Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Lenore

Practically Family
Thanks Cherry. I'm fine with the curlers I used for normal wear, but when I have limited time to get ready in the morning, I think starting out with a looser curl might be beneficial to my time constraints.

Lenore

Practically Family
No pics today, but MUCH better. I used all green sponge rollers instead of both green and blue, as well as tweaked the set. Chopped the little bit I left in the back that was too long too.

Hubby said I looked hot. He must have really meant it because I kept catching him staring at me this morning on the drive to work.*preens*

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Well, I did it! I tried C-Dot's middy haircut tutorial and I'm thrilled with the results. :) I went with longer lengths for mine (once had a bad experience because I didn't realize just how short 4" actually is).

I have yet to find a hairdresser in the area where I live that ISN'T compelled to ignore my requests/pictures/etc. and do a modern cut instead. :(

I set it overnight in my homemade combination rag/foam curlers just for fun - I think the set turned out okay. Here are pics...

haircut1.jpg

haircut2.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
EDIT: Wet hair pictures to show layers. I'm much too tired to crop them now, but oh well:

Middy001.jpg

Middy002.jpg

Notice the graduation of the front layers, and the U curve in the back.

Is there any way you can get these pics back up? I somehow missed this thread and have been looking for this info. Getting my hair cut tomorrow and some pics would definitely be helpful!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I PMd you.

Also, if those of you with Middys could post pics of your hair *un-set* that would be really helpful.

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
BlameOnMame said:
Does anyone know who cuts a good middy in the Los Angeles area??
I went to Frenchy's thinking they would know what I was talking about, but to my surprise, they don't know a whole lot more about vintage hair than other salons. I did my best to explain it and they did their best as well, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.
I do everything hair-wise myself, but I really like to avoid cutting it myself. That doesn't always end well.

I use to live in the LA area...you should try and call Salon POP, they are located in long beach...they do a lot of vintage haircuts...one girl gave me a really good bob after I told her I had been wanting something that looked like Louis Brooks' hairdo and nobody was able to do it correctly. That same girl gave me really good tips on fingerwaving as well...good luck!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
OK, here is a repost of CDot's middy tutorial, with the original photos. However, I'm not entirely positive if I've matched the photos up with the text properly, so please let me know if there are corrections.

C-dot said:
I've tried to make this as foolproof as possible. Hairdressing is just like carpentry: measure twice, cut once!
**Do not attempt this with dry hair!!**

Step one: Section off you hair as follows.

Top-
HowtoCutaMiddy001.jpg

Sides-
HowtoCutaMiddy002.jpg

Back-
HowtoCutaMiddy003.jpg

Step two: Cut the sides.
All cuts with the Middy are done on an angle. Use your comb to brush your hair very smooth and flat, and angled to your chin:
HowtoCutaMiddy004.jpg

Imagine a line from your chin to your collarbone. Clamp the hair in your two fingers along this line, and cut.

Step three: Cut the top hair.
The length you use for your top hair is very much a matter of preference. They can be as short as Bettie Page's, or down to your chin. If you often wear your bangs in curly Betty Grable styles or swept to the side, they can go no further than the tip of your nose. If you usually wear it in Victory Rolls, faux forward rolls or a backward roll, they will need to be past this point.
HowtoCutaMiddy005.jpg

Clamp the hair with your two fingers in a straight line, and cut.

Step four: The back hair.
In a Middy cut, the back hair is done in a U-shape, with long layers so curls fall correctly. This extremely difficult to do by yourself, unless its like this.
Your pigtails should be placed in the centre and two-thirds of the way down the back of your head. Again, the length here is a matter of preference.
HowtoCutaMiddy006.jpg

Clamp the ends of your pigtails in an upward angle - that is, the tips of your fingers should be closer to your head than your knuckles. Cut.

Step five: Perfect the angle.
This part is tricky. Take out your pigtails and comb your hair flat all over, as vertically as possible. You will notice that there is a definite length difference between your back and side hair. As carefully as possible, even out this difference by clamping sections of hair in your two fingers.
HowtoCutaMiddy007.jpg

Middy001.jpg

Middy002.jpg

Remember!
-The Middy is for hair that is always curled and styled, so your cuts and lengths don't need to be exact.
-Don't get scissor-happy. If you think you've cut it too short, stop immediately. No good will come from more cuts.
-That said, there is room for error here, and if you do mess up, don't panic! Hair grows back, and with clever sets no one will know the difference.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yup, those are all matched! The last two pictures are just to show the layers.

I'm really glad that the ladies like the tutorial, and I'm very thankful to those who have tried it. It's a daring one, but it pays off!

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I really want to do this, but keep it longer, the only thing that makes me really nervous is what it would look like un set.... i'll admit that i don't have time most mornings to do anything with my hair, but I am SO sick of setting it for it to fall out 10 minutes later because I don't have any layers. Has anyone had a "sort of" middy that lends it's self to being unstyled, or is it simply a case of wonderful waves vs. mullet on the days I can't be bothered.... :eek:

EDIT: Cherry Bubbles, I want my hair like yours, how long have you left it?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Caroline said:
I really want to do this, but keep it longer, the only thing that makes me really nervous is what it would look like un set.... i'll admit that i don't have time most mornings to do anything with my hair, but I am SO sick of setting it for it to fall out 10 minutes later because I don't have any layers. Has anyone had a "sort of" middy that lends it's self to being unstyled, or is it simply a case of wonderful waves vs. mullet on the days I can't be bothered.... :eek:

Caroline, check out my new cut in the thread on Getting a Vintage Haircut. It is similar to a middy, but longer on the sides so it looks more like an average professional cut and less like a mullet/emo cut when unset. I have not tried setting it yet, though, so I have no idea how that will turn out.

Smuterella

One Too Many
gawd, ladies - it does not look like a mullet unset, especially if you leave the top layers a little longer. lol

On the days I haven't set it (like today) I just tie it back or put it up in a sort of chignon thing.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Smuts. My hair is dead straight and, honestly, I don't set it all that often.

I left it straight for last hallowe'en. It was shorter then, and resembled a bob:
Halloween003.jpg

The layers sometimes induced a wave, and on those days I'd throw the back in a ponytail, or let it flip up:
PlainJane008.jpg

These days I wear it almost always like this - Back in ponytail, sides down, bangs rolled in a pomp:
DSCN1736.jpg

The layers always give a little bounce, and the sides are proportionate to the back. Ladies, unless you shave the sides and cut the top real short, you will not have a mullet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner