Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The Return of Mr Poirot"

I found a little shop here in town called "Mr Poirot" selling deco sculptures and lighting, I was chatting with the young owner, and asked if it was related to the old "Mr Poirot" in King Street, Newtown, NSW, the chap was rather surprised that I remembered it! seems his parents had owned the shop in King Street, (now the home of Toni & Guy)

He bought all the old stock, and a container from the UK! , over to Swan River Colony, but, sadly there had been a lot of breakages in transit!!!!!. (The larger Bronzes had survived) but he did have a lovely Lorenzyl sculpture/lamp I took a fancy to, but was unsure if he wanted to sell it. I told him If I was him It would kill me to part with, I told him to "hang on to" it it was positively Stunning

w%20(26).JPG

They will be importing more items from the UK - please note they are splendid "Reproductions"

Shop is at 125 Stirling Hwy, corner of Vincent street Nedlands, (Opposite the Rose gardens)

ph 08 93891004

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The Chap in Sydney"

Sad to say that Arial Book Shop in Oxford street, Paddington Sydney, will no longer be stocking this admiral Periodical, I was chatting, with the young shop assistant , or is he the owner(he does start 10. am) Ben, who said that it was not worth dealing with the UK agents they import the "Chap" and a few other magazines through, i might try to get "New Edition" in Freo to stock it!

covers.jpg

www.thechap.net/.../ latest-issue.html

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
... who said that it was not worth dealing with the UK agents they import the "Chap" ...

Then they are beneath consideration and should be spurned! 'The Chap' should be standard at any periodical seller of worth!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
The Lindy Charm School

The Lindy Charm School is coming to Melbourne in August. They will be running workshops for ladies of all ages over two days. Teaching hair, makeup and how to buy and wear vintage, for all those who need a helping hand.
The girls do fabulous hair and can help you get your sets right and your victory rolls high and tight. If you are in Melbourne, don't miss it! Book in yourself, your mother, your girlfriend and that woman at work whose skirt is always too short.
Click here to book and tell them Super Kawaii Mama (aka Candice Deville) sent you!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Hobart Architect , Charles Crawford

92 Year old Charles Crawford talks about his career in Tasmania in the late 1930's, Building an Art Deco apartment Block (as an investment) for his parents, and going to Brazilia to learn how to create curved concrete walls! This chap sounds like he's in his 40's!!!!!

Listen here

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bydesign/stories/2009/2576035.htm

tuppence

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:
Talbot - Carsons Law, I haven't thought about that show for years, I really enjoyed it.
Tuppence I have lots of Martin Boyd pottery - I must get organised & take pictures so I can post them (more 1950's than vintage proper, but still very nice).
Mojito, methinks we may have similar views on social justice & so forth - actually NSW state politics in the 30's was fascinating.
By the way I live around the corner from Norman Lindsays home. I'm thinking of volunteering as a guide....
Perhaps a Fedora Lounge get together at Norman Lindsays house could be arranged??

They are showing Carsons Law on Win regional t.v part of Crawford classics, at the moment at about 3.30 on Tuesday mornings. I definitely think they should do the same on 9 instead of those religious shows and stupid shopping rubbish.
I would love to see your Martin Boyd pottery.
Sorry I haven't posted photos of yet. I'm not a good photo poster.

tuppence

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
The Antipodes is about to unleash digital radio on us, is it possible to have a USB receiver (Small) hidden behind your vintage radio?

2908802051_cfdece6fa7_m.jpg

Is there going to be any good digital radio Binkie? I know I can get some stations through the t.v, but I'm not sure it's the same?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Tuppy, the stations I listen to are manily community stations, and they just do not have the funds for new digital broadcasting equipment, but I suppose the technology will become cheaper.

I saw this spiffing portable DAB radio,

ROBERTS RD 60
The mains and battery operated portable ROBERTS RD 60 is a nostalgic 1950s style retro radio with advanced DAB features. With 120 hours battery life, it is more portable than ever. It features rotary tuning and volume controls, station name display, a stereo line out socket and headphone socket.

Retailing price for ROBERTS RD 60 is around £150

ROBERTS_RD_60.png

Talbot

One Too Many
Binkie, pardon my ignorance, but

DAB stands for digital something or other?

It would have to be digital at 150 pounds! Sharp looking radio BTW

I can see takeup issues ahead similar to digital TV - dearth of content doesn't help.

Analog TV is being shut off in the US this weekend - going to be interesting

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
You asked for it Tuppence (and here it is)

Here are a couple of photos of my Martin Boyd pottery. The business started after WW2 - but most of my collection is from the 50's. I love the simple shapes & colours.
P1000801.jpg

P1000802.jpg

I'd post more but photobucket is sooooo slow.

tuppence

Practically Family
The Ramekins

Boyd Ramekins are so iconic it's a wonder they wern't included in the sydney olympics opening. They are so gorgeous. Are they mugs? vintage mugs are impossible to find. I'm off to search ebay

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Tuppy, Lolly, I have seen these in shops but always asumed they were "Vaguely Scandanavian", what a wonderful family, have you read Martin Boyds 1937 novel "The Picnic"?

Dustjacket synopsis:
"When Beatrice Westlake, an Australian, buys her sister-in-law's aristrocratic ancestral home in a small Sussex village, the villagers are concerned. When she moves in with her sister-in-law and two nephews, they are absolutely horrified.

"Gradually, the Australians are accepted and Plumbridge Hall becomes the centre of the neighbourhood's social life. But all comes unstuck when the Australians invite the villagers to that distinctly Australian institution - the picnic."

I think this needs to be made into a talking picture

picnic.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Wembley Ware"

I have a piece of Wembley ware that I purchased years ago, thinking it was Wembley in London, only to discover it was made here in the Swan River Colony within miles of my house!

wembley%20ware%20rabbit%20plate%20web%20template.jpg

this is a bit tacky, the vase I have is black and gold and very minimalist, will post photographs when get a chance

tuppence

Practically Family
That's my style Binkie:) I verge on tacky.He would go perfect with my SylvaC rabbit. But that is a piece of news because I too thought they were English. Check Bunny out on ebay they go for more than I can afford.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
That is interesting! The Sydney Town Hall was built on top of one as well - the colony's principal cemetery from 1793-1820. The headstones and remains were moved in 1869 for the construction of the Town Hall. I have a bit of an interest, as one of the few records we have of my g-g-g-g-grandfather one he arrived in Australia (originally sentenced to death for his part in the Despard plot, commuted to life transportation) is that he built the wrought iron gates of the cemetery. They found a few fragments during recent restoration that were overlooked.

I understood that the Town Hall gates ended up as the gates on St Joseph's College Hunter's Hill....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy