Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

Edward

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
Edward, you must have a terrible time finding hats to fit.

Not at all, the horns are retractable. Maybe though instead of seeking out hats with wind trollies, I should just keep the horns out and cut a couple of small holes in the brim.... that should hold it in place. lol

CharlestonBows: Those Jay Pratts look lovely, especially the double-breasted model (in black it is, from memory, very remisicent of one that Raul Julia wore in one (both?) of the Addams Family films from the early 90s. Good prices too.... I may well take advantage of the strong pound vs dollar there....

Edbrown - I've seen your site before. Those jackets are beautiful indeed - the burgundy model is the very archetype of what the words "smoking jacket" conjure up in my mind. [sigh] One day... [/sigh]

Edward said:
CharlestonBows: Those Jay Pratts look lovely, especially the double-breasted model (in black it is, from memory, very remisicent of one that Raul Julia wore in one (both?) of the Addams Family films from the early 90s. Good prices too.... I may well take advantage of the strong pound vs dollar there....

You can't beat half price, right?

Edward

Bartender
CharlestonBows said:
You can't beat half price, right?

Certainly not! :) I've finally got my broadband at home alomst sortd (just waiting for the new provider's wireless hub to arrive....) then it's off to ebay with the pile of stuff I have to sell. If I can make enough to pick up one of these on top of a quality A", well...... then it'll be a tough cohice between the green and the burgundy. I think the green might *just* win out, leaving the burgundy colour for something like those gorgeous ones on Ed Brown's site, one day....

panamag8or

Practically Family
I inherited this from my Grandfather:

asmokingjacket.jpg

There is much more detail than the flash allows you to see. Truly a retro look, and it fits perfectly. It came with tuxedo pants, that you can see in the photo.

I just don't know the maker. I can't even find a care label on it. If anyone could help me identify the maker through this label, I would really appreciate it.
asmokinjacketlabel.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also all over Latin America.

BellyTank said:
Guess what?
In most of Northern Europe, a Tuxedo is called "Smoking", yes, the English word.
So on an invitation, it might mention "Smoking" as the dress code.
This could easily cause confusion between Smoking jackets and Tux's.
Tank.
That is what they call a tuxedo (not white tie and tails, but a normal, dinner-jacket style tux).
Very confusing!
I always think of "smoking jackets" as being the short version of a dressing gown (that is the proper terminology for a fancy robe BTW), and those velvet blazers? All they say to me is 1970s disco. I have yet to see a blazer in velvet or velveteen from the pre-WWII era, maybe they made them in the 50s and beyond? Since I hate the 50s with a passion, I have no idea.
Also , it looks to me as though Cary is not wearing a smoking jacket in the end-of-movie shot. Probably the character didn't know earlier in the film, that he would be seen daytime and outside smoking - and Cary Grant was far too correct a dresser to ever be seen in the wrong thing at the wrong time. So he is wearing a sport coat.
I still like the longer version better - here's mi amor in his dressing gown, on the Queen mary... yes, i bought it for him, and the pajamas! Now I need to find him the right slippers...
l_23020395b0fbf762820ce236ed7b04ad.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
That is what they call a tuxedo (not white tie and tails, but a normal, dinner-jacket style tux).
Very confusing!
I always think of "smoking jackets" as being the short version of a dressing gown (that is the proper terminology for a fancy robe BTW), and those velvet blazers? All they say to me is 1970s disco. I have yet to see a blazer in velvet or velveteen from the pre-WWII era, maybe they made them in the 50s and beyond? Since I hate the 50s with a passion, I have no idea.
Also , it looks to me as though Cary is not wearing a smoking jacket in the end-of-movie shot. Probably the character didn't know earlier in the film, that he would be seen daytime and outside smoking - and Cary Grant was far too correct a dresser to ever be seen in the wrong thing at the wrong time. So he is wearing a sport coat.
I still like the longer version better - here's mi amor in his dressing gown, on the Queen mary... yes, i bought it for him, and the pajamas! Now I need to find him the right slippers...
l_23020395b0fbf762820ce236ed7b04ad.jpg

That is a nice gown. I love the braiding detail on the sleeves and round the lapels / edging.

Miss 1929 said:
... and those velvet blazers? All they say to me is 1970s disco. I have yet to see a blazer in velvet or velveteen from the pre-WWII era, maybe they made them in the 50s and beyond?

The inimitable Mr. Fairbanks & The Duchess of Kent
(Also note the mongrammed formal slippers - very cool.
fairbanks.gif

panamag8or

Practically Family
Dinerman said:

That's the same label as my "national".
Also looks like the same cut, but in different fabric.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, thanks!

However "national" makes it nearly impossible to search on google.:mad: But, at least it's a clue.

BTW: when are you going to hit up some Florida diners? I have a good place for you to visit here.

KCE

New in Town
CharlestonBows said:
Has anyone mentioned Jay Pratt?

I've got one from my own joint in blue velvet, and I have one in black velvet from Jay Pratts. Not terribly expensive, and not bad make, either.

Did anyone else notice that the smoking jackets available from Jay Pratt appear to be based on those offered by Pakeman, but at half the price? The pictures and descriptions are almost identical. Very strange.

Edward

Bartender
KCE said:
Did anyone else notice that the smoking jackets available from Jay Pratt appear to be based on those offered by Pakeman, but at half the price? The pictures and descriptions are almost identical. Very strange.

Not strange at all. The Pakeman site is based in the UK, whereas Jay Pratt is US based. It would be more of a departure from the overriding norm if the same product from the UK site was not twice the US price. :rage:

PeterM

New in Town
I would advise against ordering a smoking jacket from Jay Pratts, for the simple reason that I ordered one myself and never received it.

There were several red flags I encountered during the whole process of ordering, but the near-unobtainability of smoking jackets nowadays made me ignore every one. The prominent use of paypal, rather than credit card, for example.

Also, the lack of contact information. The "Contact" menu option brings up a form where you can enter in your own personal information and submit a message. That's it.

So I went ahead and used paypal to order a Riverbanks smoking jacket. The paypal confirmation listed the recipient as "Jayson Rivera". Not "Jay Pratts", or "Jay Pratts, Inc.". A couple of weeks went by, I e-mailed "Jay Pratts" (or whoever) asking about the status of my order and received no reply. So I disputed the charge on paypal, and paypal eventually ruled in my favor when they too received no reply. Unfortunately they didn't return my money, as they informed me that the funds were unavailable in "Jay Pratts" account. I've since discovered that the paypal option has been removed from the Jay Pratts website.

So I registered a complaint with the South Florida Better Business Bureau. Why South Florida? Because the whois information for the domain jaypratts.com gave the following data:

Registrant:
Jayson Rivera
101 Antiquera Ave
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: JAYPRATTS.COM
Created on: 29-Jan-07
Expires on: 29-Jan-08
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Rivera, Jayson jay@showcase-mdc.com
101 Antiquera Ave
United States
(305) 972-7516

Technical Contact:
Rivera, Jayson jay@showcase-mdc.com
101 Antiquera Ave
United States
(305) 972-7516

The Better Business Bureau also received no response to my complaint.

So what have I learned from this? Pay attention to those red flags. Don't ever use paypal for large purchases if you don't know or trust the merchant.

If there are people on this forum who have successfully used Jay Pratts to obtain a smoking jacket, I congratulate you. You did better than me.

-Peter.

PeterM said:
I would advise against ordering a smoking jacket from Jay Pratts, for the simple reason that I ordered one myself and never received it.

If there are people on this forum who have successfully used Jay Pratts to obtain a smoking jacket, I congratulate you. You did better than me.

-Peter.

That's truly shameful. I hate to hear about things like that -- it's stories like those that make people think that all clothiers are shysters. I'll ask around and see what that's all about.

PeterM said:
So what have I learned from this? Pay attention to those red flags. Don't ever use paypal for large purchases if you don't know or trust the merchant.

Indeed an unfortunate expereince. We usually find the problem the other way and have to be careful to check credit card details so we don't lose money.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this nice vintage monogramed jacket today at little thrift store just down the street from where I work. There was a nice snowfall so might as well get my picture taken out in it...

I cost me $2.25.

1-23.jpg
[/IMG]

3-14.jpg
[/IMG]

4-11.jpg
[/IMG]

Edward

Bartender
Yes, in the long term I really want the burgundy one.... (if only it wasn't the price of an A2, but oh well!!). I did very much fancy the green and the black DBs in the Jay Pratts line (bearing in mind they're half the price of the UK source for the same jackets), but I've been scared off by the flagged issues here. As soon as funds allow, a short smoking jacket will be my default option at home. I do have three beautiful vintage items: one heavy wool dressing gown, one 60s Tootal cotton light dressing gown, and this one:

Uploaded18June2007001.jpg

1960s deadstock, never worn. I'm not a fan of sixties styles as a rule, but both of my sixties gowns are reflective of much earlier style. The wool dressing gown I have no photos of as of yet, but i bought it on eBay from a seller who believed it to have belonged to "my Grandma's brother." It's very definitely thirties in style. Needs hemmed before i use it as the bottom is a raw edge - maybe cut a bit shorter for someone than the original length?

All of these are longer length gowns, ideal for wear with pyjamas, but a shorter gown for wearing during the day (or when one has guests at home in black tie) while one is dressed is desirable.

ProfessorShak

New in Town
Hey Gang,

Been searching the site and couldn't find anything on the subject. My wife REALLY wants me to get a smoking jacket similar to the one used by Hugh Hefner. I've found a version of his jacket online, but that's more of a costume piece and I'd rather have something genuine or authenitic. Anyone know a good solid place to obtain one?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass