Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ah.. the pose.

Photo-on-2011-11-02-at-1354-2-M.jpg

Practicing. Man do I have a long way to go! I guess if it would be easy, everybody would be a Pimp.;)

Channeling Pimp, Eric -

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Some recent comments:

1. Three weeks ago. A Chinese guy came into the thrift-shop where I volunteer and said I looked like Dick Tracy. I'm not sure why. I was wearing a brown rabbit-felt Trilby, a royal-blue silk tie, a white shirt, a tan waistcoat and brown trousers and shoes.

2. Last week. A guy came into the shop. He was wearing those bright yellow flourescent clothes reminiscent of roadworkers. He struck up a conversation with a friend of mine and as I was walking past, I overheard him say: "Where can I get a hat like that?"

I stopped and turned around. The guy said it looked really cool and that he wanted one (same brown hat as in the first instant), only that he'd want one in black. My friend said that we occasionally get such hats coming into the shop (which is true), and that he'd just have to check back every now and then to see what happens. Before I could perhaps tell this guy where he could buy just such a hat, he was out the door...

But if regular council-worker is wanting to buy himself a rabbit-felt trilby, I think it's a sign of the times that hats are really coming back into fashion.

Somehow, that incident reminds me of this song:

[video=youtube;J4Kuu-FnB20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Kuu-FnB20[/video]

"Where Did you Get that Hat?" ("Where Did you Get that Tile?*"), from 1901.

I got "Nice costume" the other day from some dude wearing his jeans around his knees and his ball cap on sideways.

Then he asked "What are you supposed to be?" to which I replied

"An adult, you should try it."

That is FANTASTIC!

*The YT video says 'Tie', but it's actually 'tile' as in rooftile, since a hat is effectively a roof for your head.

Last edited:

amador

A-List Customer
I was shopping at Walmart, undisclosed location in Idaho, and a fellow in a stingy brim shouted out at me, came up and stated that he had been looking for a hat like mine, Stylemaster, carbon gray, for several years but had not been able to find one, directed him to the Akubra and David Morgan web sites. Maybe we will run into each other again, both sporting similar hats!
I was totally convinced to wear a hat after a "Hat encounter" at Starbucks, undisclosed location in Washington State. I was wearing the aforementioned while standing in line. I know, should take off the hat indoors, I usually take off my hat if I am going to sit or will have use of both hands. A lady ahead of me started commenting on my hat and proceeded to ask more personal questions when another lady standing behind me started her own commplements, competing with the first. My attention divided fore and aft. The second then asked if the hat was made of leather, I informed her that it is made of rabbit fur and she asked if she could touch it. The lady at the checkout wanted to know where I was from. I did not need the coffee to feel perked up!

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Amador had a simular comment this week while waiting for my wife who was having eye surgery. I gentleman came up to me and said where did I get my hat. I was wearing my heritage Campdraft. He said he had been looking all over for a hat like that. I asked for his email address and sent him the websites to order the hat and also the fedora lounge URL. He asked about Hat shops in the area and I pointed him to Batsakes in Cincy and Gus. Always trying to help someone into to a hat. It is hard for someone to find a good hat now days with so many towns having no hat stores at all. An with the general quality of current production being so poor.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
.....Always trying to help someone into to a hat. ......

Last Saturday, I attended a (late) Halloween party at a friend's house. Wearing my complete Indiana Jones outfit with Fed IV, a young man approached me and he couldn't take his eyes off my hat. He was sporting a trendy, stingy brim hat and he wanted to know where he could get a hat like mine. Of course, I mentioned hatsdirect.com to him. It turned out that I found another gentleman wearing a fedora at the party. It was a fellow member of our lounge.

One by one, we'll get America's men back into hats!

amador

A-List Customer
I just went to the local sandwich shop, Mancino's, and was given a 10% discount on my order because I was wearing such a sharp Fedora (FedIV). Great Reuben Sandwich.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
The apartment complex I live in is owned by an older couple, probably in their 70s. I have seen the man wearing cloth and straw hats a few times. The other day I was outside taking pictures of the snow and the land lady came up and asked if she could help me. I told her I was just taking snow pictures. She said she didn't recognize me without a hat. Then she said she knew I would be a good tenant because she could tell I had class. She moved in to the complex to keep an eye on things and clean up the neighborhood. My family is one of only a few who are still here. I like to think the hats have something to do with that.

Some friends and I took a buddy of ours out for his 21st over the weekend. At one of the bars, I got countless compliments on my hat. Plenty of the 'Indiana Jones' ones, but a lot of people had genuine nice things to say about how well it complimented my style and how it was classy. It's nice to hear.

scooter

Practically Family
I was at Best Buy recently, and as I wandered the aisles, a young salesman walked by, then stopped and commented, "Sir, THAT is a really nice fedora." It was a Champ Californian recently bestowed with a new ribbon by Major Mike.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly a remark, but a nice experience. I was riding home on the subway last night, from Harlem in Manhattan up to the Bronx, where I live. I got on the train, and there in the corner sitting right next to each other (obviously not connected with each other), were 2 guys both wearing nice wool felt fedoras. Not stingy brims, mind you, but nice medium brim hats. I, of course, was wearing my 50's vintage Disnay. I said to one of the guys, "Well, I guess I belong in this corner." He gave me a big smile. The other guy was oblivious. I wish I had gotten a picture.

amador

A-List Customer
Best Buy must be telling their Greeters to be nice. I was in a black suit, wearing my black FedIV, status post job interview. I got "You Sir, are the best dressed customer I have ever seen in this store, very nice hat, have a nice day". Young fellow, looking somewhat disheveled in his Best Buy blue shirt and kaki pants, needed a razor and a decent haircut. I'll have to see if he was inspired to attend to his appearance.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I was directed to this thread after starting a similar one elsewhere :eusa_doh: What prompted my action was a very attractive young lady at the drive-thru coffee place commented "I like your style!" I was wearing my Stetson fedora, a print shirt, suspenders, no tie or coat and driving my '73 Mercedes. It got me wondering what other comments people got. Now I know.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not really a comment, but a somewhat touching hat situation. I was at my barber's yesterday ( been going to him for over 25 years now) and he has a proper coat/hat rack for folks to use and I was wearing my father's Rittenhouse and took it off and hung it on the rack. A frail, white haired older gentleman was getting out of the chair and commented "ya don't see those much these days" pointing to my hat. His son ( about my age) was helping steady him as he asked if he could look at my hat. He turned it over in his hands, stroked the felt and looked up at me with a tear in his eyes and said "I had one like this back when my wife and I got married. It was a Dobbs. They were the best ya know" He turned to his son and said " your mother liked that hat, I wore it at her funeral ya know." His son replied " I know dad, you looked good in it" He handed my hat back to me and said " nice hat son, take care of it" and they went out the door. My barber, John, said he was 92 yo and he has been his oldest customer since he opened the shop 27 years ago. It kind off set the mood for the rest of the day for me.

scooter

Practically Family
That is a touching story, Monbla, and a classic example of how we are a bridge to yesteryear. I think we must not only dress like them, but conduct ourselves with equal humility and gentility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters