Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Congrats, man.

I bought some wickedly delish fruit yesterday. The Okanagan peaches are top-drawer this year, as are their cherries. I also picked up some amaaazing 78 rpm records in Seattle on Saturday.

The cherries have been magical this year.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I know how dedicated you Hot Wheels collectors are. I have a friend who claims to have over 10,000 of them. He goes for the vintage stuff, but also makes sure he gets every new model that's issued. I swear he is on a first-name basis with every toy department manager and clerk within driving distance of his home.

And indeed I did find some (mainly Golden Era type) goodies at the show! :D

DSCF0620.jpg

It even has a New Jersey licence plate lol
DSCF0615.jpg

'36 Ford
DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0607.jpg

Model A Sedan Delivery. Blister card is signed by Larry Wood, one of Mattel's original Hot Wheels designers.
DSCF0591.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

A view of the show
DSCF0603.jpg

I know how dedicated you Hot Wheels collectors are. I have a friend who claims to have over 10,000 of them. He goes for the vintage stuff, but also makes sure he gets every new model that's issued. I swear he is on a first-name basis with every toy department manager and clerk within driving distance of his home.

I used to do that but now I've narrowed the focus of my collecting to the original Redliners (1968-77), some vintage (1978-89) and exclusives many of which are almost exact reproductions of the original Redliners. And of course, Golden Era cars from the '20s through the '40s.

This is on my Holy Grail list -- a wind-up Schuco Examico* car originally made in Germany in the 1930s. They had working steering, brakes, gear shift (including reverse), and clutch. Schuco still makes them today as collectibles.

32.jpg

*Based on the 1936-40 BMW 328

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Those cars are fab, but how about a separate model car thread??? btw I'm not having a go at anyone, I just think that there would be quite a few loungers that would like to contribute to a thread all about model/toy cars.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My good news: Today I'm going to do something I've wanted to do since I was a child... Go to Build-a-Bear! I never grew out of teddy bears and since I first saw that shop, I wanted to go. I didn't for various reasons, but I've got a milestone birthday coming up soon and doggone it, I'm going to do it!!
I recently spotted a tiny but perfectly proportioned fedora in a vintage shop I frequent. I assume it was intended for a doll so it would probably be perfect for a bear, should I ever decide to build one (it would of course wear a suit as well).

In regards to my good news, I have a very promising job interview today. I say promising because it was one where the recruiter contacted me although I didn't make an application for their vacancy (they saw my profile on a recruitment website I registered with and needed German speakers). If all goes well I'll be posting here. If I don't get the job I'll have to start a "bad news" thread. ;)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
In regards to my good news, I have a very promising job interview today. I say promising because it was one where the recruiter contacted me although I didn't make an application for their vacancy (they saw my profile on a recruitment website I registered with and needed German speakers). If all goes well I'll be posting here. If I don't get the job I'll have to start a "bad news" thread. ;)

Good luck to you! Being contacted is very promising. I'm still looking for a full time job, months after I finished college, so I know how frustrating it can be.

Stormy

A-List Customer
I practice piano at a huge piano store 2-3 times a week. I have also created bonds of friendship with the piano dealers and teachers there. Over the past 2 months, I've had a love affair with a particular vintage piano (a Cabaret upright player model, mint condition). It's beautiful but the cost was $6,000! Well, over the past several weeks the price had been dropping. Yesterday, I said to one of the dealers "You all can't get rid of this huh?" He laughed and said that no one seems to want it. I said "Well, give it me! Then you'll be rid of of it." He laughed and said that he would go downstairs and see about that. I thought he was kidding, but a few minutes later he came back up with a tag bearing my name and said, "It's yours. You can have it!"
I had been praying for a piano (a baby grand of course) and GOD finally answered. Though it's not the one that I had been dreaming of, in many ways it's even more than I ever hoped for. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have been playing for quite some time but have never owned one until now. GOD does answer prayers, and dreams do come true.

This absolutely made my day. Congrats to you!

I practice piano at a huge piano store 2-3 times a week. I have also created bonds of friendship with the piano dealers and teachers there. Over the past 2 months, I've had a love affair with a particular vintage piano (a Cabaret upright player model, mint condition). It's beautiful but the cost was $6,000! Well, over the past several weeks the price had been dropping. Yesterday, I said to one of the dealers "You all can't get rid of this huh?" He laughed and said that no one seems to want it. I said "Well, give it me! Then you'll be rid of of it." He laughed and said that he would go downstairs and see about that. I thought he was kidding, but a few minutes later he came back up with a tag bearing my name and said, "It's yours. You can have it!"
I had been praying for a piano (a baby grand of course) and GOD finally answered. Though it's not the one that I had been dreaming of, in many ways it's even more than I ever hoped for. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have been playing for quite some time but have never owned one until now. GOD does answer prayers, and dreams do come true.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
What a great story. Congratulations on the new piano.

rotebander

New in Town
My great aunt has this gorgeous old piano in her basement that a lot of my family learned to play on. About 30 years ago, the sliding lid got stuck midway closed, but my uncle managed to finally fix it yesterday. Took him long enough!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife left me for another man. My dog ran away. My truck won't start. And I have an infection that would make a bull cry.

The good news is that rope is on clearance at Lowe's.

:)drum: ;))

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Good gracious, yes. There's tons of good news. Got a good report after my physical last week. My PSA is only 1.0, and I'm 55 years old! (Sorry. I know that's TMI, but I'm just so dang happy about it.) My job has yet to be threatened, even after deep budget cuts. The ongoing heat will break for a while, beginning tomorrow. I taught myself a new song last night...Jesse Winchester’s, Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I think I'm going to be able to pay off my home mortgage in a few weeks.

Much good news to be thankful for.

AF

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My good news is I've taken the next week off. No work is always good!

I have taken this week off for a bit of a sanity break, and I am having a wonderful time NOT watching the news.

My husband started a new job, after 3 months out of work, and it is close enough to home that he can come home every night. Things are looking up in our neck of the woods!

Stormy

A-List Customer
Thank you all for your kind words. Do let me know your favorite Golden Age jazz and blues songs so that I can practice them. I look forward to the day that I can invite you all down to Houston to see and hear me perform. I promise to make you all feel as if you have gone back in time ...

I didn't know you had taken to writing country-western songs...

My wife left me for another man. My dog ran away. My truck won't start. And I have an infection that would make a bull cry.

The good news is that rope is on clearance at Lowe's.

:)drum: ;))

AF, glad to hear that everything is well! Always gotta be thankful for smooth sailing.

Good gracious, yes. There's tons of good news. Got a good report after my physical last week. My PSA is only 1.0, and I'm 55 years old! (Sorry. I know that's TMI, but I'm just so dang happy about it.) My job has yet to be threatened, even after deep budget cuts. The ongoing heat will break for a while, beginning tomorrow. I taught myself a new song last night...Jesse Winchester’s, Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I think I'm going to be able to pay off my home mortgage in a few weeks.

Much good news to be thankful for.

AF

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Twelve days and no additions to this thread? We've gotta keep it at the top of the Observation Bar list.

A couple of weeks ago I was picking up our granddaughter (the one we have custody of, six years old) from daycare. I stepped out onto the porch after signing her out, to be faced with a six-year-old holding up a six-week-old or so orange kitten in both hands. How do you say no to that? :eusa_doh:

I was sunk. I'm a cat person--not only do I like cats, but cats like me. The kitten, sensing where her future lay, climbed up my shirt and settled herself on my shoulder, purring. The owner of the daycare told me that people often abandon pets in front of daycare centers. They try to find homes for them, but many wind up going to the pound as the rescue shelters are full around here.

She rode on my shoulder as I drove us home. When my wife came home she found me sitting in the living room with Bella and the kitten on my lap. I started apologizing before she even saw the kitten, but once she figured out what I was apologizing for she stopped me, asking how could she be angry with the fact that I have a soft heart? The three cats we already had weren't very happy with me, but they've gotten over it. Well, two of them have, anyway. :p

So, does a new kitten count as good news? I think that it does, especially for her, anyway! :D

Cheers,
Tom

superstarmegami05

New in Town
So, does a new kitten count as good news? I think that it does, especially for her, anyway! :D

Kittens always count as good news! :3
My good news would be that today my Mom got hired on the spot for a place we both applied to today. Seeing as how both of us have been living here for nearly two years and I've only gotten one interview and she's had none, this is GREAT. The job is a little farther away than we'd prefer but since it's in a much bigger town, I have no doubt I can find something for myself much easier than around here.

Also, I made bread the other day and still have some left. Yay bread~! :D

george

New in Town
Good stuff, hey. You've no doubt heard it a million times, but the way the economy is today, finding a job isn't easy. Congrats to your mom and good luck to you.

I just finished my EMT-B training course this past weekend and will take the state test in October, with the goal of becoming a certified Massachusetts EMT-B. I'm not very worried about the state test but I do need to keep my skills very sharp.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Well, my good news for today is that several of the tropical forecasting models now predict that Hurricane Irene will just skirt our coast. The bad news is that several others continue to show a category 3 landfall in Wilmington...

For three days now, the official forecast has been moving steadily eastward. I hope that eastward trend continues until the forecast shows the storm moving out to sea.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy