Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something old (ish) - 10 months in AL Simmons Bilt

Tinytim

Familiar Face
Thanks for the update after a 10 month wear, really nice! I admire your taste in jackets and your choice of designs by not being influenced by manufacturer brand or types of leathers. A true aficionado of jackets.

A-1

One Too Many
Hey Plumbline,
I’m new to the forum and to leather jackets but am close to ordering the Simmons Bilt jacket. I just have some questions about some advice for which leather to choose. Is the steer heavy? I’m more into the lighter or mid-weight leathers. However, I love the colour and grain of your jacket! It’s a beauty! I thought of jerky horse or even goat. But you can’t get them in this color, I guess.

I also thought of some modifications in the cut. A little longer in sleeves and overall, a throat latch closure, handwarmer patch close pockets with a stud closure. AL told me all this is absolutely no problem. I like the idea of the jacket being more of college jacket than a flight jacket. Very civilian. Ah, and this should be my one and only leather jacket...

Would be great to get some help of experienced loungers.

Thanks in advance

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's CXL steer in burgundy and is amazing leather. It has softened beautifully and is easily comparable to veg tanned in drape. The graining has continued to develop.

The mods sound good and AL goat ( especially the black and russet) are outstanding hides ... Equally they have a large variety of alternatives available ... I have an Indiana in Mongolian horse and it's stunning leather equally their mid weight grainy steer I has a superb hand.

Don't discount the Aeromarine .. More expensive and longer wait and less customisation ... but a great jacket .

Equally look at the Bill Kelso offerings ... AMAZING hides and superb jackets.

Get samples as these hides often feel better in the flesh than in photos. Most of the manufacturers can provide these.

I bought this on the sale pages early in Alexander's existence and it is still one of my favourites and it was a bargain ( an inside pocket is a must because the front pockets hold very little ) .

Enjoy the search ... HTH.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely jacket PL and that's coming from another zipper loving fellow.

A-1

One Too Many
Much obliged for your helpful words! I’m getting swatches of the mid-weight leathers in January.
As this will hopefully be my only leather jacket, the mods are quite important to me. I’ll be looking at Bill Kelso jackets. Never heard of them before.
And thanks again for taking the time!

A-1

One Too Many
Oh wow, Bill Kelso’s Aeronaut A-1 looks like the Himel Heron! Very beautiful jacket as well.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The Aeronaut is a beauty - Heron on a budget.
The capeskin is absolutely superb too - I've had a jacket in Victory capeskin and it's the best cape on the market in my view.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Much obliged for your helpful words! I’m getting swatches of the mid-weight leathers in January.
As this will hopefully be my only leather jacket, the mods are quite important to me. I’ll be looking at Bill Kelso jackets. Never heard of them before.
And thanks again for taking the time!

Don't worry, me old China, I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for. ;)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Stop being obtuse ... Say what you mean Sloanie .... I hadn't thought about it but are you insinuating that A-1 is actually a suspended member reusing a new login aka Schitzo ( that's a little bit too paranoid for even my mind) ?

Can the barkeep investigate please - I'll pm Scotty.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
I’ve just sent an email to Bill Kelso if modifications are possible. The handwarmer pockets are a must for me. Inside pockets, too. And still I hope it’s gonna be my one and only. I know, I know, chances are low, IXL.

The guys at AL were so helpful with everything. It seems like every mod I asked for is possible.

And yet the Bill Kelso looks exactly like the jacket I want the Simmons Bilt to be...

A-1

One Too Many
By the way, don’t know what you’re talking about, Sloan and Plumbline. Still, thanks for your help.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Stop being obtuse ... Say what you mean Sloanie .... I hadn't thought about it but are you insinuating that A-1 is actually a suspended member reusing a new login aka Schitzo ( that's a little bit too paranoid for even my mind) ?

Can the barkeep investigate please - I'll pm Scotty.

He has? I can't say I'm surprised or particularly saddened by that news. Whatever A-1's choice is, I look forward to seeing his fit pics.

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's posted below his username on old posts ..... There you go being all obtuse again. I'm not surprised but I am a bit saddened he had a refreshing and independent view ... There's nothing worse than someone who is just a mouthpiece, and Schitzo may have been a mouth but never a mouthpiece.

I too look forward to A-1's pics ... Might we a while away, looks like he's got some samples to get and jacket planning to get done.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Bill Kelso’s page is down at the moment. Do you know if they are into making modifications?

I’ll let you know when I’ve made a decision and of course show some pics when it’s arrived. And yes, it’s gonna be at least a month from now I guess. The photos, not the decision. I plan on ordering as soon as possible and that is when the festive days are over, early January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails