Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
There are so many oddball and "creative" (ha!) dressers in this town, I don't really stand out for wearing a fedora. However, a week before Christmas, I attended a local radio-on-stage performance of "It's a Wonderful Life." I wore a brown check three-button sport jacket, gray trousers, brown wingtips, a cream shirt, a red-and-gray tie, and my dark brown Royal Stetson. (I figured since the vibe was 1946, I should go with it.)

The ticket-taker looked me over, then grinned. "Like the fedora, sir."

(Now if I could just get my lady friend Miss Linda -- who looks a lot like the avatar Rue uses, here at FL -- to try a few vintage touches! She dresses very well, but not vintage or retro.)

rue

There are so many oddball and "creative" (ha!) dressers in this town, I don't really stand out for wearing a fedora. However, a week before Christmas, I attended a local radio-on-stage performance of "It's a Wonderful Life." I wore a brown check three-button sport jacket, gray trousers, brown wingtips, a cream shirt, a red-and-gray tie, and my dark brown Royal Stetson. (I figured since the vibe was 1946, I should go with it.)

The ticket-taker looked me over, then grinned. "Like the fedora, sir."

(Now if I could just get my lady friend Miss Linda -- who looks a lot like the avatar Rue uses, here at FL -- to try a few vintage touches! She dresses very well, but not vintage or retro.)

You do realize that's really me right? lol

Have her take a look in the FL powder room and maybe she'll change her mind :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
No, Rue, I didn't know that was you. My hat is off to you; glamorous you are, indeed.

I'll try and steer her there, but her response, I'm sure, will be "Why? It's so old-fashioned!"

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I was recently referred to as a "Dapper motherf*****" I was flattered, if baffled by the choice of language.

Espee

Practically Family
Who knows maybe "Dapper Motherf....." will be the title of a hot song some day soon. I won't guess who will do it, but I'm sure it will " feat. " some guest artist (they always do.)

TomS

One Too Many
I was wearing a 1940s Disney in the OR style, while buying something at a local coffee shop. I was standing in line when a very pretty young lady said, "Hey dude, I am really diggin you in that hat". Now I'm nearly 50, and I have to say that it made my day. Yes, it made my day.

Justin B

One Too Many
I was recently referred to as a "Dapper motherf*****" I was flattered, if baffled by the choice of language.

I don't know that I would have been able to stop laughing. A compliment to be sure, but honestly quite rediculous in it's delivery.

I don't tend to get a lot of comments on my hats outside of this friendly group. Today I bought a cup of coffee on my way up to the office ... as I turned to walk away with my cup after chatting with the cashier for a minute she called after me "your hat gives me everlasting life." I'd never heard that before but it seemed to suggest that she liked the Borsalino very much. I thanked her, a very sweet young woman with some significant tattoo work.

Shohei

Familiar Face
Nice Alan! I often find kind comment or compliment comes from those you might least suspect.

I was leaving work a few weeks ago, and fellow at the counter talking with our office admin stopped me dead to say he loved my hat (was my Stetson Twenty) and that he worked at a local tailor shop in town here, he said he wondered if that would be a good look and now was inspired to do the same. I had to run but thanked him.
My office admin said he stayed talking to her about the hat and wearing one, stating it was just exactly what he felt was missing from for him and for folks that came to see him for a "finished" look. Although there are not many wearing but I think its contagious ;)
In the very short time I have been wearing a lid many folks have come forward and had nice comments, outweighing any light hearted ribbing even.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I don't tend to get a lot of comments on my hats outside of this friendly group. Today I bought a cup of coffee on my way up to the office ... as I turned to walk away with my cup after chatting with the cashier for a minute she called after me "your hat gives me everlasting life." I'd never heard that before but it seemed to suggest that she liked the Borsalino very much. I thanked her, a very sweet young woman with some significant tattoo work.

LOL, your hats must have some inherent mystical qualities to garner a response like that!
Thanks for sharing.

An absolutely CLASSIC comment, indeed! Thank you for sharing that one.
This is definitely one of my favorite threads, and that could be one of he best, most current-era comments I've seen in a while. Somewhat like "Don't parch my mellow, man," from the late sixties.

eradock

New in Town
Compliments and comments

The most common comments I get are that I look "dapper", usually when I'm wearing a Homburg and/or have my cashmere overcoat on with a Fedora, and "nice hat".

Most compliments are followed with a comment about wanting to start wearing hats more often, which I encourage by giving them contacts at my favorite hat shops.

Espee

Practically Family
I was sitting on a bench at a shopping center, wearing my Jaxson Safari (more-or-less a Panama, in case "Safari" makes you think of a Pith Helmet.)
A guy about 30 said "Oh, a derby hat! It reminds me of the old gangsters, like Al Capone! You know, he died of syphillis... all that money he had but it didn't help him..."
There followed another minute (seemed like ten) on the topic of syphillis.
Finally(!): "By the way, I'm [name deleted]-- God Bless!"

amador

A-List Customer
Goes to show, a Hat is not just a hat. It reminded someone of a sexually transmitted disease as well that great equalizer,death inspite of worldly possessions. From the unsavory to spiritual quite a spread for just a Hat.

blitz1027

New in Town
Wearing an old Dobbs Homberg today and as I was getting lunch the lady at the counter stopped what she was doing and told me that I looked very sharp in my hat. Probably the nicest compliment I've had from a stranger. Usually they look at me or my brother who wears more hats than I do and thinks we are strange for wearing fedoras instead of ballcaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner