Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just a belated word of thanks to C-Dot for posting her tutorial, and to Kitty for reposting the pics -- they came in very useful! The lady who has cut my hair for years retired recently and left me up the creek: the only cuts you can get around here are long-and-straight-with-bangs or the menopausal helmet. So I took my scissors yesterday and went at it myself, using the posted instructions, and am very pleased with the results. I cut a little too short in the front -- my forward roll will be less intimidating than usual until it grows out a bit -- but the back came out much better than I'd expected. Thanks again!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I tried C-Dot's intructions, too, with super results. In fact, I was probably a bit too careful with length, and now that I see how neat it works, I'll cut a bit more next time to get a bit "truer" middy. and the best part is, it just takes minutes and I don't have to go to a beauty shop...I'm a weird girl, I greatly dislike beauty shops. I wish I didn't, but I do... :eek:

crwritt

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Just a belated word of thanks to C-Dot for posting her tutorial, and to Kitty for reposting the pics -- they came in very useful! The lady who has cut my hair for years retired recently and left me up the creek: the only cuts you can get around here are long-and-straight-with-bangs or the menopausal helmet. So I took my scissors yesterday and went at it myself, using the posted instructions, and am very pleased with the results. I cut a little too short in the front -- my forward roll will be less intimidating than usual until it grows out a bit -- but the back came out much better than I'd expected. Thanks again!

You make me want to give it a try once my hair grows out a bit. I understand
about feeling up a creek when your longtime hairdresser retires. Sticker shock for color services, and not finding anyone else who would do it the same way
led me to growing out my gray.

LoveVintage

New in Town
Some help please!

Hi, I'm just new here but would love some advice. I have been experimenting with pin curls but I've found they fall out fairly fast; normally my hair holds a curl really well. Is it maybe because of the cut? My hair is all shoulder length except for a long fringe.

I'm scared of getting a middy as I worry about how my hair would look unstyled,and I doubt I'd have the determination to curl it everyday! I've only recently had my hair cut to this length, previously it was down to my waist so I'm not keen on much more drastic change in case I hate it and want to grow it out again..Also, how much should I brush pin curls out?? Maybe I'm brushing them too much.. but I am using hairspray!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
One of the lovely ladies on here,Lisafreemontstreet,has a number of different hair tutorials on youtube including styling a middy & pincurls(respectively) .The middy video also shows how her hair looks unstyled.Her vids are really informative but easy to understand ,i highly reccomend watching a few:)
Hope that helps;)

wahine

Practically Family
Hi! :)

I didn't find any "introduce yourself" thread, so I'm writing my first posting in the thread that got me hooked on Fedora.
I'm a student from Northern Germany and fell for the good old days when I was a kid. I watched all the old movies and wanted to be as chique and cool as the people on the screen. But, as reality takes its toll, I still live in a modern appartment and just dream of living vintage every day. I go to "Oldies festivals" once in a while and browse ebay for vintage stuff all the time (don't buy often though since my budget is so small). My favorite is the fifties, but I also love the fourties (and some of the sixties) style and I'm a fan of Elvis and Marilyn.

Yesterday, I was browsing the net for hairstyle ideas cause my hair was starting to be a nag and a bore (simply long, all the same length, and getting thinner every day). When I found this forum, I was thrilled. Being in a spontaneous mood, I took a pair of scissors, and tried to cut a long Middy.
Thank you so much for the great how-to, C-Dot!

The front came out surprisingly well (considering I never cut my own hair before), but the back isn't really satisfying. I guess I'll have to take a Rita Hayworth or Lauren Bacall pic and take it to my hair dresser for some corrections... ;)

I made a pincurl set over night which I didn't do in a while. I really like the front though.
I didn't manage to photograph the back, sorry. Also, I don't have a before pic (that really was a spontaneous decision!).

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
FaintlyMacabre said:
I think it was a combination of her great (genius, even) instructions and my good luck! I've never cut more than my bangs or the top portion of my hair way back when.
Finished 'do':
GrabbedFrame7.jpg

GrabbedFrame6.jpg
Waaa! I want my hair to look like yours!
xxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
If I were to go to a hairdresser who had no idea of vintage styles what should I say to them so that I get a middy? Because If I went in and asked for just a middy I'm pretty sure I'd get some very blank looks.
U shape with layers maybe?

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
I recommend arming yourself with some of the diagrams or pictures of unstyled middy's on this and other threads. A lot of stylists are visual people.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Got a question for you all - I had what I would equate to a modified middy (long) cut done in May, and it looks great when I curl it with exception of the hair nearest to my face (the bangs). I lean towards a look that is similar to wahine's but longer (Welcome! by the way :) ). My bangs, or what would be bangs tend to fall in front of my left eye (in this case, I've parted on the right). I've used clips of various sorts to hold the bangs up and/or back and that works great when it wants to, but when it doesn't it's slightly frustrating. Would it be wise to clip the bangs just a bit shorter to make them lighter, thus easier to keep in a curl (away from my eyes), or stick to clips?

wahine

Practically Family
Jennifer Lynn said:
... I lean towards a look that is similar to wahine's but longer (Welcome! by the way :) ). My bangs, or what would be bangs tend to fall in front of my left eye (in this case, I've parted on the right). I've used clips of various sorts to hold the bangs up and/or back and that works great when it wants to, but when it doesn't it's slightly frustrating. ...
Thanks for the welcome! ;)
I'd be happy to get an answer to your question, too. I like the style with a bow, but I'd also love to go without one for once. Although my hair is shorter than yours, it will fall in my face without a bow.
What to do?

Aurynn

New in Town
Another newbie here on the forum *waves*
I got into the vintage styles thanks to Lisa Freemont St and now finally I'm going to take the plunge tomorrow and getting a long middy.

I was wondering what's the difference in length between 6 and 10 inches unstyled?

swinggal

One Too Many
I do more 30s inspired styles these days. Which middy cut from the book do the girls who have 30s cuts recommend? I've always had the long to medium middy cut, which suited 40s styles but it just doesn't cut it anymore for the 30s look I like.

I've never been able to find any 'cut' reference material for 30s dos anywhere online and have assumed the 'middy cut' in the shorter lengths (in the 40s hairstyle book I have) would work. Am I correct?

Ms_Minnie

New in Town
Hi All! This is my 1st post...but I've been lurking. I think I'm going to attempt a Middy long tonight. If the kids let me! :)

VintageVixie

Has anyone ever tried using the Middy length at top and on sides so rolls are easier, but leaving the back very long? My hair is waist length, I'm growing out Bettie bangs and I keep wanting to try this so I can wear rolls more easily. But I'm afraid I will end up with a feathered/1970s cut instead. And frankly, that horrifies me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot