Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Priceless!

kathryn_diina2.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
to my pleasant surprise, I received several nice comments over the past week while on vacation with my family: all while wearing my Dobbs olive-sage green Milan hat (It's one of those with a sort of teardrop crease and an optimo-like seam down the center of the crownfront, but with no dents.).

Most notably, one remark came from a young lady, a cashier and tour guide at one of those touristy underground caves, and another from a tall, well-dressed African American man who really would make me look like a toad if we stood side by side-- honestly he would have looked far better in the hat than I. Our families passed each other going opposite ways on a staircase, and he turned around about twelve stairs later and said "Hey! I really like your hat!" --made me feel like a million bucks coming from him, and it's a great comment to arm myself with against my wife's usual complaints.

Last edited:

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I attended a charity ball at a hotel in London last night. The theme was Moulin Rouge and the dresscode for men was specified as top hats and black tie. I know the event organizer and he said that some people really dress up and that if I wanted to go wild, I wouldn't stand out. You don't have to tell me twice.

I went in full white tie and silk top hat, dress shirt and detachable wing collar... even white gloves. It turns out not so many people made such a big effort this year, however I wasn't the only one in white tie and top hat. I had a lot of nice comments, especially from ladies. One lady said she wanted to steal my top hat.

Some people were asking me to show them how to swing a cane or tie a bow tie. One girl came back with a bow tie so she could learn step by step. I hadn't noticed but a lot of men had stopped to watch the lesson. One fella called out to his friends "did you see that, he just tied a perfect bow tie without a mirror" he then turned to me and said "you've got some skill." It may not be the most amazing comment but in the situation I felt on top of the world.

T Rick

Practically Family
Today it was my turn to be the one commenting. I'd just gotten off work in a town 80 miles from home (the city I grew up in) and was in one of my Favorite local Mexican restaurants, devouring a burrito plate when in walks this guy with a very nice looking Panama. Pretty sure it was a Montecristi from the tightness of the weave. He walked into the bar area for a moment, then turned to leave. I spoke as he passed by my table, saying it was a very nice looking Panama. He smiled and thanked me, looking surprised. Said "You're the only one so far who's known what it is!". Also said he had a couple lesser ones at home, reinforcing my thought it was a Monte. I OTOH, was awkwardly hatless (my job requires a hard hat all day, and being rather sweaty after work, none of my brimmed hats will touch my head until after a shower- it's a ball cap or nothing generally). I did tell him I had a few Panamas at home though... I think that couple seconds of hat talk (running into an individual "similarly afflicted" :D) made both our afternoons.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Last week I went to my usual job at the thrift-shop down the road. It being rather nippy, I wore a thick shirt, trousers, waistcoat, watch and chain, gloves (can't wear a wristwatch AND gloves. Too idamn impossible to tell the time!) and a brown trilby hat. This lady came into the shop and she practically followed me around as I put out new things for sale, telling me how much she liked my hat, but also the outfit in general. She even said so to my friends! (Blush).

In the end I took the hat off to show her what it was and she was very impressed to see it was proper rabbit-fur felt with a silk liner and leather sweat-band inside. Obviously something that was top-quality, she told me, in no uncertain terms and that I knew how to pick a hat.

Gawwwww...

T Rick

Practically Family
First for me, last night in a Blues Bar in Lake Worth FL (to see Walter Trout play, if you're not familiar with him, Google him- if you love a well played Stratocaster, you will love this man's playing!). So there I stand, wearing my 1950's brown Stetson (old pic below), and this guy taps me on the shoulder and asks where one goes to get such a fine looking hat. I think he was a little bummed when I told him it was from the 1950's and I'd bought it on eBay (not "the XYZ hat shop just down the street" type of answer he was probably hoping for). "Really, it's from the fifties"? he replied. He then went on about how the proportions, height, etc. were just right. Probably should have steered him to a Fed IV (or here), but frankly was too into the music right then (conversation started between songs, the band was playing again by now). Felt good to see someone appreciate the hat though!

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
Last week, at a friend's birthday party, I got what may have been the best compliment I've ever received, hatwise. I was introduced to a fellow, who shook my hand and said 'hello,' then looked at me again and said, "Oh, nice fedora." He then added, "You're the first person I ever met wearing a fedora who didn't look like he was wearing one."

Nobert

Practically Family
What I believe he meant was that I wasn't noticeably "wearing a hat," it just happened that I was wearing one. That it looked natural rather than something I had deliberately put on.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I was at a pretty fancy Burns Supper some time ago and, when asked my birthplace by a group of kilted attendees, I replied that I was born a 'Geordie' - I felt complimented to be refered to as "A Scotsman in Troosers"

MP

Pompidou

One Too Many
I was at the Social Entrepreneurs' Trust: Beyond Business as Usual banquet Wednesday the 5th. It was a sea of suits and ties - not a hat to be seen. After all, it was at The Hartford Club - might as well have been the Academy Awards or the inside of the Titanic. Very high class. My avatar you can see currently, is from said event, so you can see I don't do suits, ties, and I don't lose hats. I did so so that people would remember me, and surprisingly, got nothing but compliments for the audacity, I guess. "You are the coolest dressed here" - some lady said. The keynote speaker that also ended up presenting my 2nd place award/check said, "I knew I'd like this guy from the moment I saw his hat". A reporter that doubled as panel moderator said I certainly won "best hat" of the day. There was one other hat wearer - looked like Estoban - that guitar guy with the black gaucho/fedora. Needless to say, puffed up with compliments and awards, I left the place happy as hell.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Yesterday, when I was picking up our 3-year-old from a kindergarten and was helping her to put on her jacket, another fire extinguisher walked up to me and asked "Are you a real sheriff?".

I was rather stunned and could only say "No, I'm not". When an adult person asks me such a question when I'm actually wearing a fedora, I have a lecture prepared, but 3-4-year-olds aren't suitable audience for such lectures... ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
In the last week I have had a ton of compliments on my hats. These comments are usually from Women and men in their 20's all the way up. This weekend I was wearing my thin ribbon 1930's Mystery Stetson and two guys in a passing car, rolled down the window and screamed, "we love that hat, man." Then several days before that I was wearing my Resistol "Thompson Sub" 1930's clone with a really tall crown and as I was driving down the highway and in the car next to me was 4, 18 year old boys and all of them rolled down their windows and said, "that hat is sweet," "I love that hat," Where did you get that hat?" They all gave me thumbs up and pretty much cheered me on as I was driving. I guess its because I live in Chicago, and we are kind of known as being a hat wearing town with all the gangster history behind us. It seems like whenever I wear a 50's hat, I get compliments, but nothing to drastic. Every time I wear a high crowned 20's or 30's styled hat, people go crazy for them.

I was in a newer Mexican/Southwestern restaurant last week, wearing a forest green Stetson with a trout pin.
The greeter, a tall ponytailed guy came up to give me the "lowdown" on the place. He commented "Nice hat, dude, I like your style".

One Too Many
Some day in a Down Town street, here in my city, just walking with my wife in front of a Men´s hat store; a man meet us and toll me: " Sir, You wear like a modern gentleman", brown shoes, beige jeans, white shirt and a mink stetson ¡¡¡

Haversack

One Too Many
A few years back, I was waiting for a bus downtown. I was wearing a pair of chestnut AE Fairfaxs, carmel-coloured trousers, seersucker shirt, dark red paisley four-in-hand tie, blue silk sportcoat, and topped off by a straw planter's hat I had bought from Art back when he had the store out in Rodeo. The bus pulled up. The door opened. And the bus driver, an older African-American woman, looked me up and down and said, "My my. You look good enough to eat".

Hence my exact memory of what I was wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael