Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something old (ish) - 10 months in AL Simmons Bilt

samo

One of the Regulars
Plumbline, I’ve tried to find photos of the Mongolian Horse Hide but couldn’t find any. Do you have any photos to share? Maybe some close-ups as well?

Would you personally prefer the AL CXL steer or the Mongolian HH? I’ve placed an order but am still not sure if I should choose CXL Steer burgundy, Seal Jerky HH or Mongolian HH... The Mongolian is thinner and lighter than the steer, right?

Is the Mongolian a bit like this one?
http://www.original-flightjackets.c...e/Gordon-Ferguson-A-1-Flight-Jacket::676.html

Thank you so much for helping!

A-1 You can check the production video of the Indiana Jacket in the Alexander Leathers (http://www.alexanderleathers.com/information-menu/video-page.html).

A-1

One Too Many
Yeah, I’ve found the video. Thanks, Samo!

I’m still wondering how it compares to the steer in weight and thickness.

Plumbline

One Too Many
slightly lighter and slightly more drapey ... it has a smooth surface somewhere between nubuck and CXL ..

It depends on the look you are trying to get .... I have the indiana in it ( my travelling jacket currently .. probably one size too large for an FL type fit ... but I like it that way to accomodate layering and any type of climate from Chicago in Feb ... to Melbourne in Nov.

I think it would make an amazing Simmons Billt .... but then I like the leather.

If you want graining and it to develop great patina ... then CXL or Veg tanned steer.

If you want it to be drapey go for a lighter hide

If you want substance and weight then go FQHH or similar

such are the (wonderful) choices of the jacket buyer :)

A-1

One Too Many
Damn, all these choices are making me crazy, really!
I’ll be sleeping much more quiet when the jacket is in production and I can’t make any alternations.

Additionally, I found out the vintage Warhawk in burgundy might be working for me as well. It seems to be darker than the steer and more matte, which I like.
I also like substance but hope the jackets gonna be drapey as I’m wearing it for some time. These seem to be properties of the CXL steer and I hope the Vintage WH as well. I started off with wanting to by a Horween HH jacket so I think ALs Vintage WH will be good. As I understand it’s got the same thickness as steer or the FQHH.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Mongolian Horse on the other hand looks like this:

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

Plumbline

One Too Many
Vintage Warhawk in Burgundy looks like this ( steer CXL is very slightly lighter in weight )
Oakland 4.jpg

Oakland 3.jpg

Oakland 5.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
Thanks for the photos!!!
The war hawk doesn’t seem to be more matte after all. Looks almost like the steer to be honest. Not as much grain but very similar. And as it might be a little lighter, the steer will be my choice.
I’m thankful for your advice!

Plumbline

One Too Many
if it's grain you want don't discount The Aniline CXL Bison ....... I don't have anything (yet) in the brown .. was really looking for a russet. But this is the black in my Detroit .... it's wearing in AMAZINGLY ( and is also available from Aero)

Detroit Bison 5.jpg

Detroit Bison 6.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
As I understand the Bison is very thick, right? And heavy? The grain looks good!
However, I think the grain in the steer will be enough for me :eek:.

A-1

One Too Many
Just received the swatches from AL. All leathers are quite nice but the CXL steer runs laps around the others.
The Black FQHH is a close second. The Brown FQHH to is rather dull. The vintage ones are nice but do not have the graining effect when you fold or scratch them. The CXL steer Burgundy is incredible stuff! Deep brown/burgundy with a little shine, but not too much. The touch is great, the smell awesome and the grain popping up when you fold or scratch it simply beautiful. You can also brush scratches out. The steer is a little thicker than the horse. Still the horse seems to be stiffer.

2015-01-23 12.06.52.jpg

IMG_20150123_120823.jpg

2015-01-23 12.07.09.jpg

Click on the photos to enlarge.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Hey Plumbline!
I’m sorry for coming back to this.
Is the leather really warm? Or is it just heavy and wearable? What are your experiences?
Much obliged

Plumbline

One Too Many
Not overly warm, not overly cold ... But very cool! ... The tartan lining is mid weight rather than strome weight. It's a really nice jacket ... Now being replaced with a BK Westfall :)

It's really soft and pliable now ... and is for sale on eBay .... Do a search on eBay on "Simmons Bilt"

Im selling a few others on there as well ( Eastman / Goodwear / Aero / Alexanders) 42"s and 44"s ... and some new ones just joined the collection ......

A-1

One Too Many
Nice, thanks! I'm planning on selling my BK as I don't like the color of the russet.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

A-1

One Too Many
Nah, it's a tight fitting 42. I'm an actual 40.5 chest and the jacket is 22.25".
Length is 25.25, arms 25.5.
I'll start a post next week I guess. There is some more to tell about the jacket than just the measurements.

A-1

One Too Many
Hi plumbline, is it possible to get to know what your actual chest is?
It's hard to say if the jacket might fit me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner