 'MILIUM' lining first released in Milwaukee in 1950 as a revolutionary lightweight material to line coats etc in, here's the link to an article I found http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...mAaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4iMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4685,6196213
This coat is in exceptional condition and appears unworn, again in 42"
9vl5iu.jpg
206cx13.jpg

the material has a definate blue tinge to it
1z4v3sz.jpg
nybptg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo