Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Talbot

One Too Many
Benny Holiday said:
I hope they stay too. I went for a trip out to the Sydney Tram Museum at Loftus only three weeks ago and it was the most. They've got four working trams to ride on, the trips are only ten minutes north and south but it gives you the feel of being in another era. Teh main shed houses thirty or so original trams and even a trolley bus, dating from the beginnig of the 20thC through to the final Sydney trams made in the 50s.

Just in 'The Age' newspaper today

'Symbol of Melbourne' trundles into history
City's remaining W-class trams to be phased out on all routes except City Circle line

Sigh....

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sad news Talbot. It seems, though, we've come to expect disappointment when it comes to such things.

I was at Mildura on the weekend for the new regional Wintersun festival that was being held there. The ambience of the town was very appealing; it was relaxed, friendly, and fun, with nice restaurants, the mighty Murray River and lots of local wineries and - my favourite - lots of art deco buildings and houses. All the visitors were very taken with the place.

analiebe

A-List Customer
hello godfrey...
came on this thread to post the link to the save lonsdale house website myself... glad i've been pipped at the post...

to everyone else - please pass on the link to all you know - the demolition of this amazing building sets a dangerous precedent for the continued destruction allowed by our state government & melbourne city council of our citys beautiful architectural heritage... if we don't all speak out (and encourage others to do so) wheelan the wreckers signs will be as prevalent as they were in the 50's & 60's - sean (who is the passionate individual behind the save lonsdale house group) has a watchdog site http://www.melbourneheritage.com/ keeping an eye on such things in our city - worth a look if you care about such cultural heritage

ps... forgive for being so rude and not introducing myself first... i'm a newbie to posting on the forum although i've been observing lounge activities for a while now... pleasure to join you all

Godfrey said:
Wondering if you guys could take the time to help save a bit of Melbourne's Art Deco history. There s a proposal to demolish Lonsdale House. The building is in definite need of love but doesn't need to be destroyed.

Please take the time to sign the online petition and feel free to give the planning minister an email - http://www.savelonsdalehouse.com/index.php

Thanks in advance!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Talbot said:
Just in 'The Age' newspaper today

'Symbol of Melbourne' trundles into history
City's remaining W-class trams to be phased out on all routes except City Circle line

Sigh....

I personally don't like the new trams as there's not enough seats on the things. Give me the old jobs anyday.

Hello to all from blustery Melbourne.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Spring has Sprung"

"Spring has sprung in the" Antipodes" a preview of my summer linen suit "

3877937142_1098b41bfb_m.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"Sadly, Developers don't realise that they are not the "Owners" of these properties, but merely the caretakers for future generations, the buildings have the ability to live on, the developers are destined for worm food!"
There is a stereotype about preservationists - at least here in the USA - that they are a claque of frumps, idlers, la-de-da's and petty academics, not worth Important People's time or attention.

Sadly, like all stereotypes, there is a nugget of truth in it. Most who do it have the time - it's a discretionary commitment - so you don't see the solid family types, the backbone of the community. They trend older, odder, and outspoken-er. This becomes the "face" of preservation to the average person - who then identifies even less with a misunderstood cause.

tuppence

Practically Family
Fletch said:
There is a stereotype about preservationists - at least here in the USA - that they are a claque of frumps, idlers, la-de-da's and petty academics, not worth Important People's time or attention.

Sadly, like all stereotypes, there is a nugget of truth in it. Most who do it have the time - it's a discretionary commitment - so you don't see the solid family types, the backbone of the community. They trend older, odder, and outspoken-er. This becomes the "face" of preservation to the average person - who then identifies even less with a misunderstood cause.

Over here it was unions(including the deregistered BLF)that placed Green bans on certain historical sites. Saving the Melbourne city Baths http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=287&pg=2578
and the Regent theatre http://goaustralia.about.com/od/theatreperformingarts/a/regenttheatre.htm
among other buildings. I just don't think there is any organization comparable to it, in Australia now.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many

analiebe

A-List Customer
Fletch said:

its interesting you make this comment fletch as i have recently been very involved with the "save lonsdale house" group here in melbourne - the core of the group is actually made up of under 40's from areas such as fashion, i.t., creative industries, teaching, sustainability positions etc as well as academics, retirees and others... so far i am the only member i've met that is really vintage-centric... its' made me really proud that here in melbourne it is people of all walks of life who are giving up the little extra time they have outside of their work/family/social lives to do what they can to preserve this citys heritage...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"When I was in Melbourne last year i was amazed when I stumbled across a wonderful underground Art Deco Arcade, between One of the main railway Stations and a shopping Street, (I was looking for an internet cafe)i t was very dirty and run down, it really should be restored!" BUT NOT REDEVELOPED"

analiebe

A-List Customer
BinkieBaumont said:
"When I was in Melbourne last year i was amazed when I stumbled across a wonderful underground Art Deco Arcade, between One of the main railway Stations and a shopping Street, (I was looking for an internet cafe)i t was very dirty and run down, it really should be restored!" BUT NOT REDEVELOPED"

binkie.... you are talking about campbell arcade (better known as the degraves street subway or the flinders street underpass) - it was built in the early 50's in preparation for melbournes' 1956 olympics & to cope with the booming commuter population... it began life as a gleaming art deco pink tiled & black marbled wonder but by the 80's was a smelly, seedy route to the trains to be avoided... however, in the last 15-20 years it has seen a resurgence...with coffee shops, snall clothing shops & artists moving in and breathing life and light back into this wonderful "hidden" space - unfortunately i can't see the current state government or melbourne city council doing much to restore it (they seem more intent on demolishing our heritage than preserving it) but hopefully we won't see it disappear like so much of melbournes beautiful architectural history

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay