• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The Conversion Corral

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Davidson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

The thin ribbons on Open Roads would have been 3/8 grosgrain ribbon. The bows aren't actually tied. They're just made to look that way. A couple folds here, a stitch or two there, add a loop, (keeper), and you have an optical deception that looks like a tied bow.

Could be that the tubular looking ribbon that you're describing maybe ply ribbon? Although I do have a Bradford Westerner that has a very thin round ribbon. Is that what you were referring to?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. Scooterz

Scooterz One of the Regulars

Well some look flat and on the ends that set on the brim some look slightly hollow like they are sewn into a small tube/round. I am not sure I may have seen that on clones by other brands. Just did not know if there was a name for that type of ribbon I could google to figure out where to get some. I did find a couple of old hats online. One is a statesman which looks just like an akubra snowy river and I assume it was probably made by them and I got a stagecoach. Now I am trying to think about how to trim the brims without a hatjack. I keep envisioning a piece of plywood with a hole for the crown and the hat upside down in the hole, and then finding one of my wife's dinner plates or cooking pot lids that is close to the diameter and centering that on the hat and using it as a form. Probably can't find one with the right oval (I am just a regular oval as far as head shape). Would a totally round brim (ie like using a pie pan for a form) give you an ok looking and functioning brim? A lot of brims look pretty round when they are flat but that may be slightly deceptive. I know some of folks mark off the brim and cut with scissors, I would like something to cut against just to make the curve smoother. Maybe someone should start fabricating french curves for hat converters. Probably wouldn't be profitable since we are too tight to buy hats the way we want them in the first place :)

3. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

As far as brim cutters, this one would be effective and easy to use. It takes off only a little brim at a time, though, making it slower than a rounding jack...but it's also far less $$$$ than a rounding jack.

[​IMG]

Redfokker likes this.
  4. Redwoodjedi

Redwoodjedi One of the Regulars

This is a conversion of an old Resistol Roundup I found on eBay for $20. It had the nice tan/taupe color and some character on it already that I was looking for. I also needed a nice, thick felt for use at work. I work in a Lumber Dept. at Lowe's and so my lid needs to be a bit tougher than traditional felt fedoras. So I trimmed and sanded the brim down to 3" and put a nice Diamond crease in the straight, untapered 6" crown. I also put a new moss colored ribbon on it that was fairly thin to accentuate the tall crown. Finally, I gave the brim a nice curve and swoop and "Voila!" an instant Daily Beater. She has been my trusty rusty for about a year and a half now and by far it is my favorite hat. Goes well with any of my Carhartt Jackets....

Thanks for lookin',

Erik

roundup.jpg conhat.jpg conhatII.jpg conhatIII.jpg conhatIV.jpg erikhatII.jpg

5. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

Nice job.

Redfokker likes this.
  6. Redwoodjedi

Redwoodjedi One of the Regulars

Thanks a bunch, RJ!

7. bond

bond My Mail is Forwarded Here

Good work everyone. Here's a couple of homburg conversions I just finished for a fellow lounger. Grey one is Stetson lighter one is Borsalino , both very nice hats to begin with as far as felt quality goes not to mention having enough brim to work with.
    IMG_7085.JPG IMG_7083.JPG IMG_7125.JPG IMG_7127.JPG IMG_7126.JPG IMG_7131.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaboots, Scooterz, DOGMAN and 5 others like this.
  8. Redfokker

Redfokker My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great job on these, love the Homburg especially.

9. steur

steur New in Town

The work is very well done, but I'm always a bit sad to see a beautiful homburg go. Such an elegant hat.

10. Scooterz

That looks great. Yes it will be nice to have a quality hat that can be a beater and take the rain. I am sure I will end up with something nice and vintage or custom one of these days but if I drop too much money on it I will be reluctant to put it at much risk. The conversions are going to be fun projects.

11. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

I went for yet another reblocking and reworking of this brown Resistol Stagecoach. I went with a Gus crease again, lowering the front of the crown and raising the back of it. I also did a little more reshaping of the brim to give it more of a down turn in both the front and the back. I finished it off with the same 2 ply thin ribbon with a simple knot and tails.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A collection of Western tunes, 1947...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  12. nice work Terry

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

T Jones likes this.
  13. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

+1

T Jones likes this.
  14. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

Thanks buddy. Always good to see you.

Chepstow likes this.
  15. Redfokker

Redfokker My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great work Terry! That brim edge binding looks interesting is it the stitching that stands out? Or are there two colors?

T Jones and Joao Encarnado like this.
  16. The ribbon have the two colors.
    [​IMG]
    It matches the original ribbon that Terry removed.
    [​IMG]

Bob Roberts likes this.
  17. Scooterz

P1020582sm.jpg P1020563sm.jpg First project hat. It came squished in box but popped back into shape ok. A Statesman rabbit fur looks like an Akubra. The first two photos are it with sample bands to try to figure out which way to go on ribbon/band. P1020511.JPG P1020516.jpg P1020523sm.jpg P1020557sm.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    T Jones and Bob Roberts like this.
  18. Scooterz

A crazy idea for a hat jack. An unused leg/stand for a flat screen tv that is laying around. The wrapping is kind of slick and seems like it would glide around hat ok. It seems to index around crown without wobble. Have to figure out how to affix a marker or a cutter where I want it. My 45mm rotary cutter might be difficult to attach but they make stick types with smaller wheels I think or could use a straight blade. I think I could make it for one fixed width at a time. The brim is currently 3 inches on the statesman.

P1020551sm.jpg P1020553sm.jpg rotaryCuttersm.jpg

RJR and Chepstow like this.
  19. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

Thanks buddy. As Joao pointed out, the brim binding is original to the hat. I wasn't too keen on the hat ribbon, so I took it off and replaced it with a thin ribbon.

20. T Jones

T Jones Call Me a Cab

I like that hat. Although I prefer fedoras to western hats I would actually leave that one a western. You can reblock and recrease the crown and reshape the brim too. You can make a nice looking little western out of it. I wouldn't mind having one like that.

Here's a '50s era 7X quality Bradford westerner that I reworked with the same brim dimensions as yours...and it's the same hat size as yours too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On the head...

[​IMG]

rclark, Bob Roberts, Scooterz and 2 others like this.