Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soda Pop.

Elaina

One Too Many
My Yankee husband calls it "pop" I call it soda or more colloquially "coke" even though I drink (diet) Dr. Pepper. When I moved from Oklahoma to Texas, I moved to Waco where it was "Sodie water".

Pepsi Jazz takes like carbonated eggnog. Which is okay if I wanted a carbonated eggnog, but I really like my soda to be soda.

I buy a lot of soda, I just don't drink alot of soda. I drink about 4 cans a month. Usually with pizza or Mexican food. Mostly I get things like Orange and Root Beer, and I buy off store brands, but Shasta still makes the best root beer ever, tastes better then A&W and just as much as if it was draft. And because I drink mostly diet soda, R.C. Cola makes the bet tasting diet anything.

I am not a connoisseur of soda. It's like chocolate: I don't really like it, but there's times I want some. Coffee drinks, now, I can discuss these until the cows come home and ask for their cokes.

olive bleu

One Too Many
we have a wonderful company here "Propeller" That makes great old -fashioned natural sodas: Orange, Root beer, Cream soda & Ginger beer
orangeBottle.gif

they also make some pretty fine micro-brewed beers:)

beerstore_r2_c1.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
i grew up calling it pop( or as they called it in Newfoundland, "Drink":rolleyes:
That all changed when i married my Yankee husband who gave me a whoopin' if i called it anything but Soda:D

Elaina

One Too Many
Olive you got it wrong, darlin'. You're supposed to implant them to where you grew up and make them wake up in the morning and say "ya know Ah don' wanna go ta werk today. That damn dawg kept me uhwake all n-eye-t" (Trnaslation: "You know I don't want to go to work today. That dog kep me away all night") then have them deny it when they do wake up fully.

I like greasy spoons. First time I took him to a local one, he asked for a pop and the waitress spoke in an accent that was so thick a knife wouldn't have dented it and said "What? I can't hit my customers."

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I call them all "coke" now as well.My preference is for Coca-Cola,but I'll occasionally crave an I.B.C. root beer or Orange Crush.

What greasy spoons do you like Elaina?
One of our favorites is the Norma's on beltline in Addison.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
olive bleu said:
Stewarts is wonderful stuff

When i was growing up here, in the late '60's, we used to get Snow White Cream Soda.The last time i saw it was about 15 years ago in Montreal, was this available in the U.S.?

can't say I've seen it sold, but is this what you're talking about?

IMG_4915.jpg

it was in the window of the snow white grill in Winchester, VA

Christopher

New in Town
Dominion Ale (who makes some great beer and ale) also makes a root beer and a Ginger Ale. The Ginger Ale is some incredible stuff. 'Course me buying the black and tan ale is keeping the local economy going well. Stuff tastes really vintage too.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Oh! YES! YES! YES!:arated:

I can't believe you found that! That was such marvelous stuff!

Just seeing that picture has made my day;)

Elaina

One Too Many
LOL, when I say greasy spoons I'm talking about places like Vera's in Euless, the old Pitt Grill in Arlington, Waffle House (c'mon, the original greasy spoon), Spoonie's in some place in Oklahoma on the way to visit my Aunt, that is so old, run down and greasy the clock on the wall no longer is readable, plave called Pa's in Arkansas...you know the type of places. Some I can't remember the name, because I see them and want to stop. We don;t live close to too many now, usually I got to Denny's or WH. CLose enough.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Norma's has been around since the 50s,so I consider it one of the originals,too.Hmmm...maybe it's considered more of a diner than a greasy spoon?Is there a difference?
Now,I do love Waffle House,even the plates are still the same and they still make one of the best pots of coffee.Oh,and The Original Pancake House is still really good,not to be confused with I.H.O.P.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
The restaurant that root beer is named after was an even greater experience.

Too bad it shut down early this year. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy