Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I was looking over my browser's bookmarks list and came across this page, Gaziano Girling, a London shoe manufacturer and merchant. Now I remember why I bookmarked it!
At roughly US$1200, I won't be ordering a pair, but if a pair showed up on my doorstep from an anonymous benefactor, I'd wear them next summer!

st-ives-vintage-cedar-ivory-suede.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I was looking over my browser's bookmarks list and came across this page, Gaziano Girling, a London shoe manufacturer and merchant. Now I remember why I bookmarked it!
At roughly US$1200, I won't be ordering a pair, but if a pair showed up on my doorstep from an anonymous benefactor, I'd wear them next summer!

Girlings are a nice looking shoe. I would presume if a person wore them sparingly, they would not wear out super fast, good quality in the shoe. That price however, would make me take the time to look into another pair of Vass MTO or maybe even St. Crispin?

Look at these rascals.....and then look at other VASS for sale from the same seller on eBay. Almost every pair are not as much as the Girling shoes, and have to say, the VASS shoes are heavier made shoes, will for sure last a long time and are mostly made to order.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VT524-Vas...-Oxblood-Calf-Navy-Suede-K-Last-/171950137623

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
With a closet full of shoes (and more in boxes stuffed under my bed), I'm not really in the market for any more (especially in the price range of $850 +). If I were, the eBay site didn't seem to offer anything big enough for my dogs. Nice shoes, though.

FF; very nice. not good for the NYC slush right now but perfect for the spring.
goodness i want some proper seal vellies right now, the Rand is so low, but need to fit my 10EE flippers.
therefore some Roamer Leonards
British g width
as rec'vd b4 polished
Thank you and, agreed, right now they are tucked away in their little shoe bags (with cedar trees) and won't come out until slush is all gone. I like the Chukkas pictured.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
With a closet full of shoes (and more in boxes stuffed under my bed), I'm not really in the market for any more (especially in the price range of $850 +). If I were, the eBay site didn't seem to offer anything big enough for my dogs. Nice shoes, though.
Oh my, what size do you wear?

My Husband normally would wear a 10 1/2, but now due to his medical conditions, his feet swell, so he needs a larger 11D or more. We do have a few pairs that are size 12 that are a smaller size 12 then normal.

Due to some pairs sold by the person on eBay are at times listed as MTO, that person can take an order and have exactly what size you want and even some variety in materials and the "last" style you would want. I purchased for my Husband a package deal about two or three years ago from them, 3 pairs of shoes for what I think was around $2,000.00 and it was well worth buying them. They fit a bit tight now, but I have this shoe stretcher that made them fit perfectly again.

I sure know all about the show bug, like the hat bug...seems you just never have enough pairs. Haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you and, agreed, right now they are tucked away in their little shoe bags (with cedar trees) and won't come out until slush is all gone. I like the Chukkas pictured.
I can hardly see the soles of those, but if they are a off white foamy type of rubber, there is a product you can use to keep them conditioned and retain the color. It is mostly used on expensive Nike type shoes, but works well on any shoe with a rubber bottom.
http://www.xgear101.com/Magic-Sole-Sauce-4oz-Kit-4oz-Kit.htm?gclid=CKyD7prKzMoCFQqPaQod2h4EDQ

I can hardly see the soles of those, but if they are a off white foamy type of rubber, there is a product you can use to keep them conditioned and retain the color. It is mostly used on expensive Nike type shoes, but works well on any shoe with a rubber bottom.
http://www.xgear101.com/Magic-Sole-Sauce-4oz-Kit-4oz-Kit.htm?gclid=CKyD7prKzMoCFQqPaQod2h4EDQ

Thank you for the advice. The soles are the red rubber ones that most bucks have - although, these have more tread than the standard buck. My concern with slush is the suede upper - even with silicone, they will not survive the current river of filth that are the curbs of Manhattan. I don't mind, I have a good pair of Bean boots for the slush and these J.Crew's will come out once the slush is gone.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for the advice. The soles are the red rubber ones that most bucks have - although, these have more tread than the standard buck. My concern with slush is the suede upper - even with silicone, they will not survive the current river of filth that are the curbs of Manhattan. I don't mind, I have a good pair of Bean boots for the slush and these J.Crew's will come out once the slush is gone.
For the suede you can buy a good cleaner from Saphir it works super and is not too much money, and then also a spot cleaner I have loved using. DYO Spot remover. If you cannot find it, let me know I can ship a bottle to you. The Saphir is like a shampoo to get suede clean in general and use a suede brush on those rascals, but to really clean them the Saphir is great. For any bad spots or dirt, this spot remover works without destroying the suede. I use it on white suede and have been able to even get black ink from a ball point pen out.

For the suede you can buy a good cleaner from Saphir it works super and is not too much money, and then also a spot cleaner I have loved using. DYO Spot remover. If you cannot find it, let me know I can ship a bottle to you. The Saphir is like a shampoo to get suede clean in general and use a suede brush on those rascals, but to really clean them the Saphir is great. For any bad spots or dirt, this spot remover works without destroying the suede. I use it on white suede and have been able to even get black ink from a ball point pen out.

LMM, you are too nice - thank you so much for the generous offer, but I looked both up on line and they are now sitting in my Amazon cart to be ordered. I have an old pair of bucks that will be perfect to try them out on. Best, FF

ingineer

One Too Many
and some new LL Bean mocs for " house shoes" doesn't everybody need something to take out the garbage?
EE width, no breaking in.heavy leather

and some stuff from LuvMM recommendation?
love her positive spirit, God bless you

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
and some new LL Bean mocs for " house shoes" doesn't everybody need something to take out the garbage?
EE width, no breaking in.heavy leather

and some stuff from LuvMM recommendation?
love her positive spirit, God bless you

You have good stuff to take care of those Rascals for sure! HA! The BICK 1 Products are made by Cadillac company, and of course if you can use some Caddy conditioner it will soak in deep and soften up the leather. That magic sole sauce product works well on rubber bottoms of any shoe, boat shoe, tennis shoe, etc. to clean them and keep the rubber the original leather, (off white, white, etc.) The leather honey is a good product for giving a shoe or boot some barrier against nasty weather conditions and does help condition leather.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I usually wear US 13 EEE.

I'll pray for you....hahahah HOHOH! Just joking!

It is not easy to find larger good decent deals on vintage in your size, however, I will keep you in mind if I do. I spend a ton of time on the computer, working and at the same time looking at hats and shoes and anything else that I may desire to buy my Husband, so if I see any great deals on anything vintage I will let you know. If I had anything in your size now, I'd just ship it to you but alas...not anything that big!
LMM, you are too nice - thank you so much for the generous offer, but I looked both up on line and they are now sitting in my Amazon cart to be ordered. I have an old pair of bucks that will be perfect to try them out on. Best, FF

One thing about suede, the small white stiff suede brush should be used after each time you wear a suede shoe regardless if you think it needs it or not. Just a few minutes on each shoe will help them out greatly. Suede can last a real long time. Old vintage suede can be fully "lubricated" and bounce right back to life IF done slowly and from the inside of the shoe with a thin light coat of conditioner applied, let it dry and then apply it again, doing that a few times to not soak the suede but to allow it to slowly absorb the conditioner. I only will recommend the Cadillac for this process OR a very light amount of the thinner LEXOL. Most conditioners have wax in them. Wax will make suede get dark and clumpy and act as a catalyst for dirt and grim and grease, to cling to. We have suede shoes here that are almost 85 years old, and are still looking very nice. My husband wears one pair of suede shoes a few times a week in the summer (all suede wholecut hand made by Grenson) and as he would always keep on top of keeping the brushed and clean, and even using a polish and sealer on the leather soles, they looked new even after a few years of wearing them. So now I have to do what he was doing, his health is not so good and he has super bad tremors in his hands. I've learned from him what and how to take care of shoes, hats, how to iron better than what I used to iron, how to hand wash and clean clothing, socks, even sports jackets! Our attire is an investment and certainly worth the time to care for it.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
OH yes..one more tip about suede...NEVER use that "eraser" that can come with a suede brush. You do not want to SAND down suede to make it appear clean...suede will not take that much erasing...makes it thin out far too fast...(we learned the hard way about it...hahah)! The suede brush is like a hat brush...use it often and it will help keep things clean!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201388078501?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Here for you and your size, yes..these are FootJoy Golf Shoes. Best deal yet! Why? They are fully lined with a padded leather (smoothest glove leather you'll ever feel on your footsies) HAha! And for about $100.00 you can have the current soles removed to get rid of the golf spike sole, and the metal connection plate under the soles, have some cork placed in and a brand new Oak Tanned sole for long lasting wear! You would simply LOVE wearing those shoes. And if the all white look bothers you....you can use a dark cream polish after using some tape to protect any place you want to keep white, and color these simply with a few good coats of polish....lets say Navy Blue? Grey? Brown Sugar? By the time you would apply enough color, and shine, they would look super nice and have an all custom look to them. If these were a smaller size, I would have already purchased without hesitation.

OH yes..one more tip about suede...NEVER use that "eraser" that can come with a suede brush. You do not want to SAND down suede to make it appear clean...suede will not take that much erasing...makes it thin out far too fast...(we learned the hard way about it...hahah)! The suede brush is like a hat brush...use it often and it will help keep things clean!
I viewed your post on restoring vintage leather shoes and was amazed. You are genius approaching alchemy! I take good care of my shoes and boots using the time to clean and shine almost as a meditative practice. It is as therapeutic for me as it is the shoes. But I have never seen or even thought possible to accomplish what you do with seemingly ruined leather shoes.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I viewed your post on restoring vintage leather shoes and was amazed. You are genius approaching alchemy! I take good care of my shoes and boots using the time to clean and shine almost as a meditative practice. It is as therapeutic for me as it is the shoes. But I have never seen or even thought possible to accomplish what you do with seemingly ruined leather shoes.
Most of what I do is learned from my Husband. His entire life he has had expensive clothing and shoes. His learning on what works on shoes was a long journey for him, trying products to see what they do and then observing the shoes over the years to see how well they lasted, or did not last. STAY away from the normal shoe "stuff" as far as conditioners go...Kiwi makes a great wax polish...but their conditioner is junky. Never use Kiwi on exotic leather. But you can use it on any smooth or pebble grain. It will shine as good as most anything else. But to date, the "ultra shine" we have had is from Saphir brand.

As to the conditioner, Cadillac. That in itself and of course Saphir products along with Kiwi or Meltonian, and Angelos, has all made us know what to use on some leather and not to use. Cadillac leaves a nicer surface on the results than Lexol. Lexol (their thin conditioner) is made from processed animal brains. Yep. That's right! It is sticky and not very pleasant to work with. BUT it does soak in fairly fast. It can be used for the initial soaking of dry leather if you know you are going to have to use a ton of Cadillac on a pair of shoes or boots, or when you have no choice (out of Cadillac...bummer)! HA! AND Cadillac is safe to use on almost anything. Croc or Alligator is good for use of Cadillac BUT not like regular leather as you have to use Reptan from Caddy or the membrane between the plates of the Croc or Alligator will get too loose and moist and may "peel" out on you. Normal shoe polish of any kind can dry and damage Croc or Alligator. SO...when you want to polish after use of conditioners, the best results would be a thin application of the Saphir Wax polish that comes in a can/tin. And you must be gentle when polishing Alligator/Croc. Saphir Reptan is thick and like a pudding. You use it THIN. As thin as you can spread it out. The jar it comes in does not have a lot of product in it, and as it works well as long as you leave it on over night, you do not need but a very slight DAB of it.

I also will take any Alligator/Croc shoes or boots out and apply the Saphir Reptan on them every three months even if the shoes or boots have not been worn. WHY? To keep them from getting dried out! A few thin coats of Reptan (some times it is labeled Milk, Reptan Milk) made by Saphir, applied and left on over night. You do not need to wash or remove old polish if you leave the Reptan on over night. (If your shoes or boots are really dirty then you wipe with cold water and a clean rag or spray a reptile shoe/boot cleaner on them). Fiebings makes a great cleaner and conditioner for exotic leathers but it is only good for cleaning as it has some petroleum in it, so conditioning on top of that product is a must.

We here also have always rotated what we wear shoe wise. I have some fantastic shoes (most of them Daniel purchased for me) and as we both rotate what we wear, our shoes are still looking close to new!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21