Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Middy newb

I'm due for a haircut and was so happy to find this thread. Thanks to all you lovely gals for the links and tutorials. I see, from some comments, that I'm lucky to have an sympathetic hairstylist. I forwarded her the links to the rockbilly site and lisafremontstreets (oh, I hope I got your name right, hon) you-tube middy links, which made me feel good to get it and leave a middy and go unstyled. I'm pretty pathetic for hair care, don't own a hair dryer, much less rollers or a curling iron, but with her and all your help, there's hope for me yet.

My hair is not exactly curly. It's more moody. I live in Seattle and my hair is a humidity gauge - low humidity, mostly straight; high humidity, mostly wavy. Sybil is going to style it tomorrow, so I'll try to get my Bill to take photos.

I've been half-assed vintage for quite some time, but since finding the FL, I'm inspired by all of you to go all assed vintage.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Middy newb, part 2

:eusa_clap to Sybil, who did homework beyond the links I sent her. This was the first middy for both of us and she was thrilled that I gave her a cool hairstyle to try. That said, she had no idea how long it would take to cut and style. It took 2.5 hours with a few breaks in order for her to keep her 3 bang trim appointments. Before today's cut, my hair was about an inch shorter than you see in my profile pic.

The before photos didn't turn out. My phone camera touchy on good days, and it got switched from still photo to video. I'll re-take unstyled photos and post them later. Ironically, my hair is curlier in the before photo, but Sybil wanted to give me hair styling tutorial. The after photos were accomplished with a round ceramic brush, hairdryer, mouse and hairspray.

4508660649_264380be86.jpg

4509300230_e81fd7c429.jpg

While, my outfit isn't vintage, I have started on Hollywood Patterns #1169 this weekend. Now I'm excited to try pin curls.

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Miss Caroline said:
I really want to do this, but keep it longer, the only thing that makes me really nervous is what it would look like un set.... i'll admit that i don't have time most mornings to do anything with my hair, but I am SO sick of setting it for it to fall out 10 minutes later because I don't have any layers. Has anyone had a "sort of" middy that lends it's self to being unstyled, or is it simply a case of wonderful waves vs. mullet on the days I can't be bothered.... :eek:

EDIT: Cherry Bubbles, I want my hair like yours, how long have you left it?

I kept my layer lengths at around 10 or 11 inches (bangs area is 10"). When I leave my hair unset, it looks fine. On the unset days, I might curl the ends under with a curling iron or style it a bit with a blow dryer and round brush after washing. Add a couple side combs or barrettes and you're good to go ;)

It IS wonderful to have a good vintage "shape" to my hair now. Thank you again, C-Dot!

SheBear74

Practically Family
New here, but wanted to say thanks for the tutorial! I have no problem cutting on my own hair lol, which isn't always good, and recently tried to do the middy myself. Your way looks a lot easier:) , but I am happy with the results.

SheBear74

Practically Family
CherryBubbles said:
Well, I did it! I tried C-Dot's middy haircut tutorial and I'm thrilled with the results. :) I went with longer lengths for mine (once had a bad experience because I didn't realize just how short 4" actually is).

I have yet to find a hairdresser in the area where I live that ISN'T compelled to ignore my requests/pictures/etc. and do a modern cut instead. :(

I set it overnight in my homemade combination rag/foam curlers just for fun - I think the set turned out okay. Here are pics...

haircut1.jpg

haircut2.jpg

Just wanted to say I love your haircut and glasses! You look great!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I need to figure out how to post a pic here, but I was curious. Would Meg Ryan's hair in the movie French Kiss be considered a Middy?

crwritt

One Too Many
SheBear74 said:
That's the one :)
Meg's got some nice thick hair, with a natural wave. Her hair was beautiful, and long, in those 80's movies, but it seemed like the stylists didn't know what to do with it.
Don't you think the middy cut would have the bangs longer?

SheBear74

Practically Family
It's all kinda new to me:) . I guess I thought with the middy you could have the bangs shorter as well?

I still love Meg's cut here though, always have. I love when she has her hair short.

FaintlyMacabre

C-Dot's DIY Middy tut

Back on page 3 (or so) C-Dot was kind enough to post pictures and instructions for cutting your own Middy. Did anyone save those pictures by chance?
I was feeling brave enough to try it today and now they are gone (?). I have emailed her and in web searching I found a link to what looks like was her blog, but that seems to have vanished as well.

Inky

One Too Many
FaintlyMacabre said:
Back on page 3 (or so) C-Dot was kind enough to post pictures and instructions for cutting your own Middy. Did anyone save those pictures by chance?
I was feeling brave enough to try it today and now they are gone (?). I have emailed her and in web searching I found a link to what looks like was her blog, but that seems to have vanished as well.

KittyT just reposted them on page five:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=992977&postcount=93

Octavia

Familiar Face
This is very interesting. I never really knew what a middy was before but turns out I sort of have one anyway. The last time I had my hair cut I had the stylist cut my hair into a slight "U" shape and I already have bangs that taper into the rest of my hair. It's not that recognizable as a middy (the "U" isn't very pronounced), but I've found it does make my sets lay so much better...it looks more authentic with less effort. And when I started reading this thread I immediately thought of this gorgeous picture:

TyronePowerLorettaYoungphotoGeorgeH.png

Seems to show off the cut pretty well, I thought.

Anya Kase

New in Town
So I have a question. I have recently had my hair cut into the short Middy (the 4 incher) but now I can't seem to do anything with it that doesn't turn out looking like Betty Boop. I've tried a sm. Barrel curling iron and the curls fell out. I tried sm. spounge rollers and it was very poodle-esque. I have the wire and brush rollers but even those curls dont last and I can't seem to get "the look". Is there anyone out there with a short middy that could give me some advice? Pretty please!
Thanks!

FaintlyMacabre

Thanks, Inky. I thought I saw it again somewhere....couldn't remember where.
Printed it and took off for the shower. Did the cut, I think it came out great, considering! I'll try to post some pics tmrw.:eusa_clap

SheBear74

Practically Family
My hair is on the shorter side too. I used the smaller sponge rollers and it had the same effect (more like Eunice from Mama's Family lol). I then tried the medium sized pink ones, rolled bigger sections, and it came out great and the curls lasted. I am still playing with it trying to figure out the styles and things I can do with it. I love having it shorter because I can kinda get the Ava Gardner vibe going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner