Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soda Pop.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For those of us with $35,000 to spare, you can buy the original Armstrong painting!

Ah, it's all just friendly banter! But seriously, my family was shocked when we moved to Arizona and everyone said 'pop'. We just couldn’t bring ourselves to join the trend!

But by the same token, the New England accent everyone said I had made people comment on my pronunciation of the words 'tomorrow' and 'borrow' (with a long 'O', instead of 'tamorrow', etc.) But I digress...and post a picture of a 1940s soda fountain (which I think might be an early photo of my beloved soda fountain MacAlpine's):

jn%20soda%20fountain.jpg

shamus

Suspended
I actually went through the whole what do you call it thing as a kid. I grew up in ohio/penn where it's pop... then moved to missouri where it's a coke, soda, sodie pop. Then back to ohio area.. again pop.. then to California where it's soda...

I just ask for water with a lemon now.. it's sooo much easier....

Geez, I never really took notice around here. For me it was just 7UP. ;) Then there is the Cactus Cooler and Fanta Pineapple (this was before the cheesy commercials where it is associated with the least good looking women in a strange get up). I used to work for Coca Cola in the parts department---yeah the line needs parts replaced. :p
When you really think that Coca Cola could have bought Pepsi for almost nothing about seventy years ago; that was the stupidest move they ever made. Can you say competition? :p

Regards to all,

J

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I thought I read somewhere that the competition between Coke and Pepsi was beneficial to both? Man, now I have to dig that up...

jake431

Practically Family
BixChix26 said:
Soda? We call it "pop" here in the great midwest --

any Green River fans out there???

Hell yeah! I love Green River. I mentioned it earlier but I love it so much I'll post it again!

-Jake

IndianaGuybrush said:
I thought I read somewhere that the competition between Coke and Pepsi was beneficial to both? Man, now I have to dig that up...

Let's see if I were a business, and I am, would I want to leave a competitor out there who could eat my lunch or would I buy them for a pitance and either throw away the recipe or manufacture it myself? Hmmm.... I think I would want to corner as much of the market as possible and dominate it as long as possible---until the government came and wanted to steal it from me, regulate it or try to break up my business because I am a monopoly. :p
If I left it hang out there and it came back to bite me and my market share then I would kick myself time after time. ;) Especially if the guy tried to sell his company to me. He was right there in the Coca Cola office begging them to buy it and get him out of debt---History Channel a few months ago. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
I think it just has to do with where you work Root... I think that if you worked at Taco Bell you would think that everyone calls soda Pepsi.

Ok, you know it's REAL funny, but I made mention that when people aske for coke I tell them that we have Pepsi! we only have Pepsi at Taco Lita! So, I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Root.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Taco Lita

Oh you are a cruel one! Mentioning Taco Lita...mmmmmm :)

They have the best bean and cheese burritos....with all the unmelted yet melted cheese.

To keep this even remotely on topic...they also have very nice cherry soda...or they used to....

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I'll be working at Taco Lita till Saturday then off to a new Job! It was fun for a wile and they do have good food. We just have plane old cherry pepsi there.

Didn't know there was any one here that knew what Taco Lita was!

Root.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in Mon-Arc....of course I know what it is ;)

I live in downtown LA now...so a bit far to go for a burrito. Although my mother still lives there, but never seem to remember while I am visiting her.

Funnily enough, I hate pepsi and cherry.....but somehow have always liked the cheery soda at Taco Lita.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You used to live in the Monrovia/Arcadia area? Crazy! Small world it is.

Well, try and find your way over to T.L. this week before I finish up there.

LA isn't that far from Arcadia. I drive to LA ever so oft.

Keeping with the soda thread, here is a great photo of an old gas station that was built in 1924 and that burned down in 1933 :cry:

The building is a big NEHI bottle!

nehibottle.jpg

Root.

BixChix26

New in Town
green river redux

Shamus,

Green River is a kind of lime? (I guess) flavored pop that originated in the '20s (I believe) -- it is beginning to make a reappearance, at least in the Midwest, at hot dog stands. Used to be available in bottles and as a fountain drink.

Another Chicago favorite -- Nedlog orange pop and a Chicago-style hotdog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran